Chapala.com Webboard

documents required to be in car

Ozalene

Is it true that you have to have the original Car permit in the car?. We had a copy with the original at home. We were stopped today and the Policial Vial man said that we had to have the original or the car would be impounded. We got out of it, and dug out the original to keep in the car, but we are just wondering if that is actually the law. Can they really imound your car for not having original documents in the vehicle?" My husband and I are Temporal and he has a Jalisco driver's license.

Very interesting, we've always been told to keep the original safely at home and have copies of these documents in the car (in the event the car is stolen).  I, too, would like to hear from someone who knows for sure if we are to have originals instead of copies.

Thanks, in advance,

Valerie :)

22 minutes ago, Ozalene said:

Is it true that you have to have the original Car permit in the car?. We had a copy with the original at home. We were stopped today and the Policial Vial man said that we had to have the original or the car would be impounded. We got out of it, and dug out the original to keep in the car, but we are just wondering if that is actually the law. Can they really imound your car for not having original documents in the vehicle?" My husband and I are Temporal and he has a Jalisco driver's license.

Get a notorized copy. 

FYI, according to the Guad transito head honcho who visited the LCS a couple of years ago,  this is not an infraction for which a car can be impounded.  He told those present to take the officer up on his threat because he will not have any place to take the car without facing some problems of his own.  DUI, drug offenses, accidents with injuries or death, etc can be cause for impounding.  Also says illegally parking where a hazard is created is a impounding offense.  Had to laugh at that one because I see cars double parked and blocking traffic on a regular basis.  Alan

Do you mean the factura? They recommend not even to leave a copy, or your pedimento, in the vehicle because it can be used as the basis for clever forgery. Proof of current liability insurance, proof of up to date circula for your plates, up to date driver's license (kept on your person). If the police try their waltz, say yes I have all that, but these papers are far too important to leave in the vehicle. Say you keep them at your lawyer's office for safekeeping, pick up your cellphone and offer to arrange an appointment. Of course this works better if you actually have a lawyer on annual retainer, and if you actually pass over the phone. This is unlikely to happen, but if it does, and the right lawyer, expect to see a yellow puddle forming around the police's feet!

By "permit" is it possible that the officer was asking to see for your "tarjeta de circulación"--the annually-renewed permit to drive legally...the paper that your sticker came from?

According to traficozmg you need to be missing two or more of these documents to have a vehicle impounded: driver license, annual tax hologram, and your tarjeta de circulación. Says nothing about factura, etc:

– Circular sin placas o con placas sobrepuestas, alterarlas o doblarlas, pegarles calcomanías, micas, o cualquier elemento que distorsione su visibilidad total o parcialmente

Carecer de dos o más de los siguientes documentos necesarios para circular: tarjeta de Circulación o constancia de pago correspondiente, holograma de refrendo anual vehicular, licencia de conducir

The factura should never be in the car. A friend of ours was asked to give the factura of his car after an accident and he gave it with a note on it that it was to be returned.. The people who ran into him, the lawyer who showed up and the transito were in on the scam, He let them put the car in a safe place until he paid for the damages and never was able to get his car back even after a court order.. NEVER give out the factura .. We do not have it in the car..

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:29 PM, Ozalene said:

No. But they can use that "threat" to get a bribe from you if you are not up-to-date on basic driving laws. I suspect he got a nice "mordida" from you. 

:(

I've always been told the original TIP papers must stay with the car, and match the sticker on your windshield. Not a copy. But also note that transitos cannot do anything to you, because the TIP is not their jurisdiction. Has this changed?

On 8/12/2018 at 6:29 PM, Ozalene said:

Unfortunately, this was a shakedown for mordida.  Could you give more details?  Where, when, description of the "cop"?

On 8/12/2018 at 7:29 PM, Ozalene said:

Where were you stopped and for what reason also do you have MX plates?

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:42 PM, ComputerGuy said:

I've always been told the original TIP papers must stay with the car, and match the sticker on your windshield. Not a copy. But also note that transitos cannot do anything to you, because the TIP is not their jurisdiction. Has this changed?

For what its worth, even Spencer told me last year do not leave the original in the car and go get a notarized copy.

Not that they cannot ask to see it, but they can do nothing about it. They can't even tell if it's legally in use after it's "expired" if you stay here for longer than six months, because your temporale allows you to keep the car as long as you have the temporale. I've been through this on more than one occasion.

