Chapala.com Webboard

More car questions

Hi All,

If you are living in Mexico on a temporal visa, can you buy a Mexican plated car?

About how much money is Mexican ins?(I know that's a broad question- I'm just looking for a ballpark figure) This would be for an American plated car and a Mexican.  Would one be different than the other?

Thanks,

Helaine

Yes.  My Mexican insurance on honda CRV runs me about $400 per year including on site legal.  Always make sure you have that.  For U.S. plated car I think you have to purchase insurance NOB.  

Great place to look for used cars in good to great condition is at the car wash in Riberas.  Rafa buys cars out of state from places with much better roads and hence they tend to be in better mechanical shape.  Several of my friends have bought from him and been very satisfied.

15 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Yes.  My Mexican insurance on honda CRV runs me about $400 per year including on site legal.  Always make sure you have that.  For U.S. plated car I think you have to purchase insurance NOB.  

Great place to look for used cars in good to great condition is at the car wash in Riberas.  Rafa buys cars out of state from places with much better roads and hence they tend to be in better mechanical shape.  Several of my friends have bought from him and been very satisfied.

What year CR-V if it's not too personal of a question.

Just for comparison sake-- on my 2017 Mazda CX5, my insurance is 9,000 pesos per year Incl(about 600 Cdn) On my Highlander, which I brought into Mexico when new and kept AB plates on it, my cost for insurance was less than $300. I bought the insurance here in Ajijic. You can get it through the AAA or from other sources at the border or within Mexico.

We're definitely bringing one car and it will have Fl. plates, and we'll get ins before we come.  TRYING to get rid of the Infiniti, but of course, I'm upside down in it and it was previously a lemon buy back.  Even though it runs perfectly, that's a problem for resale.  We'll take a bath trading it in.  That's why we were going to bring it, but it's really too big for down there.  It's a Qx60.. Yikes.

My husband might buy a used clunker or a little better than a clunker when we get there, so we have one Mexican plated car, for if we drive out of Ajijic......

Maincoons- you were there when we lived there before- I remember that name.....

Thanks to you both.......

Helaine

You might check to see if you can get your US car repaired or serviced down here. We had to sell our Buick as any repairs would take a great deal of time and expense to get replacement parts from NOB...

My dos centavos...

10 minutes ago, rvanparys said:

You might check to see if you can get your US car repaired or serviced down here. We had to sell our Buick as any repairs would take a great deal of time and expense to get replacement parts from NOB...

My dos centavos...

Good suggestion. Thanks

Helaine

We drove down from Canada with a stufffffed van. That was '96. Drove the van back to Canada the following year and dumped it after using it for carting construction material for three months helping a friend rebuild their cottage. I had specifically made sure we bought a van (used) that had metric parts and could be serviced in Mexico. Every single part that we needed was ever so slightly different in size even though Canada and Mexico are both metric countries. Heads up!

2 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

What year CR-V if it's not too personal of a question.

Not at all.  2012.  I may be guessing at the premium a little high, still it is much cheaper than the same car was in New Mexico.   I didn't go with the cheapest insurer I went with the most solid and recommended one.  

Well whoever it was obviously is not a good source.  The best advice comes from a lawyer. The next best type of advice comes from someone who says "Here's how we did it, but things may have changed, etc., etc."  That's what we used to tell people staying in our BnB, especially when they said "Well Karen Blue said xxx or Judy King said yyy".  We and they were probably all accurately describing how we did something. As you well remember, Mexico likes to change "how you do things" on a regular basis, lol.

You will see lots of changes from 2008, not the least of which will be the folks who now call lakeside home. Not better, not worse but definitely different.

Oh, and if you're wondering.....the answer is yes.

Hi Helaine, Good to hear from you & that you are going to move back. I wish we were able to move back too. Now, straight from the chatboard:

Yes, you will be able to buy a car in Jalisco as a Residente Temporal, with the CURP that INM will give you & will show on your visa card (but you will need to print from the online government source), and maybe even an RFC tax number frolm 'Hacienda'.

B&L

To make this a painless adventure, I suggest seeing Spencer McMullen (lawyer) or Spencer Shulman (S&S auto sales)... If you by from S&S there are no problems. If you buy elsewhere, I would suggest Spencer McMullen....

Helene, bring your nice car.  There are plenty of nice cars here.  If you need something smaller buy a small village car after you are here a few weeks.  If you go back in a year or two you have your nice car.  It is nice you are coming back.  It is also highly probable you will not stay.  It is THAT different.

