Chapala.com Webboard

Budgeting costs of reconnaissance

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am glad my comments were helpful. Don't let anyone talk you out of giving something you are interested in a shot. Of course you need to be informed about the realities - both good and bad - but anywhere you go there will be trade-offs.

It might be practical to do the 180 day tourist option for quite a while - under current laws pretty much forever. You would just have to budget for a trip to the border twice a year to get another 180 tourist visa. The cheapest way would be by bus - not sure about the cost but you could probably find that information online, The "first class" buses in Mexico are very comfortable. About 700 miles each way so a pretty long trip but totally doable.

Unfortunately under the current immigration laws I don't think "earned" income from a job or freelancing counts to meet the financial requirements - no matter how much a person earns that way. They are looking for "permanent" sources of income likes pensions and/or social security. But that would not come into play for the twice a year tourist visa so you could do that.

I am sure you will make the best decision for your situation. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. 

13 hours ago, REC said:

Unfortunately under the current immigration laws I don't think "earned" income from a job or freelancing counts to meet the financial requirements - no matter how much a person earns that way. They are looking for "permanent" sources of income likes pensions and/or social security. But that would not come into play for the twice a year tourist visa so you could do that.

Someone else said that too but I had my doubts and checked at the Mexican Consulate website.  I thought it just said "income" period, but I could be wrong. If that's the case, then they definitely only want the independently wealthy and retirees to be able to get temporary residency.  And as you say, we could try that 180 days visa method.  But your particular area is indeed getting pricey and isn't all that much cheaper than Tucson, so we may as well stay in the US... unless Handmaids Tale shit happens, and then we flee....  

22 minutes ago, Mischiefmaker said:

If that's the case, then they definitely only want the independently wealthy and retirees to be able to get temporary residency. 

Actually what they want is to make sure that immigrants  do not become another source of drains on the finances of the country.

"Independently wealthy" is not a term that I would use to describe many of the foreign folks I know who are living in Mexico. Able to live a decent life si, independently wealth no.

1 minute ago, RickS said:

Actually what they want is to make sure that immigrants  do not become another source of drains on the finances of the country.

"Independently wealthy" is not a term that I would use to describe many of the foreign folks I know who are living in Mexico. Able to live a decent life si, independently wealth no.

Oh, of course I get their reasoning for it, totally understandable, but anyone who is not yet retired and has a monthly income from NOT working is by definition independently wealthy.  Or maybe just "financially independent"?  

independently wealthy :

1. Possessing enough wealth that one does not need financial support from others or income from employment. 

Please let us not nitpick.😉  I know a number of people who are living on their Social Security checks with savings from a home sale as a backup fund for unusual expenses. Some of them simply do not have enough in retirement income to live as well in the U.S. and are here for that reason as well as enjoying the Mexican culture and a new life experience.  Let's be real about this.  Mexico is requiring that new immigrants have enough to live on.  Who can blame them?  They have enough poor people already.

Personally, I'd much rather live in Mexico than in Tucson.

I will make two suggestions. One, make your first point of contact your local Mexican consulate. They can tell you, exactly, what is required. While every poster here is well intentioned, the rules change, there is a new government taking over, and you can expect prices to rise for government services. Two, there are many areas of Mexico that are pleasant, have excellent resources and are way cheaper than the Lakeside area to live. Do more research before choosing. I lived in Lakeside 6 years before relocating to Cuernavaca, which suits me better. There are lots of option in life and the obvious choice is not always the best. Good luck.

1 minute ago, IMBurnen said:

I will make two suggestions. One, make your first point of contact your local Mexican consulate. They can tell you, exactly, what is required. While every poster here is well intentioned, the rules change, there is a new government taking over, and you can expect prices to rise for government services. Two, there are many areas of Mexico that are pleasant, have excellent resources and are way cheaper than the Lakeside area to live. Do more research before choosing. I lived in Lakeside 6 years before relocating to Cuernavaca, which suits me better. There are lots of option in life and the obvious choice is not always the best. Good luck.

