Chapala.com Webboard

A bit more parking near Superlake

cedros

Superlake's parking lot seems to be crowded all year now. On the north side of the lateral in from of Fenix Realty Fenix had parking marked for their people. That is no more as they did not have a permit. So maybe 5 more spaces are available.

Maybe this will ease up if Pancho actually opens his larger place in Riberas. At one point he said it would be just a deli; then weeks later he said it would be a full store. Since he was the continuing brains behind SuperLake's success, if he comes through, that will change everything.

Today's SuperLake is messy and poorly stocked, with fewer interesting items being replenished, a very low quality selection of fruits and veg compared to before, and higher-than-ever markups. There are no long any specialty vendors invited to display their wares; no shipments of discounted "end of lot" items; a baking area that has no schedule, and a bread area that is a joke. Added to that, no clear management on site and a cashier staff that could care less, and I can see the end of life for this place.

I don't go to Superlake often because of all the things mentioned by Computer Guy and other issues I have personally encountered.  A gripe I have almost every time I have had to buy something there is the price at the register is different than what was on the shelf. Always more.  Excuses are "there has been a price increase but we haven't changed the shelf sticker yet" or "somebody moved the price tags and these row of items belongs to the price on a different shelf" or just a shoulder shrug and a "do you still want to buy it at the higher price?"  And this happened before Pancho left as well.  To me it has always been a poorly run and overpriced store so I just spent my money someplace else if at all possible.  Parking, fender benders, and beggars just made it worse.  Having more space to park probably won't entice me to change my mind.  Alan

The fun begins turning left into the Super Lake parking lot when coming East to West and the mis-timed traffic lights cause all the cars behind you to have to wait until the traffic passes or someone coming the other way flashes their head lights to let you go... and you politely hurry and in so doing, you flatten the muffler on your car going over the excess rain bump/barrier. It is almost like hitting an unpainted tope at 40MPH, but you know this one is here and you still flatten your muffler! Then you look up and hope no car is coming out of the mechanic shop garage directly in front of you, while you skillfully avoid hitting a bicycle rider in the middle of the parking lot going the opposite of the flow of traffic, while slamming on your brakes to let the not-slowing down car that came in from the Fenix Real Estate entrance to the parking lot! When you finally get to resume your adventure, the three parking lot men and a windshield-wiper salesman all motion you to move forward so you can mow down shoppers who jump out from between cars and start criss-crossing in front of you after buying DVD's or shopping at Super Lake, naturally without looking left or right, as they wander aimlessly into the parking lot. When you finally spot a parking space, and calculate what angle you need to use to get into it, due to the haphazard angles used by your fellow parking lot adventurers, you have to slam on your brakes again because someone is trying to come into the parking lot the wrong way.... and this clueless wonder expects me and the 4 cars jammed up behind me to all back up, because they have no idea what they are doing is incorrect and  have even less of an idea as to how to use their reverse gear. Eventually it dawns on them that "R" means "reverse" and they correct their folly and you pull into your long awaited parking place only to have beggars whose feet are partially in your parking space motioning you with hand signals to stop, so they have more room and so that you have to park with the  tail end of your car stuck out n the parking lot traffic. You press forward sufficiently to ensure the rear end of your car does not get totaled by incoming traffic, yet no so much as to hurt the beggars, other than their feelings about getting their begging station space curtailed slightly.   

Phew! You made it, almost.

You get out of your car and a parking lot guy comes up to you and wants you to buy him a coke and some 15-yr-old girl with 2 kids comes up needing money for food and the windshield salesman is lifting my wiper blades and insisting that I need new wipers and quotes a price that drops 50% from the first offer he made, all before I have even had a chance to lock my car doors. There are two older women beggars who are there all the time (except Wednesdays, when the work the Tiangues) who sit and do needle-point all day or something  -- each with their own "station" at either end of the huge entrance to Super Lake. They used to smile, but now punish me with scowls for not having given them money the last time I was at Super Lake (in spite of giving everyone money at least once per week) and make motions with their hands to their mouths implying they want me to buy them food. Then I go through the gamut of some lady and her brood of little girls who have set up an expansive begging/bean selling station in my parking space, on the sidewalk and usually all of the area inside the store by the ATM machine. This group has given up all pretenses of trying to sell me beans and now the girls all just say "money, money, money." Yes, I know they are all worse off than me (but not by much after unexpected medical bills wiped us out!) Nonetheless, it rubs more of harassment and guilt-tripping than begging. I often think about sharing the old adage about catching more flies with honey than vinegar, but never do. It is what it is. 

Then you finally get into the store. That is a whole separate chapter in the adventures of a Super Lake Shopper, perhaps to be written at another date.

So true Aquaponicsman. That is why I park over by Fenix. It isn't quite as bad. Then I can exit (where the rain tope is) going left without having to pass in front of Superlake. 

You hit on all the points, but I do take exception with one: " and this clueless wonder expects me and the 4 cars jammed up behind me to all back up, because they have no idea what they are doing is incorrect". I'm pretty sure 98% of them know exactly what they are doing.

Archived