Chapala.com Webboard

Pet Peaves

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL! I just buy less and less in Walmart. I used to buy at least 1000 pesos a week worth... it's down to about 250 pesos. Sad. Waiting for Pancho's new store and hoping I can kiss Walmart goodbye... permanently.

37 minutes ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

trash and dog doo

?

As for WalMart, they didn't build it for us as a visit most times will make very clear.  The Mexican  community clearly loves it.

We appreciate the convenience of being able to get the mundane stuff there more easily than before.  I've also noticed the WalMarts here seem to be cleaner and nicer than the ones NOB. 

After they came, we also noticed significant improvements in both the El Torito and Soriana markets.  A benefit of increased competition?

And I love having AutoZone.  Makes it real easy to do those mundane fixes such as changing engine and cabin air filters instead of paying someone.  When my Honda battery went bad, I went to AutoZone and they switched it with a better one in about 15 minutes while I watched.

Neither store carries trash or doggie doo as far as I can tell.   However those are readily available locally from other sources.

Our past Chapala government seemed to be quite oblivious to street trashiness and potholes outside of Chapala, we shall see if the new one continues this tradition.  🙄

As for doggie doo, the expat community has met the enemy and he is us.  My favorites these days are the folks who bag the poop and then throw the bag on the ground or hang it on telephone poles.  The latter to dry it out you suppose?  The trash guys will not take them off the poles so there they stay until a neighbor disposes of them.

And then there are the many customers of dog walkers who don't bother to find out if said service includes picking up the poop.  For the most part it appears not.  For these dog owners, out of sight out of mind seems to be the solution.

Not much WalMart can do about that.  :D 

On 8/4/2018 at 11:58 AM, ComputerGuy said:

This is about pet peeves, and I guess a chance to indulge ourselves for a moment without reprisals or judgments. So I'm keeping it that way.

Oh, Friday, WalMart got a bunch of bags in from Bodega Aurora. Same flimsy plastic, but with the logo of the Bodega on them.

Superama, Walmart, and Bodega Aurrera (spelling, ComputerGuy) are all Walmart.  When you're shopping at Walmart, you'll see products with the Aurrera brand, as well as products with the Great Value brand.  All Walmart.  It seems that Walmart has borrowed plastic bags from another of its stores in the area. 

And by the way, the other day I picked up a Great Value brand cookie: Fudge Mint.  Much to my surprise, it's as close to a Girl Scout Thin Mint as any cookie could be.  I hope your Walmart carries them.

On 8/9/2018 at 10:38 AM, RVGRINGO said:

In New Jersey, a left turn signal means you will make a left turn.

On a highway in Mexico, a left signal means it is OK for the car behind you to pass you on the left.

How do you like your T-bone?

In Mexico, to make a left turn, you pull to the right shoulder, or use a lateral. Then, when traffic is clear in both directions, you can cross to accomplish your turn.....unless there is a yellow line. In that case, you must travel further, until you find a proper place, or a 'retorno', then return and turn right.

RV, what you say is true about the left turn is only true in certain areas of Mexico, certain parts of certain cities, and some rural areas.  One of my pet peeves is people who generalize their personal experiences to Mexico as a whole.  "All Mexicans..." do X.  "In Mexico, everyone does..." XY.  

4 hours ago, More Liana said:

RV, what you say is true about the left turn is only true in certain areas of Mexico, certain parts of certain cities, and some rural areas.  One of my pet peeves is people who generalize their personal experiences to Mexico as a whole.  "All Mexicans..." do X.  "In Mexico, everyone does..." XY.  

Yes, it certainly varies from area to area. 

Yes, I probably should have tossed some 'de vez y cuando' and a dose of 'quizas' into the mix, along with the universal need to guess the other driver's intent.

In some countries, blowing the horn constantly seems to warn away all threats, while others hang rosaries or blue beads from the rear view mirror.....unless it is missing, along with the tail lights, which only serve to make it easier for you to be followed. On starry nights, especially with a full moon, headlights are optional.

There is no such thing as an 'international driver's license', just international drivers.

Archived