Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for good redneck breakfast

rafterbr

26 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

There is history behind the "redneck breakfast": It requires fewer teeth.

Agree with that RV except for the slightly under cooked thick-cut bacon.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

No, of course not. I am saying they don't serve the kind of items that a so-called "redneck breakfast" is comprised of: grits, biscuits, gravy, etc.

ComputerGuy cannot receive messages.

4 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Went back to Canada for a couple of weeks, had lots of bacon. What a difference. Nothing here compares. But, bacon is bacon, and I will eat it here whenever I can.

Did it look something like this? These slices are a 1 cm cut before  cooking.  I get 12 slices per kg. Of course, with a little freshly ground black pepper. 

20180727_183500.thumb.jpg.567701c9be98070d7898557182aea0f2.jpg

35 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

I like Tiny's bacon.  You have to get into the deep south before you find grits on any menu.

The meat was ordered from my local butcher. Also I order thin cut smoked pork chops.  Very similar to ham. Less salty.

On 7/27/2018 at 8:59 AM, ComputerGuy said:

No, of course not. I am saying they don't serve the kind of items that a so-called "redneck breakfast" is comprised of: grits, biscuits, gravy, etc.

His first sentence said he likes eggs, bacon, hash browns and maybe pancakes.  I think Sunrise and Delicias serve those breakfast basics.  I'm not sure those are a strictly redneck breakfast foods.  Mom's apparently serves biscuits and gravy.  I don't think he mentioned grits so maybe people just figured a redneck breakfast meant a southern breakfast and therefore includes grits.

" eggs, bacon, hash browns and maybe pancakes" is not what I would call a southern or (excuse the term) redneck breakfast. That's just breakfast. And if our OP thinks that what it is, then he is most definitely wrong. But he specifically mentioned biscuits and gravy, and that ain't a standard breakfast where I come from. Canada, in case anyone forgets. You won't find a Jimmy Dean's or a Bob Evans in Canada.

Speaking of "just breakfast", they serve a nice one at Plaza Jardin on the square in Ajijic:  eggs, toast, good hash browns and bacon or sausage. Pancakes, too, if that's your pleasure.  (No grits or biscuits and gravy, though.) Reasonable price and great people watching.

The downside is the drop-in and sometimes bad musicians and endless stream of vendors.  The head gets weary shaking "no".😉

They do make a good breakfast. But they tend to be really, really slow. So be prepared to relax, Mexican style.

I'd add a comment about "hash browns". Some places are really good at making them, while others think chopping up a bunch of boiled potatos and stir-frying them for a couple of minutes is okay. It's not. I don't remember what they are like at Jardin Plaza.

Gingal, I go to the El Jardin in the Ajijic Plaza several times per week. Our group gets there about 8 AM and are gone by 9:30 AM.  At that hour, we have had the occasional person selling flowers and the shoe shine man, but luckily that early we don't see any musicians :) 

23 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

They do make a good breakfast. But they tend to be really, really slow. So be prepared to relax, Mexican style.

I'd add a comment about "hash browns". Some places are really good at making them, while others think chopping up a bunch of boiled potatos and stir-frying them for a couple of minutes is okay. It's not. I don't remember what they are like at Jardin Plaza.

They make 'em the U.S. way: super thin strips fried until they are a honey brown, slightly greasy mass, but not too greasy.  Like a Denny's.  Not healthy, but very tasty.😋

I just came back from Ottawa, and met my old friends three times for breakfast at a place that is absolutely packed every day. Yet the hash browns, which take up half the plate, are awful, as I described above. Yet another place that almost sees no business had a killer version. I know Sunrise here makes them pretty good, but they use that awful butter, which kinda makes it unpleasant.

