Chapala.com Webboard

Unknown creature

Alfa

We have been seeing this little ( about 1-1/12 mms long) worm- like thing in our bathroom recently. Our local exterminator says she has never seen such a thing. They are greyish, spineless, and when poked, stick a long thin neck out of either end. Crawl like an inch worm when stirred.

DSCF1043.JPG

I find those on my walls quite often. I don't know what they are, but they appear to be harmless. They always appeared to be some kind of cocoon to me, I never saw any head or tail come out the ends, but then I've never tried poking them, I just vacuum them up.

Termite shell casings.    If little guy is still in there,  while thing moves and looks like tiny dark brown "worm" when comes out.  If he's already moved on, will be "empty".  These are not the huge winged type.  They are nasty little buggers that tunnel into wood or cement with ease!  Had a lot of them in house we cared for in Chula Vista.  Takes VERY nasty stuff to exterminate them. 

When guy came to treat he removed wooden door framing ( which was ruined) and they had "eaten" huge amount of cement walls!!

We might be getting close but according to all the references I read, Termites ( and there are a host of different types) only occupy and eat wood and some other organic materials.We used to find holes in our concrete and my wife said they were made by Polillas. We never actually saw the insect(?) that made these holes.  We had an exterminator come to treat them and he drilled holes in the concrete and sprayed and poured insecticide into them that seemed to end it. Until this little fellow came along some months ago. We consulted a local exterminator and she said she had never seen such an animal and had no idea what it was. She was going to investigate but has not responded. I put some of them in a bottle to see what they might transform into but they just died with no results. It was fascinating the way the creature would shove its neck(?) out and crawl like an inchworm then just reverse by extending the neck(?) out the other end and carry on. Under a magnifying glass, we could not see any sort of legs that would assist its mobility.

50 minutes ago, Sea said:

Termites here tunnel though concrete. Whether they eat it, I don't know. The treatment is drilling in the concrete as you described.

I've never seen them "tunnel through concrete" but they definitely will tunnel along through mortar plaster. 

Archived