Chapala.com Webboard

Are there any women who have driven Ajijic to Nogales alone?

I drove from El Paso to Chapala by myself. I drove the toll roads and only during the day. I wasn't exactly alone - I had an attack Corgi along. When we were stopped at a Federales check point, he barked them good, and told them to stay away from his car. They laughed and said he was a hero in his own car.

10 hours ago, Northofyou said:

Haha.  Cute.  

So, you felt fine, then?  I have seen a lot of people saying the toll roads are good.

I've driven a couple of times by myself from Laredo to Ajijic. It's just like in the states except here don't drive at night, animals or people might be in the road. Make sure your vehicle is in good condition.  Don't engage in any road rage. Take the toll roads. You shouldn't have any problems. 

Nogales to Guadalajara is an easy three day trip, but is possible in two days if you have daylight on your side, as in summer.

Plan to stop in a larger city by about 4PM, so that you have time to find a place (scout a few online ahead of time) and to have a walk and eat. Then be ready to hit the road early the next morning, after a good breakfast.

Enjoy your trip.

I've driven it several times to/from California.  I agree with Ajijic--_hiker.  I leave at first light and only use toll roads.  Set it on cruise control and go. Plan on stopping a couple hours before dark.  No-Tell Motels are great. They're right off the highway.  You have your own attached private garage to lock up your car and go right into your room. I've travelled with my small dog and she's always been welcomed.  Be sure to get your food and any shopping done before you settle in.  Usually you're secured once you check in and go to your room.  So no in and out.  Northbound I usually stop in Culiacan and Hermosillo.  Southbound I stay at a motel on the U.S. side  in Nogales, AZ so I can  cross the border by 5AM then stop in Cuidad Obregon or Navojoa and then Mazatlán on my way to Ajijic.  Have a cell phone that works in Mexico.  I stay alert and don't venture off into the unknown. Be sure to have pesos.  I've never had a problem.  

We drove that stretch numerous times. It is pretty straight forward route. Just stay on 15D all the time . The only problem we ever had was with gas stations. We got cheated ones and the part between Mazatlan and Tepic does not have many places to fill up ....so stop every time you see a Pemex. Now we know where they are so we plan accordingly. But the first time it was a challenge.

The northern part is OK for gas stations.

Now with the libramiento around Guaymas and Mazatlan the drive can be done in 2 days if you can find good place to stay around Los Mochis. There are few choices.  But most people like to do that in 3days. Stops at Mazatlan (for mini holiday) and Navojoa are popular. We found out we were in Navojoa too early in the afternoon to stop for night.(going south).

Having a Green Angels number  will not hurt. They do have a visible presence on that highway and so does Mexican Army. You will see many convoys on the highway in Sinaloa and there are few Army check points as well. We were mostly just waived through.

Have enough pesos for toll booths. They are good spots to go to bathroom and buy a snack. It is customary to give a bathroom lady few pesos if there is one.

We never felt any danger. Under normal circumstances you should be fine.

Put on your favorite  CD and have a good and safe trip.

Archived