Chapala.com Webboard

“If there’s not a change in Mexico with Andres Manuel, then God help us.”

Jim Bowie

Before this thread goes crazy would like to remind all that unless you are a Mexican citizen you have no right (and in fact it's against the law) to comment on anything political in Mexico.

Personally I think the story is a good read and hope at least some of AMLO's plans can come true. (Yes, I am Mexican.  No, I did not vote for him!).

35 minutes ago, gringal said:

There is a huge difference.  AMLO wants to help the poor.

They both do.  Wages are rising,  more people are working and the U.S. economy is taking off after years of stagnation.  Tax law changes are bringing billions back to the U.S. and shedding job killing regulation is moving the U.S. to the fastest growing economy in the world, plus once again being acknowledged as the most competitive.

The poor are helped the most when they can find jobs at decent pay.  If there's anything that has failed the poor it is the handout system which keeps them trapped in a barely subsistence standard of living.  Mexico doesn't have enough good paying jobs and the working people have been exploited by these NAFTA sweatshops.  Both leaders see fixing this as a priority.

Watch and learn how well these two work together.   I like what I see already from AMLO.  He is planning to go after illegal immigration and human trafficking on Mexico's southern border and he has announced he will slash the size and ridiculous pay levels of the Federal government.  I really wish though he'd reconsider the need for strong personal security as a lot of corrupt people are going to really hate him.

6 minutes ago, Tiny said:

Did the AMLO say where the money is coming from to help the poor?

His quoted intentions are to cut the contracts based on personal favors, cut the patronage jobs and whatever else isn't contributing positively to the Mexican treasury.  In the U.S., the major pundits are predicting a recession for 2020.  We shall see how all this works out. My crystal ball isn't always on target.

4 hours ago, Natasha said:

you have no right (and in fact it's against the law) to comment on anything political in Mexico.

3 hours ago, mattoleriver said:

Please cite that law. Does the same law apply to people outside of Mexico replying to this board? 

The translation of Mexican Constitution Article 33 that I read said:

"Foreigners may not in any way participate in the political affairs of the country."

Is "commenting", "participating"?

49 minutes ago, Tiny said:

The translation of Mexican Constitution Article 33 that I read said:

"Foreigners may not in any way participate in the political affairs of the country."

Is "commenting", "participating"?

I don't think anyone gives a hang what our opinions about the political situation is here or in the states as long as we don't "participate" in politics here.  Easy distinction, IMHO.  I had a friend who got physically involved in supporting a prominent rebel organization in Puerto Escondido, and indeed, she was deported to the States.

1 hour ago, Tiny said:

Did the AMLO say where the money is coming from to help the poor?

I think he's looking for big savings from cutting corruption and bloated overpaid government expense.  He also plans a big increase in the minimum wage.  There have been stories reporting both initiatives in the Mexican press.

The elections are over.  No one here is participating in electoral politics.  The new government looks to really shake things up in this country and we most certainly have a stake in that, particularly if we have property and/or investments here.

I view AMLO as a badly needed breath of fresh air in this country and I am rooting for his success.  Same goes for this big changing of the guard right here in Jalisco.  

This afternoon Secretary of State Mike Pompeo flew to Mexico City to meet with AMLO.  Accompanied by Secretaries of Homeland Security and Treasury.  And Jared Kushner who has a good working relationship with Luis Videgaray, now Mexican Secretary of Foreign Affairs and formerly Finance Minister and key to the NAFTA negotiations. 

Not trying to get political, but a reset of US-MEX relations with the new President-Elect couldn't hurt.  

On 7/13/2018 at 9:44 AM, Natasha said:

Before this thread goes crazy would like to remind all that unless you are a Mexican citizen you have no right (and in fact it's against the law) to comment on anything political in Mexico.

Personally I think the story is a good read and hope at least some of AMLO's plans can come true. (Yes, I am Mexican.  No, I did not vote for him!).

I believe you are incorrect. There are no laws against foreigners discussing Mexican politics, that's absurd. Commenting and discussing is not the same thing as participating in Mexican politics- that is what is illegal.

Perhaps it could be tested: Just go down to the town square, stand on a bench and comment upon the political situation in Mexico. 

I would not try that, but you might........ Heck, nine times out of ten might be OK, until an INM agent is on his way back from lunch.  Oops! You just got a free flight out of Mexico.....without your baggage.

No , I would certainly not suggest that, RV- standing up on a bench in public and making political comments could definitely be seen as participating in politics. Although this is a "public" forum, exchanging comments on a community forum, where everyone has to sign up to be a member, is way different. I doubt if INM gives a toss about what a bunch of foreigners (and the occasional Mexican) talk about between themselves here.

Archived