Chapala.com Webboard

Cream of tartar - where to find?

elisabeth

My bottle of Cream of Tartar was purchased at SuperLake many moons ago. I do not expect to see it in WalMart. It may be available at El Granero in Ajijic beside Gossips Restaurant.

As for location, in SuperLake, there are two and a half sections of herbs and spices, imported and otherwise, so you just have to what we all do: crouch and browse.

On 8/13/2018 at 2:36 PM, elisabeth said:

I'd like to get cream of tartar, which as far as I know is crema de tártara. What store?  And what would it be shelved with?  I am still learning how grocery stores group things here!  Alternatively,baking powder, but I prefer making my own with cream of tartar. Thanks.

If you want baking powder, look in any supermarket or corner abarrotes for Royal (roy-AHL), the most common brand in Mexico.  It's an actual brand, but has become a generic the way "Kleenex" is for a tissue.

So I must ask: what are the advantages of making your own baking powder, using cream of tartar and baking soda (and it would seem some kind of filler, like flour)? We know that the cream of tartar is going to set you back a few sheckles, while Royal is even cheaper than baking soda.

On the little bottle of McCormick Brand I bought years ago at the Surtidor de la Ribera (branches in Chapala and Ajijic -- each on main drags) it says Cremo Tártaro.

The bottle is less than half the size of normal spice jars  (holds 40 grams) so you might miss it.  It's VERY fine ---   I suspect making your own with baking soda etc. will yield a coarser product but no comment on how it might affect results.

You could also try SuperLaura in SAT

I am looking for Cremo de Tartara as I use it for wool dying. I usually by t in  farmacias in little bags of 6 or 7 pesos which is pretty expensive when you need kilos of it. It can also be found at SL and some fner supermarkets I buy the no brand  in little packages in Chiapas so it is availble in Mexico but you have to look for it if you do not live lakeside..

On 8/19/2018 at 11:37 AM, bmh said:

I am looking for Cremo de Tartara as I use it for wool dying. I usually by t in  farmacias in little bags of 6 or 7 pesos which is pretty expensive when you need kilos of it. It can also be found at SL and some fner supermarkets I buy the no brand  in little packages in Chiapas so it is availble in Mexico but you have to look for it if you do not live lakeside..

Brigitte, I found this on Mercado Libre: 1kg bags to order by the dozen.  And apparently the name is cremor tártaro in Mexico. 
https://listado.mercadolibre.com.mx/alimentos-bebidas/comestibles/cremor-tartaro

I believe cream of tartar is also a "coagulent", used to whip up egg meringues and whipped cream to create a faster and more durable fluff. I also have a memory of using cream of tartar to make "turkish delight" - it is part of the dry white power at the end. I always loved turkish delight, possibly because, only in Canada it is sold as a candy bar. Turkish delight coated in dark chocolate. It may be a British thing, as in when some of the kids in C.S. Lewis "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" where some of the kids where unable to resist the offer of Turkish delight. Egyptian confectionery is superb, we often used to buy from an Egyptian deli, and in general, I do not eat candy or chocolate at all.

Archived