In the rural areas of Texas and Oklahoma a breakfast staple is biscuits and gravy.  For many people this is all they have for breakfast.  Most restaurants also give you a choice with your regular breakfast.  You can have toast or biscuit and gravy.  Biscuit and sausage gravy is very popular but in my restaurants we provided a simple black pepper gravy which many other restaurants also serve.  Going back to a real redneck gravy the best is made from the leavings after you fry a squirrel next best is chicken.  These are home made graveys you have to make yourself.  The best bacon is what we call Arkansas bacon which is similar to Tiny's.  Usually thick, lean and a little wider than Tiny's.  Canadian bacon is usually like ham with very little fat.  I f you want the real bacon taste however you need a little fat for flavor.  I know some restaurants substitute ham for Canadian bacon.  

15 minutes ago, jguerin said:

Just by curiosity, how much is the breakfast in Ottawa?  Glad you are back.

Thanks. Well, a wide gamut, and certainly sticker-shock worthy. Dunn's Famous smoked meat has a $5.99 special, at one of their out-of-the-way locations (nothing like that at their main outlets). But typically I was paying $8.99 to $14.99, the lower price being the special. That's two toasts, two eggs, two bacon, hash browns, coffee/tea w/refills. Once I ordered eggs benny and the price was $15.99 at the same place that charged $8.99. So in pesos, $130 to $215, with that cheaper special being 85p.

2 hours ago, rafterbr said:

Going back to a real redneck gravy the best is made from the leavings after you fry a squirrel next best is chicken. 

I was wondering when Redneck cuisine would wind its way into possums and squirrels! Here is a recipe for vegan bacon, the exact opposite of Redneck bacon, using rice paper. It actually sounds quite delicious ingredient wise, but a lot of trouble to cook. But still, if you want to "eat healthy", this may be the answer. The idea of using meats as a flavoring, rather than a main focus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/no-pigs-were-harmed-in-the-making-of-this-bacon/2018/07/23/1e74d60c-8c2d-11e8-a345-a1bf7847b375_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.92a70eff0613

14 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

" eggs, bacon, hash browns and maybe pancakes" is not what I would call a southern or (excuse the term) redneck breakfast. That's just breakfast. 

Here is a good example of a Southern breakfast, ham cooked in Coca-Cola, grits, red eye gravy.

Country-ham-slices9.jpg.d949f210e01d6cba5968568ece975d36.jpg

Gravy normally come three ways, white, brown with meat drippings and red eye with coffee. 

The derogatory term "redneck" normally refer to some people in a region between the Midwest  and the South. 

Quite right,  Has anyone seen a breakfast like this around here?  I usually did red eye gravy at dinner it is great over mashed potatos,  meat loaf, cornbread dressing, etc.

I probably don't qualify to be a redneck but I had a restaurant at Lake Eufaula, Oklahoma which is redneck country.  The men were all gogetter's.  They would take their wife's to work and than go get her.  

"Redneck is a derogatory term chiefly but not exclusively applied to white Americans perceived to be crass and unsophisticated, closely associated with rural whites of the Southern United States.[1][2] Its usage is similar in meaning to cracker (especially regarding Georgia, Texas,[1] and Florida), hillbilly (especially regarding Appalachia and the Ozarks),[3] and white trash (but without the last term's suggestions of immorality).[4][5][6]

By the 1970s, the term had become offensive slang, its meaning expanded to include racism, loutishness, and opposition to modern ways.[7]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck

So keep on using it.

• 3 weeks later...

Dios!!!! You are making it so dificil for me to please mi esposo!! LOL

He loves my (and mi Madre) cooking, so he says, but he was reminded of his country upbringing when he read this post... he keeps bringing it up. Asking my mother... when he mentions things a few times over a few days I know he wants it....

He said his mimaw ??? would get up early early in the morning and make a big breakfast before they hit the fields as the sunrise ..

I am trying to find a recipe for drop biscuits?? And a cream gravy with sausage?? in it??

Keeping mi gringo happy.....

The route to his heart is through his stomach sometimes... and the bonus is I get neat for the kitchen

Archived