Chapala.com Webboard

Pet Peaves

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, suegarn said:

Actually, many of us don't have a life that is 'easy and good'.  Doesn't mean that we can't also get peeved at the small stuff.  Don't assume that we're all living 'la vida bella'!

Thank you suegarn, my sentiments exactly!

This is about pet peeves, and I guess a chance to indulge ourselves for a moment without reprisals or judgments. So I'm keeping it that way.

Oh, Friday, WalMart got a bunch of bags in from Bodega Aurora. Same flimsy plastic, but with the logo of the Bodega on them.

7 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

This is about pet peeves, and I guess a chance to indulge ourselves for a moment without reprisals or judgments. So I'm keeping it that way.

Oh, Friday, WalMart got a bunch of bags in from Bodega Aurora. Same flimsy plastic, but with the logo of the Bodega on them.

Thank you, Computer Guy for bringing this back on topic.  Show me the expat who has no pet peeves or anything at all to gripe about.  Can't wait to hear from this saint.  Canonization to follow.😄

As a kid, I learned how to manage a peavey thing, but it was too much for me, as I was still quite small.  Some peaveys were kept in museums, as their use declined, and most just stayed quietly in a corner, as a well behaved pet would do.  I never did have one of my own, though I did have a dog.

6 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Must have been after noon as there were none before noon.  The bigger question is why do they run out of bags in the first place?  Possibly same management style that has shelf stocking blocking customers from reaching shelves?

Pet peeve- Gawking tourists in lala land who walk down the middle of the street 4 abreast, completely oblivious of cars backed up behind them. When I leaned out the window to tell one group to please move onto the sidewalk, they were blocking traffic, one of the guys yelled that I should "take a chill pill- it's Mexico". It never occurs to them that there are some gringos who actually live and work here and might just have to get to work or to their doctor's appt. on time. 

On 8/1/2018 at 2:21 PM, tomgates said:

In the spirit of common courtesies that make society run smooth, I offer up several things that drive me nuts 

1. People entering Walmart through the exit door. 

2. People with more than 20 items in the fast checkout line. Walmart again!

3. Drivers not following proper procedures at the La Floresta glorieta.

4. Drivers looking down at their laps (at a cellphone??) and not looking ahead. 

5. Drivers passing on the right going east through La Floresta. 

What drives me nuts is being in line, Walmart again, and end up waiting for the person in front of me loading a few cell phones, there should be a separate line for this nonsense.

On 8/2/2018 at 9:36 AM, Floradude said:

I agree with all of your points.

I also find it very irritating when Americans and Canadians ignore and violate traffic laws just because they are in Mexico.  

When in Mexico do like the locals do

11 minutes ago, Tiny said:

So you mean to laugh at the NOB's that get peeved over every little thing?

Thats a risk you take when driving a foreign plated car, happens in the US all the times to Canadians! 

And I thought that pet peeves was about Pets! Daft me!

Like pets that are permitted to run unleashed in the kids playground and are permitted to splash in the kiddie pool in La Villitta.                                                                It also seems that a ""poop and scoop"" practice does not exist there, either.

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:21 PM, tomgates said:

In the spirit of common courtesies that make society run smooth, I offer up several things that drive me nuts 

1. People entering Walmart through the exit door. 

2. People with more than 20 items in the fast checkout line. Walmart again!

3. Drivers not following proper procedures at the La Floresta glorieta.

4. Drivers looking down at their laps (at a cellphone??) and not looking ahead. 

5. Drivers passing on the right going east through La Floresta. 

Might I add drivers ( expats just as guilty as Mexicans of not using turn signals. Several times I would have let someone in if I knew what direction they wanted to go. Sometimes you can tell by the angle of the car , but many times not. So they try to creep up and you do not know if they want to do a U turn in front of you. If you let them in you block up all the traffic as the U turn person creeps out to see if there is any traffic going the other way.

Even more serious was the person in front of us with no break lights in Guad. You know what traffic is like stop stop go go go stop.

Saying I was a nervous wreck was an understatement.

In New Jersey, a left turn signal means you will make a left turn.

On a highway in Mexico, a left signal means it is OK for the car behind you to pass you on the left.

How do you like your T-bone?

In Mexico, to make a left turn, you pull to the right shoulder, or use a lateral. Then, when traffic is clear in both directions, you can cross to accomplish your turn.....unless there is a yellow line. In that case, you must travel further, until you find a proper place, or a 'retorno', then return and turn right.

And at Walmart, if you want to check something going in, you have to go thru the entrance door and then to the exit door to check your item.

My pet Walmart peeve is that many times the scanned price is not the same, usually higher, than the shelf price. Sometimes there is a sale sticker with an end date price but it's left after the sale price has ended. When I point it out, I get the posted price, but they don't change the shelf sticker.

On the plus side, Walmart prices are across-the-board, better than Soriana prices. And I like that Walmart gives free bakery samples; Soriana does that once in a blue moon.

Archived