Chapala.com Webboard

Pet Peaves

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Floradude said:

I agree with all of your points.

I also find it very irritating when Americans and Canadians ignore and violate traffic laws just because they are in Mexico. 

How about the plethora of Mexicans who ignore and violate traffic laws?

12 hours ago, bdlngton said:

Lanes 1 and 2 at Wal-Mart are for disabled people, pregnant women, and anyone of "la tercera edad."

At breakfast this morning, a Mexican Citizen, who's first Language is Spanish told me that LA TERCERA EDAD means anyone 65 years old or older.  Hey :) I qualify.

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

The handicapped are not treated with the same legal respect here as "back home". You can pick up a card for your windshield anywhere. On busy days, WalMart's handicapped parking spots are full, as we all know, and not with their intended audience.

I'm kinda liking a term I heard that is more fun and easier than "tercera edad": jubilado. (Don't know if there is a masc. fem. version.)

Jublilado means, retired.  I retired at age 50, long before mi tercera edad.  

2 hours ago, Arroyos said:

8 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Jublilado means, retired.  I retired at age 50, long before mi tercera edad.  

Evderything I looked up on Google also said "senior citizen" as a noun. But if it not appropriate, then, I cannot say I am all-wise to the daily colloquialisms and useages of the language. "Soy jubilado"?

https://translate.google.com/#es/en/jubilado

1 minute ago, ComputerGuy said:

Evderything I looked up on Google also said "senior citizen" as a noun. But if it not appropriate, then... "Soy jubilado"?

If you look at root of the word, the verb, jubilar, it translates as, to retire. 

My point is that the reason for a faster or shorter line (ha! at Walmart) or any other bennie aimed at an older person, the word jubilado isn't appropriate for those who retiredin their 40s or 50s.  

6 hours ago, geeser said:

Are you certain it isn't because she short changes gringos or charges the incorrect price because she doesn't know a Red Delicious from a Gala. 

Yes, 60.

Supporting your suggestion that it is 60 years not 65 as I was told, is that  one has to be 60 or more to get his/her senior discount card or INAPAM card.

I know my passport says that I am only 39. I am not sure what the 19 before the 39 means. Maybe the 19th month. It is getting too confusing for me :) 

After reading this thread I have to say how lucky you are that your life is so easy and good you have the energy to be upset about things like who stands in which line at Walmart and how many items are in their cart. 

1 hour ago, Xena said:

After reading this thread I have to say how lucky you are that your life is so easy and good you have the energy to be upset about things like who stands in which line at Walmart and how many items are in their cart. 

People usually find peeves more annoying when life isn't so "easy and good".

The subject was asking about people's "pet peaves/peeves"...and most have at least a few. My biggest p.p. is the fastidious women who "hover" and leave a wet seat behind for the next occupant.🙄

2 hours ago, Xena said:

Actually, many of us don't have a life that is 'easy and good'.  Doesn't mean that we can't also get peeved at the small stuff.  Don't assume that we're all living 'la vida bella'!

I was in WalMart today and smiled remembering this thread as I decided which of the long checkout lines to use. I think everyone regardless of age chooses the lane they think is going to move the fastest, and I have not noticed that there are any psychics who can predict that! Of course, the lane I picked had a cashier who was having trouble using the register. And instead of the thin plastic bags that used to break, WalMart is now putting your groceries in old boxes, thus reducing their trash and increasing mine, plus making it harder for me to lift my groceries today, as the cashier put all the heavy stuff in one wine box.

2 hours ago, JayBearII said:

I was in WalMart today and smiled remembering this thread as I decided which of the long checkout lines to use. I think everyone regardless of age chooses the lane they think is going to move the fastest, and I have not noticed that there are any psychics who can predict that! Of course, the lane I picked had a cashier who was having trouble using the register. And instead of the thin plastic bags that used to break, WalMart is now putting your groceries in old boxes, thus reducing their trash and increasing mine, plus making it harder for me to lift my groceries today, as the cashier put all the heavy stuff in one wine box.

Simple, buy cloth bags. If too heavy, ask them to re-bag.

Make sure you tip the baggers.

5 hours ago, JayBearII said:

My understanding was that Wal-Mart once again ran out of bags, not that boxes are any kind of environmental protection plan.  This is not the first time they have run out bags.  One time they were using the clear bags from the produce section.  They put all of my purchases in one big box that barely fit in the cart.  I would never have been able to lift it.  A car wash guy put it in my car.  At home I brought things in the house in plastic bags I had.  It took at least six bags to do that.   Sure glad I wasn't trying to ride the bus with that box!  Just one more example of the local Wal-Mart's disregard for customer convenience.  

Archived