Chapala.com Webboard

Magnesium Bis-glycinate 200

I was in Canada recently and my sister told me she has recently been taking the above over-the-counter drug and has found it really helps with lessening cramps in the legs.  I looked up on the internet and could not find the same drug.  Many magnesium glycinates, but none with the bis in front.

Has anyone come across it down here or something similar that relieves cramps generally in the body, but especially in the legs and feet during the cold weather.  I think it has something to do with my age as I am a little over 70. 

Thanks.

Cramps, such as you describe, might be caused by dehydration and/or low potassium; especially if you take certain medications.  I drink at least two liters of water every day, in addition to coffee, milk, etc., and also eat one banana everyt evening to increase potassium. It works for me.

Something like 60% of people have a magnesium deficiency. The number one symptom is muscle cramps. Unfortunately our bodies have a hard time digesting magnesium as a vitamin supplement. Many people swear by a footbath containing magnesium sulphate (Epsom Salts) but I think magnesium chloride is probably far more effective as far as absorbtion is concerned. It is sometimes called magesium oil, and is sprayed on the skin. Get an electrically heated footbath, some magnesium chloride flakes (or liquid) and see if a few weeks makes any difference.

Something odd that works for me and others is tonic water. I keep a bottle by my bed. When I get a leg cramp, a couple of gulps takes the cramps away. Doesn't even need to be still bubbling.

14 hours ago, Arroyos said:

I was in Canada recently and my sister told me she has recently been taking the above over-the-counter drug and has found it really helps with lessening cramps in the legs.  I looked up on the internet and could not find the same drug.  Many magnesium glycinates, but none with the bis in front.

Has anyone come across it down here or something similar that relieves cramps generally in the body, but especially in the legs and feet during the cold weather.  I think it has something to do with my age as I am a little over 70. 

Thanks.

http://www.magnesium.ca/

https://www.amazon.com/CanPrev-Magnesium-Bis-Glycinate-Capsules-Gentle/dp/B016WZRL2Q?th=1

I take magnesium glycinate which I have muled down. 

Magnesium Chloride is easy to absorb through the skin. I buy the crystals at El Granero, across from the ajijic Hospital and mix them 1:1 with water and Voila! Put it in a spray bottle and give about 4 squirts on your big muscles or where it hurts. It tingles a little, but not uncomfortable. Won't cause diarrhea if you take too much like magnesium glucante or citrate will. This is a necessary element for bones and nerves and emotional wellbeing, nature's chill-pill....

6 hours ago, michael2595 said:

I do eat bananas regularly as well as drink at least 2 litres of water per day.  So will try the other suggestions as well.  Thanks for all your comments.  Much appreciated.

19 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Something odd that works for me and others is tonic water. I keep a bottle by my bed. When I get a leg cramp, a couple of gulps takes the cramps away. Doesn't even need to be still bubbling.

It's actually not odd at all- my 86 year old British stepmother came all the way from England to visit me last year (2 flights, having to change planes in Mexico City, she's amazing) and I mentioned to her that I get terrible foot cramps at night sometimes. She was a career nurse who received the Order of England for her lifelong service. 

She told me she takes quinine (she takes in tablet form) for the foot and leg cramps that she also gets. So that would explain why the tonic water works.

Dr. Mercola's website has a number of informative articles about magnesium. I understand there are various types, and some are absorbed more easily than others. I've come across references to magnesium citrate, mag. chloride & mag. theonate as being some of the better ones. I bought "Cloruro de Magnesio" at Prasad Health Foods across from El Toritos in 500mg tabs.

Just beware, if you start messing with your body chemistry with supplements, you’ll off balance something else.  Magnesium will pull the calcium out of your bones so you’ll end up with weaker bones.   

Here’s something to consider:

Can your body first digest the supplement?  Can it absorb it and then utilize it?  A lot of supplements come right back out in the same condition they went in.

Fix your glandular system.  Adrenal glands, utilizes most of your minerals.  You need a steroid in the presence of mineral utilization.(zinc, selenium, magnesium).  Calcium is from the parathyroid hormone.   You can work on those by supporting your glands with herbs or if you have too rebuild them using glandulars. 

Some leg cramping can be from poor posture.  Definitely try to get what you need from a whole food source.  If you want a supplement you can try kelp capsules where it’s dehydrated and crushed and you’re actually consuming a food.   Jicama is high in calcium.   Do some sort of a stomach and bowel cleanse so you can restore your absorption.   Dr. Schultz has some 5 day detox type systems, I’ve never personally used his products but knowing how impatient people are.  

For me, additional potassium works well. I drink a little coconut water each day. Also drink lots of water. When I was using inhaled steroids for asthma, I had serious leg cramps because the medicine leaches minerals from your body. Changed asthma medicine, fewer, milder leg cramps.

Archived