Chapala.com Webboard

Guadalajara Abastos - Restaurant Recommendation

barefootcontessa22

There are two restaurants in the abastos.  One is Korean and the other is Chinese.  The korean is good and the Chinese ok unless it changes back to when it was quite good.  There are other Mexican street typse but I would worry about their cleanliness.  The Mexicans fill them.  They are cheap.

There is a wonderful store directly across from the abastos on the street that has the overpass on Lazero Cardenas. It is a wholesale place that supplies food stores and restaurants but individuals can shop there as well.  if your speak no Spanish bring a dictionary with you.  I buy Turin chocolate, almonds, cocoa and spices there as well as other items at VERY good prices,

If you want call me and I will tell you how to navigate shopping there.  I can also help you with what things are available to you at the abastos.  The prices are good but the buildings open to you are limited  It is still worth a trip.  I can also suggest other places you can go for lunch.

AnnL

I believe the store Metuchenmama refers to is Mamá Coneja.  http://mamaconeja.com/  It truly is a wonderful place to shop.

Friends and I often went to the Abastos for comida, nearly always at the Korean fonda.  It's called Comida Coreana Lee, and it used to be excellent, although it's been a long time since I've been there.  Its address (inside the market) is Calle 2 #192.

I wouldn't worry about the cleanliness at the other fondas, any more than you would worry about the cleanliness at the Korean place.  Most of them have been in business for many, many years and are not in the business of making their customers sick.  The comment that "Mexicans fill them" implies that Mexicans don't care about cleanliness or getting sick.  Please.

La Gallina Feliz is the one I recommend

4 hours ago, More Liana said:

I believe the store Metuchenmama refers to is Mamá Coneja.  http://mamaconeja.com/  It truly is a wonderful place to shop.

Friends and I often went to the Abastos for comida, nearly always at the Korean fonda.  It's called Comida Coreana Lee, and it used to be excellent, although it's been a long time since I've been there.  Its address (inside the market) is Calle 2 #192.

I wouldn't worry about the cleanliness at the other fondas, any more than you would worry about the cleanliness at the Korean place.  Most of them have been in business for many, many years and are not in the business of making their customers sick.  The comment that "Mexicans fill them" implies that Mexicans don't care about cleanliness or getting sick.  Please.

4 hours ago, Frijoles said:

La Gallina Feliz is another store like Mamá Coneja and is a few doors down from it going towards Lázaro Cárdenas.  http://www.lagallinafeliz.com.mx

It is far superior to Mama Conejo.

Don't put ideas on me I haven't said.  You haven't been there in years so don't talk about places you don't go to and didn't when you were here.

Regardless of whether she was there yesterday or a decade ago, your comment that "Mexicans fill them" and "they are cheap" most definitely implies that Mexicans are dirty and cheap. Tell that to the people lined up at lunchtime at the various McDonald's throughout Guadalajara.

On 7/30/2018 at 11:21 PM, Metuchenmama said:

There are two restaurants in the abastos.  One is Korean and the other is Chinese.  The korean is good and the Chinese ok unless it changes back to when it was quite good.  There are other Mexican street typse but I would worry about their cleanliness.  The Mexicans fill them.  They are cheap.

There is a wonderful store directly across from the abastos on the street that has the overpass on Lazero Cardenas. It is a wholesale place that supplies food stores and restaurants but individuals can shop there as well.  if your speak no Spanish bring a dictionary with you.  I buy Turin chocolate, almonds, cocoa and spices there as well as other items at VERY good prices,

If you want call me and I will tell you how to navigate shopping there.  I can also help you with what things are available to you at the abastos.  The prices are good but the buildings open to you are limited  It is still worth a trip.  I can also suggest other places you can go for lunch.

AnnL

I can certainly second the Corea Lee restaurant in the front of the second building in. They have added a new Rollo that is like an egg roll with shrimp. It is fried and caution it is too hot to bite when placed in front of you. I like the Youry but everything is very  tasty. The only negative is the beggars coming around while ;you are trying to eat. Don't speaak to them while you are eating.  Web site with map here

19 hours ago, Metuchenmama said:

Don't put ideas on me I haven't said.  You haven't been there in years so don't talk about places you don't go to and didn't when you were here.

I beg your pardon?  "...places you don't go to and didn't when you were here..."?  You have a crystal ball?  I went frequently to the Abastos even when I lived in Ajijic, and lived close enough to the Abastos in GDL that it was routinely part of my shopping AND eating.  I have no idea who you are (nor is it important), but I doubt that you followed me around in the Abastos to see what I was doing. 

14 minutes ago, More Liana said:

I beg your pardon?  "...places you don't go to and didn't when you were here..."?  You have a crystal ball?  I went frequently to the Abastos even when I lived in Ajijic, and lived close enough to the Abastos in GDL that it was routinely part of my shopping AND eating.  I have no idea who you are (nor is it important), but I doubt that you followed me around in the Abastos to see what I was doing. 

More Liana is an amazing asset to this webboard and has probably forgotten more about Mexico, its culture and people than we will collectively know. 

Thank you very much for your contributions, More Liana. 

I had the same "Mexicans are dirty and cheap don't eat where they would" vibe from the original poster statement.  I have been taught to ALWAYS eat only where the place is crowded and busy because that indicates that the restaurant food is trusted.

I agree that you shouldn't interact with the beggars around the tables.  Toward the end of your meal buy a plate of pollo and beans to set at the end of your table. Then before you leave give one of the beggars a nod.  

Truck stops throughout Canada and the U.S. are famous for drawing customers who don't drive trucks, because of the same "eat where it's busy" mantra. Truth is, most of them suck at their cooking, but they are well-located and a lot of them offer showers and huge parking spots. (This knowledge from eating only at a very few, but from being friends with several truckers.)

4 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Truck stops throughout Canada and the U.S. are famous for drawing customers who don't drive trucks, because of the same "eat where it's busy" mantra. Truth is, most of them suck at their cooking, but they are well-located and a lot of them offer showers and huge parking spots. (This knowledge from eating only at a very few, but from being friends with several truckers.)

What I have personally learned about eating at truck stops is like eating at any restaurant, you have to learn which ones are good. I have had many good meals, specifically breakfasts. My opinion is that the better truck stops to eat at are normally at smaller towns.

Another tip for eating at a truck spot is knowing what to eat. What does truckers like to eat? Ask the truckers. 

Archived