Chapala.com Webboard

Northbound refugees in Chapala

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Tiny said:

So the refugees are now dregs?

That's how they have been characterized in the European press for many years. Other papers have called them poor victims. We can probably agree they aren't the cream of the crop and a certain percentage have been proven to be terrorists. Take your pick of sources as to the true percentage. To me, 1% would be totally unacceptable. 

20 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

How they do it isn't the point.

Not at all, your argument merely attempts to isolate and individualize an argument that cannot be isolated or individualized. In the case of WWII, some people formed a resistance. Are you saying there is no resistance in these other countries?

No, CG, I'm asking. Are most of these people willing to fight for there own country, in whichever way makes the best sense for them and according to their bravery, or do they just want to get the heck outta dodge and get some government somewhere else to support them?  I'm asking, not telling.

Gracias

Okay, then I just have to repeat what I asked earlier: just how many heroes are there? It's not like TV and the movies, right? I know from news items on the BBC, Al Jazeera, Canada, and other sources that are NOT U.S.-centric like CNN and Fox (neither of which seems to know there is a world beyone their own borders anymore), that there are tons of freedom fighters, resistance fighters, and other non-violent groups all over the east and Africa. I mean a lot. Just because U.S. news never comments on them... seriously.

And I don't think you really believe that most people are not willing to fight for their own country, or are looking for a handout. They are looking for some kind of sanity, some safety. About the same as you would feel if the U.S. was overrun by warlards, thieves, insurgencies, despots, terrorists, and the like.

Just a couple of points on the post regarding the numbers of refugees residing in other countries:

How much and from where are those countries getting money to warehouse these refugees?

How much does the UN pay to the US to accept refugees?  Wait, the US is the one paying most of all the UN costs so is likely sending a good part of the money these other countries are getting.

Would the people on the other side of this discussion stipulate that the US would be admired if they established refugee camps for these folks with similar conditions to the ones that were being praised for accepting so many refugees?  Don't waste your time, I know the answer to that one.

57 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

You know damn well I'm Canadian. And I learned more about the U.S., the people, the individual states, their economies, the GDP, and every other damn thing there was to know geopolitcally and historally by the time I hit grade 6. Way more than you ever learned about Canada, probably in your whole life. And your comment that I know little about it is taken from what I said? Show me where. No, don't proselytize: show me some facts. You can't, can you, because you are just throwing mud, as always.

Well.mr. canadian, I happen to agree with his observation of you,  I do not hear what you are saying about the illegals as what the American Citizens are saying. In fact, what I hear is that the people are fed up with the trash from South of the Border coming to Our Country without an invitation. So, we elected a President who promised to keep his promises, (and lots has already been accomplished) and he is taking care of the Supreme Court(as promised), so we think it is just a matter of time before Big changes take place. He is already telling the World to treat us fairly, or kiss our ### (Canada included). One thing my grandpappy taught me was that you do Not mess in the affairs of your neighbors, and to keep your comments about them to yourself. Sadly, you did not have a grandpappy like mine. You have never seem me comment on your country and how it should be or is.

19 minutes ago, Hud said:

Well.mr. canadian, I happen to agree with his observation of you,  I do not hear what you are saying about the illegals as what the American Citizens are saying. In fact, what I hear is that the people are fed up with the trash from South of the Border coming to Our Country without an invitation. So, we elected a President who promised to keep his promises, (and lots has already been accomplished) and he is taking care of the Supreme Court(as promised), so we think it is just a matter of time before Big changes take place. He is already telling the World to treat us fairly, or kiss our ### (Canada included). One thing my grandpappy taught me was that you do Not mess in the affairs of your neighbors, and to keep your comments about them to yourself. Sadly, you did not have a grandpappy like mine. You have never seem me comment on your country and how it should be or is.

Unbelievable!

SunFan

18 minutes ago, Hud said:

In fact, what I hear is that the people are fed up with the trash from South of the Border coming to Our Country without an invitation.

They are not the ones the U.S.A. should be worried out, nor terrorists, but rather domestic terrorism and mass shootings - far more destructive. The ones they should be worried about are the intellectual elites, the technical wizards, the ones who are curious about the "American Dream" - only to find out it is not true at all, a convenient fiction, a construct. So they return to their home countries, home cultures, home traditions and respect - even though they may not make as much money, or work as many hours. Their innovations become globalized. I HEAR ABOUT THIS ALL THE TIME, especially in the medical, academic, engineering and science fields. I have had many opportunities to immigrate/work in the U.S.A., including Hollywood, but I have to tell you there is not a single place in the U.S.A. that I would rather live in than Mexico or Canada. America is like an old prize fighter, on his last legs. Get used to it - real fast.

23 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I wish people would stop referring to undocumented migrants as "illegals". They may have committed an illegal act by entering the country without proper documentation and permission, but there is nothing about a person that is illegal.

Thank you!  No human being is illegal!

5 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

The U.S. is not the bag holder here. The current administration is. Every country in the U.N., and others, takes a huge number of immigrants and refugees every year. There is no other country with the population of the U.S. outside of Asia, and I have no idea how many people China takes, for example... but those with more have always been expected to give more.

When is enough enough? I have no idea. I am very glad not to be making those decisions. But I am not blind to the needs of the suffering, and suffering on such large scale. I can tell you I'm sick to death of the number of immigrants from specific countries in my home town who refuse to melt into the pot, and who are turnng certain neighbourhoods into slums, seemingly overnight. That doesn't cause me to say enough is enough.

Stop using Cuba as some shining light. I simply mention one place, in passing, that Americans might better understand. Again, I was obviously wrong.

Us Canadians take in a shitload of people every year, always have, with much more heart than many. If we expected to dump the problem on the U.S., we would have already, and yet we never have.

CG your  comment "who refuse to melt into the pot" is interesting because I thought Canadas attraction over the USA, is you can maintain your identity, whereas in the US you have the melting pot thing and give up your identity....

You don't have to give up your identity to fit in anywhere. Holy crap. Be yourself. Be original. Be whomever you want. But don't move into a different country and build a wall against it. If you think the term "melting pot" means losing your identity, you have the definiton all wrong. If you think the term "melting pot" is something to fight against? Go back home, because this will never be your "home".

And if you think Canada is attractive because of any one thing, well, you aren't paying attention.

1 hour ago, Islander said:

It is interesting how we all see the world and its affairs differently .

And, how some of us know all the solutions and problems of a neighboring country.

You know what would be interesting, is if the board could color code members by nationality. So per example, if a Canadian posted a thread, the typo would be say green and for the American's lets say blue and for all others how about yellow. If Insidelakeside did the same, then at least I could figure out who thinks what....!

This thread has clearly become political to the max,  and I'm surprised it's being allowed to continue.

On the comment about irony...it has definitely become so.  Color coding for nationality is downright funny.  Too bad color coding for common sense is out of the question.😎

Archived