Chapala.com Webboard

Pet Peaves

In the spirit of common courtesies that make society run smooth, I offer up several things that drive me nuts 

1. People entering Walmart through the exit door. 

2. People with more than 20 items in the fast checkout line. Walmart again!

3. Drivers not following proper procedures at the La Floresta glorieta.

4. Drivers looking down at their laps (at a cellphone??) and not looking ahead. 

5. Drivers passing on the right going east through La Floresta. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that it will do any good, but I agree with all of these, although I must admit that I occasionally enter through the Walmart exit door.

If you haven't done so already, perhaps you should post this on some of the Ajijic Facebook sites; I bet more people would see it. (Mexpat Chapala; Gringos Ajijic, etc.).

I agree and would add people blocking the isles in Walmart when there is no need to. I have never seen a place that this happens so often. If it is staff blocking the aisle they think nothing of giving you a dirty look if you try to get through. A customer physically threatened me when I tried to get around a blockade there once.

59 minutes ago, tomgates said:

People with more than 20 items in the fast checkout line. Walmart again!

We have a new store in PV, La Comer, part of the Comercial Mexicana group.  One of the first things we noticed is no "low item" checkout lane.  My wife summed it up perfectly when she said "They know their people".

16 minutes ago, Ferret said:

My pet peeve is misspelled words. ;) Other than that, I walk and drive defensively.

Good one Ferret, think anyone noticed?

Okay, my time to be grumpy. I most definitely use the seniors/disabled line at WalMart. After 66 years, and with this exciting new sciatic problem, I've earned it. The shopping carts are beside the Exit doors at WalMart; perhaps they would be wise to change the overhead sign or move them back outside where they used to be. Who most often blocks the aisles in Walmart, besides old friends bumping into each other? The staff. Who yells at the top of their lungs to all their friends in WalMart, no matter which aisle they find themselves in? The staff. What's the best part of my trip to WalMart, aside from getting out alive? Trying to make the senior ladies who bag my stuff raise a smile.

Yeah, here in PV it's clearly marked as being for disabled, pregnant and tercer edad so no need to apologize if we're using it solely because we are geezers.

Also people who are gawking at things and place their cart diagonally to block the entire aisle then look at you grumpily if you try to get by

Correct me if I am wrong, but "la tercera edad." means the third age or senior citizen.  And I know you have to be at least 60 years old to get year an INAPAM card.

So, how old does do you need to be to be considered in "la tercera edad."?  60?  I do not have the slightest idea.

Oh and my biggest complaint is that angry guy in the shopping line who gets mad at the lady working at the cash register because her English isn't good enough to understand him.

8 hours ago, ibarra said:

Sometimes disabilities or "none of the above" are not visible, please keep that in mind.

Perhaps we should take our handicap parking placards in with us? But if you decide someone shouldn't be in that line tell them you bet the $500 or 1000 pesos they are not disabled. Go out to their with them and look at their palca or placard and pay them their money. Everyone is happy and you have paid them for their trouble. I wouldn't object and you'd get a valuable lesson.

3 minutes ago, johanson said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but "la tercera edad." means the third age or senior citizen.  And I know you have to be at least 60 years old to get year an INAPAM card.

So, how old does do you need to be to be considered in "la tercera edad."?  60?  I do not have the slightest idea.

Oh and my biggest complaint is that angry guy in the shopping line who gets mad at the lady working at the cash register because her English isn't good enough to understand him.

Are you certain it isn't because she short changes gringos or charges the incorrect price because she doesn't know a Red Delicious from a Gala. 

The handicapped are not treated with the same legal respect here as "back home". You can pick up a card for your windshield anywhere. On busy days, WalMart's handicapped parking spots are full, as we all know, and not with their intended audience.

I'm kinda liking a term I heard that is more fun and easier than "tercera edad": jubilado. (Don't know if there is a masc. fem. version.)

Walmart created the exit problem when they moved the baskets so they could rent the local in the designed basket area. When you enter the store you get your basket turn and go to the door. Walmart could now fix this by changing the exit to the other (east) door. Then folks could leave their now empty basket in front of the rented local, good riddance. The problem of employees blocking the dairy aisle. It is just one more case of not caring about the customer. Almost all businesses in Mexico allow their young employees park at the places closest to the entry. This doesn't happen in Canada or the USA. My employees and I parked at the further fringes of the parking lot to help our customers. Customers are not viewed that way here. This attitude runs up hill as well when the municipality takes actions that make it impossible for your customers to get into shops with street closures and bike lanes that carry hardly any traffic. If the store goes out of business the municipality cares less. 

Another pet peeve is the utter disregard for traffic laws. Too many drivers and moto riders seem to have NO clue as to the rules. They go around to run the reed signal light and moto riders wander up through traffic when it stops or slows. The law says they must have their own lane and not share one.  

Archived