Chapala.com Webboard

I am not very sensitive to pollen, but got a painful sinus congestion over both eyes today and while talking on the phone to friend, he said he was in bed yesterday with sinus congestion and even pain in his ears. Is there some pollen going around right now or is it a mold? What is the best method for treating it?

This board is most often used to answer general questions about life here. I would certainly come here first with that kind of question. It is doubtful that if more than one person is experiencing it, that it is a question for a physician. For example, jacaranda allergies: I only experience it about every four years; some experience it every year, and this board is the perfect place to ask about it. And personally, I don't go rushing off to a doctor about every little thing.

I have to ask, "Rick": what was your former name here? Every one of your five comments so far has been judgmental or disparaging. A great asset to this community. Please, lighten up.

One of the easiest things to try to rule out an allergy is taking an antihistamine.   For me that is Loratadine 10 mg every 12 hours if needed.  In the States this is known by the brand name of Claritin.  I never had hay fever type allergies until I moved to Ajijic 15 years ago.  Now I always have Loratadina on hand.  I may not need for many weeks and then all of a sudden I am taking it all the time.  

I use a CPAP machine, making sure to keep the filters clean. I don't have sleep apnea - that is long gone - but the machine forces your sinuses open, filters the air, and prevents snoring. You can buy a new one in Mexico from Resmed, a couple thousand dollars, or a rebuilt one from https://www.secondwindcpap.com/for as low as $250 - plus fresh, never been used masks and tubes.

5 hours ago, Floradude said:

One of the easiest things to try to rule out an allergy is taking an antihistamine.   For me that is Loratadine 10 mg every 12 hours if needed.  In the States this is known by the brand name of Claritin.  I never had hay fever type allergies until I moved to Ajijic 15 years ago.  Now I always have Loratadina on hand.  I may not need for many weeks and then all of a sudden I am taking it all the time.  

That is a really good suggestion. For some people, also an additional note about drowsiness.

I am certainly not a doctor but what works for me is when I am in the shower I breathe the water through my nose.  This opens the nasal passages and the liquid starts flowing from the sinuses. You can buy commercial products for this but this works well for me.  I asked my doctor about it and he said this was how his wife cleared her sinuses but he couldn't stand the thought of snorting the water.

Just a precaution.  There's products out there we probably all know about now where you force water in one nostril and out the other.  The products all say to use distilled water.  I would be a little concerned about using tap water because of bacteria.

Antihistamines can definitely raise your blood pressure - enough that you may have difficulty sleeping. The best spray for sinus and inner ear is silver colloid. It is like water, but has elemental silver dissolved in it. I also add a tiny bit of himalayan pink salt, just to make it more naturally saline (shrinking inflamed tissue), and the sulphur content is also good against other bacteria. Silver colloid is one of the few antibiotics which can kill staph infections. 30% of inner ear and sinus infections are caused by this, especially recurrent ones, antibiotic resistant. Also, eye strain and beginning glaucoma can feel like sinus infection, get your eyes checked by Dra Claudia. You are not getting younger.

here is the science behind it - but Ferret is probably the only one on this board who can read it!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4740956/

never mind, if you google you will find lots of alternative and mainstream medicine articles.

Start with warm salt water and clean out the sinus through your nasal passage and gargle for that tickle from post nasal drip.   You can rub your sinuses below your eyes in the upper cheek area and above your brow in a circular motion clock wise on both sides(clock wise is positive :D ).   You can pull your ears with a technique that also allows drainage as you pull, release and then rub the lymph nodes below your ears down your neck, same deal, positive direction and down to help with drainage.   You could do ear candling...however, I have the candles but no one to burn them in my ears for me so can’t say how well that works.

The herbs I use, you can ask Dr. Elizabeth next door to SuperLake or a go to for sinus’ is Ginkgo Biloba.   I order a yearly supply of Starwest Botanicals Memory Tea Organic from Sacramento, CA for sinus problems, I had gotten so bad I couldn’t remember what side of the road to drive on.    For what you can find around here I highly recommend dandelion root/horse tail/parsley tea and ginkgo biloba capsules that you can find in the natural farmacia next door to SuperLake.   Also, you can clear it out fast by boiling some water then add a drop of peppermint essential oil or DoTerra Breathe, turn the stove off, drop a drop, put a towel over your head and wowzer, you can open the sinus area up!

I keep on hand some sort of mint or Halls to help with post nasal drip when I’m out and about.  

We’ve been down here since 2006 and chronic sinus problems.  This year we installed highly efficient Lenox split air units in the bedrooms and great room, it has helped reduce my sinus problems to a minimum filtering the air.  We have so much year round pollen and local raw honey can’t help the dirt or smoke/contamination.   Before the rainy season, we ran the air sparingly, with solar power our bill was less than 20 pesos for 2 months.  We’ve been running as much as we want since the rainy season, sleeping with the air filtering in 2 of the bedrooms and our bill was around 250 pesos for 2 months.   Bedrooms are 1 ton/great room is 2 ton.  Worth it!  

Increase your fresh fruit consumption!   Try eating fruit all morning and then your cooked food in the afternoon/evening.   That helps get things moving. Stay away or limit dairy/meats/breads that are mucus forming.    

Archived