1 hour ago, solajijic said:

t is nice you are coming back.  It is also highly probable you will not stay.  It is THAT different.

Hahaha.......................Amen to that sol

My mechanic will go to the weekend Guadalajara car auction (misnomer - no auction just private sales). He'll help pick out a car. Tell you what's wrong with it, how much to fix and fix it for you. He'll walk you through making sure the title is clean. 

My opinion about your QX60.... keep it, drive it down and use it here.  I don’t think that a QX60 is too big for Ajijic; bigger than a CR-V or RAV4 but certainly not too big. And especially if you can afford to buy another Ajijic car to kick around the village in,  I’d keep the Infiniti. 

If you are going to ‘take a bath’ trading it in, and because it is a Lemon Law buyback making it hard to sell, I’d for sure keep it. If you are still around 4 years from now you can rethink what to do with it then, and if you leave (Ajijic is ‘not the same and we no longer think we like it’) then you still have a nice vehicle and didn’t ‘take a bath’.

All of this is assuming that the QX60 is mechanically OK... some/many of them had issues with the CVT transmission... maybe this is what the Lemon Law buyback was all about. 

47 minutes ago, RickS said:

My opinion about your QX60.... keep it, drive it down and use it here.  I don’t think that a QX60 is too big for Ajijic; bigger than a CR-V or RAV4 but certainly not too big. And especially if you can afford to buy another Ajijic car to kick around the village in,  I’d keep the Infiniti. 

If you are going to ‘take a bath’ trading it in, and because it is a Lemon Law buyback making it hard to sell, I’d for sure keep it. If you are still around 4 years from now you can rethink what to do with it then, and if you leave (Ajijic is ‘not the same and we no longer think we like it’) then you still have a nice vehicle and didn’t ‘take a bath’.

All of this is assuming that the QX60 is mechanically OK... some/many of them had issues with the CVT transmission... maybe this is what the Lemon Law buyback was all about. 

Yep

it it has a new transmission and an extended warranty. Maybe we will keep it.

my plan would be to stay, but you know what they say about the best laid plans.....lol

But,  we have to get there first!

h

On 7/22/2018 at 2:25 PM, solajijic said:

Helene, bring your nice car.  There are plenty of nice cars here.  If you need something smaller buy a small village car after you are here a few weeks.  If you go back in a year or two you have your nice car.  It is nice you are coming back.  It is also highly probable you will not stay.  It is THAT different.

In what way?

Crowded doesn't even come close to describing the area.  Busy. Everyone is 10 years older.  The weather is changed a bit as it is a tad colder in the winter and hotter in the summer.  It'll  be a whole new experience.  Nothing is the same.

6 hours ago, solajijic said:

Crowded doesn't even come close to describing the area.  Busy. Everyone is 10 years older.  The weather is changed a bit as it is a tad colder in the winter and hotter in the summer.  It'll  be a whole new experience.  Nothing is the same.

I moved to Ajijic in  2008 from SMA (which is unbelievably crowded now.)  Since that time, the Malecon was built; a beautiful place to walk in the morning.  The adjacent park doesn't flood and has new facilities.  There are many more restaurants to choose from as well as other conveniences.  There are cultural events that didn't exist in 2008.  The weather has changed a bit, as it seems to have done everywhere.  More cozy fires in the winter. The Mexican people who were here first are just as warm and welcoming.  I can't say I'm feeling better at ten years older, but it's amazing how enjoyable life can be if you bring a positive attitude to it.  Welcome !

47 minutes ago, gringal said:

I moved to Ajijic in  2008 from SMA (which is unbelievably crowded now.)  Since that time, the Malecon was built; a beautiful place to walk in the morning.  The adjacent park doesn't flood and has new facilities.  There are many more restaurants to choose from as well as other conveniences.  There are cultural events that didn't exist in 2008.  The weather has changed a bit, as it seems to have done everywhere.  More cozy fires in the winter. The Mexican people who were here first are just as warm and welcoming.  I can't say I'm feeling better at ten years older, but it's amazing how enjoyable life can be if you bring a positive attitude to it.  Welcome !

Love it!

my favorite saying is as follows:

the one thing that never changes is that everything ALWAYS changes....

im 10 yrs older too😩

im sure we’ll still love it, as we did before .

Archived