Good points.  Lakeside is definitely not the most budget friendly area, but the main issue here is whether he can meet the requirements for temporary or permanent residency in Mexico anywhere.  His source of that kind of information needs to be the Mexican consulate, not a local web board.  We mean well, but that's seldom enough.

22 minutes ago, gringal said:

Good points.  Lakeside is definitely not the most budget friendly area, but the main issue here is whether he can meet the requirements for temporary or permanent residency in Mexico anywhere.  His source of that kind of information needs to be the Mexican consulate, not a local web board.  We mean well, but that's seldom enough.

Check your pronouns!  Great advice, though.  

31 minutes ago, gringal said:

Please let us not nitpick.😉  I know a number of people who are living on their Social Security checks with savings from a home sale as a backup fund for unusual expenses. Some of them simply do not have enough in retirement income to live as well in the U.S. and are here for that reason as well as enjoying the Mexican culture and a new life experience.  Let's be real about this.  Mexico is requiring that new immigrants have enough to live on.  Who can blame them?  They have enough poor people already.

Personally, I'd much rather live in Mexico than in Tucson.

Exactly, retirees.  We may have to wait until that time comes.  Will definitely do more research, as suggested.  

13 hours ago, gringal said:

Let's be real about this.  Mexico is requiring that new immigrants have enough to live on.  Who can blame them?  They have enough poor people already.

WOW ! That sounds very similar to what a lot of people NOB are saying and have been saying for years ! 

10 hours ago, Hud said:

WOW ! That sounds very similar to what a lot of people NOB are saying and have been saying for years ! 

Poor people from the States are not trying to come to Mexico to do work that Mexicans won't do.  Enough said??  But keep on...and on.

2 hours ago, gringal said:

Poor people from the States are not trying to come to Mexico to do work that Mexicans won't do.  Enough said??  But keep on...and on.

Not work, no .... but  will happily get all social benefits that are available for poor Mexicans.

23 minutes ago, el bartman said:

No, but I do have a problem with a nation offering social benefits to foreigners.

I don't consider health care a "social benefit". Most first world countries that have universal health care will also treat foreigners who are merely visiting.  What do you think would be the right way to treat semi permanent and permanent residents who are unable to qualify for private health insurance due to pre-existing conditions...not of their choosing...let them get sicker and/or die? 

11 minutes ago, gringal said:

.... Most first world countries that have universal health care will also treat foreigners who are merely visiting. 

Canada will 'only' give emergency medical services to a visitor so I am told.

Canada's health care is managed by the individual provinces. In Ontario, for example, OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan) is available to visitors to Canada and (in some cases) those living there illegally.

Most Embassy's will recommend that if you are going on vacation to a "foreign" country, then take out medical insurance...... and do not rely on possible "freebies" to help to cover your medical expenses if you get sick...similar to going on a cruise, those fees can add up big time.

3 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Canada's health care is managed by the individual provinces. In Ontario, for example, OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan) is available to visitors to Canada and (in some cases) those living there illegally.

I would suggest that there are "many" retirees from Canada living at Lakeside permanently, but  will "cheat" and seek medical treatment in Canada as their need arise.  

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

Most Embassy's will recommend that if you are going on vacation to a "foreign" country, then take out medical insurance...... and do not rely on possible "freebies" to help to cover your medical expenses if you get sick...similar to going on a cruise, those fees can add up big time.

For most expats, this move is not "going on a vacation to a foreign country" and most are aware of what is, in fact, available to permanent residents.   In any case, you're not being asked to pay for anyone else's medical care, are you?  You never have answered the question about what people who CAN'T qualify for private medical coverage should do.

Any empathy at all from your corner for those whose out of pocket expenses exceed their savings and they still need medical care?

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

I would suggest that there are "many" retirees from Canada living at Lakeside permanently, but  will "cheat" and seek medical treatment in Canada as their need arise.  

"Cheat"? You mean going back to a place where my taxes still pay for medical coverage? And have my whole working life? That statement shows very little thought, I'm sorry to say.

Archived