On 8/16/2018 at 9:16 PM, ComputerGuy said:

Not that they cannot ask to see it, but they can do nothing about it. They can't even tell if it's legally in use after it's "expired" if you stay here for longer than six months, because your temporale allows you to keep the car as long as you have the temporale. I've been through this on more than one occasion.

Question on having a US car on tempo. Does the car needs to be currently register in US in my case Calif. ? Say my current regist. expires while in Mexico.

20 minutes ago, Tony321 said:

Question on having a US car on tempo. Does the car needs to be currently register in US in my case Calif. ? Say my current regist. expires while in Mexico.

All depends on who stops you, how good your Spanish is and how hard you want to resist "greasing the wheels" to be sent on your way. An attorney surely could give you the legal answer but here in Mexico that's not always how things work in real time.  South Dakota is (or at least was, maybe not still?) a low cost alternative to having an up to date registration. Very friendly folks in Clay County used to help many of us out.

I purchased a new Ford in 2000 in Texas and attempted to pay my tab fees every year even though I was in Mexico. The last year they approved and sent me new tabs was 2004. During future years I tried but failed. I could have gotten Dakota plates, but I never bothered. Finally in 2013 I sold the car to a friend who got Dakota plates and eventually drove it back to the states.

I drove this car most every day, 8 or so months per year in Mexico with expired tabs (2004) until I told it in 2013 and never had a problem because of the expired plates.  However because I had US plates I was stopped more often for supposed traffic violations than these days as I now have local Jalisco plates.

In my humble opinion here is what you should have when driving:

Foreign plated car temporarily imported by foreigner:

Original valid driver license

Original TIP (not recommended), copy certified by a Mexican Notary Public better (cost 50-60 pesos) and window hologram on windshield

Original temporary resident card if your TIP has an expired date (not recommended), copy certified by a Mexican Notary Public better (cost 50-60 pesos).  Showing valid temp card then shows your expired TIP is valid.

Valid Insurance policy for Mexico, policies from US/Canadian insurers can be problematic as they usually only reimburse in the event of an accident and do not send an adjustor which causes you to go to jail in the event of an accident.

Optional:  Birth certificate or marriage certificate or certified copy if you are not the importer but a family member who is driving and you are permanente or a Mexican citizen and you do not have the same last name as importer.  

Copy of registration (not needed but some Guadalajara transitos threaten to take car if you cannot prove that the plates you have are the ones issued) which shows your license plate number

Optional: Smog test sticker, usually doesnt apply to foreign plated cars but those in the state over 6 months are required to comply so if you show your temp card issued over 6 months ago they may ask you.

Mexican plated car:

Original valid driver license

Tarjeta de circulacion and window hologram on windshield

Copy of payment of fees for current year

Insurance policy

Smog test sticker

NEVER CARRY ORIGINAL TITLE OR FACTURA IN YOUR CAR.  ALSO BE MINDFUL OF KEEPING ORIGINALS IN CAR AS IF CAR IS TOWED OR STOLEN AND THEN YOU NEED SAID DOCUMENTS, WHAT WILL YOU DO? ASSUMING VALET / MECHANIC / CAR WASH / ETC DOESN'T STEAL THEM FIRST IF LEFT THERE.

IF DRIVING A VEHICLE WHERE YOU OR YOUR FAMILY IS NOT THE IMPORTER/OWNER, IT IS A GOOD PRACTICE TO HAVE A WRITTEN PERMISSION LETTER WITH A COPY OF THE ID OF THE IMPORTER/OWNER AS YOU WILL SHORTEN ANY WAITING TIMES IF YOU ARE DETAINED AND THEY ASK IF YOU REALLY HAVE PERMISSION TO BE DRIVING.  

Anything I left out?

The question may not be ‘am I OK with expired US plates’, but rather who can actually do anything about it if you are driving around expired. Transitos, no.

There is always the comeback that it is required that you do have to have current registration in  the state of Jalisco, but reality says that is not ‘normally’ enforced.  I think the point that almost no one here can answer is ‘what will my Mexican Insurance company do if I have a claim but have expired plates’. 

South Dakota is still viable and, by the number of SD plates one still sees Lakeside (and San Miguel I might add), it is not that hard to obtain and keep them ‘current’ annually. Cheap ‘insurance’. And cheap cost-wise too.... probably around $50 for most vehicles I see driving around here. My 2016 is only $90!

Archived