Chapala.com Webboard

printer problem

bonbon

My printer needs to be checked. I went, years ago, to a place in Ajijic (not on the highway) but I forgot where, and I'm not sure if he is still there.

There was some one in Riberas on the highway but I'm not sure if he repairs printers.

Or any other suggestions.

Help, please!

Thanks Mike.

After being away for two months, I changed my cartridge with the original hp 56 for Hp 1315 all-in-one but the light "the change your cartridge" stays on. In the system, it shows that the printer is offline and, of course, the test page registers but does not come out.

I checked all connections, unplugged all the wires a few times around, remove and shut off the computer to get rid of the sheet to print, but nothing changes.

I have to say that I used twice a refilled cartridge and, at the end, I had to keep the printer on all the time to avoid the test page to print every time.

I have a feeling that the printer's heads might be dirty.

Unfortunately, the cartridges dry out here awfully quickly, sometimes just getting gummy. I know that it is almost impossible to refill a cartridge more than twice, because internally it gets gummed up. But someone who refills them can't even tell, unless you tell them specifically that it's been done twice before... at which point they should say, no can do.

Yesterday, I had an occasion with an HP wherein the pinch rollers (there are hard plastic and rubbery plastic) were just slowly being eaten away by loose ink and dust, and would no longer grab the paper without jamming it up. I cleaned them, but it won't be long before it happens again, because of the pitting on the rollers.

Sadly, the cost of physically repairing a printer these days is prohibitive, and trying to get parts in Mexico is not fun at the best of times, so at a cost of aboutg $1,000 - $1,5000 for basic scanner/printers, it's usually best to turf the offending machine and get a new one. (By the way, print heads are part of the cartridge, not the printer, in most cases.)

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Unfortunately, the cartridges dry out here awfully quickly, sometimes just getting gummy. I know that it is almost impossible to refill a cartridge more than twice, because internally it gets gummed up. But someone who refills them can't even tell, unless you tell them specifically that it's been done twice before... at which point they should say, no can do.

Yesterday, I had an occasion with an HP wherein the pinch rollers (there are hard plastic and rubbery plastic) were just slowly being eaten away by loose ink and dust, and would no longer grab the paper without jamming it up. I cleaned them, but it won't be long before it happens again, because of the pitting on the rollers.

Sadly, the cost of physically repairing a printer these days is prohibitive, and trying to get parts in Mexico is not fun at the best of times, so at a cost of aboutg $1,000 - $1,5000 for basic scanner/printers, it's usually best to turf the offending machine and get a new one. (By the way, print heads are part of the cartridge, not the printer, in most cases.)

It makes sense that the print heads get gummy with refills, then my printer should not need to be cleaned up. My new original cartridge from Hp should work then.

I wonder what happened between the cartridge switch over. It indicates to my printer that my cartridge should be replaced and also indicates to my system that I am offline.Humm!

Two months ago, when I turned everything off, the old gummy cartridge worked fine but, as I said, the printer had to stay on to avoid the test page to be printed. It printed dark and clear until suddenly the page was completely blank. Then, I had to buy a new cartridge . . . 

I don't trust Hp! They must have noticed my strategy, and now they block.There must be an adjustment to do on the computer.

I want to be sure that the problem is not with my printer before searching further.

Thanks Mike for your comments.

The best solution for a faulty inkjet printer is to scrap it and get a laser. They are surprisingly inexpensive to buy and operate. A few here have done so. For an example, 998 MXN delivered to your door: https://www.amazon.com.mx/Samsung-Xpress-SL-M2020-Laser-Printer/dp/B078TQF5SB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529786551&sr=8-1&keywords=laser+printer

13 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

The best solution for a faulty inkjet printer is to scrap it and get a laser. They are surprisingly inexpensive to buy and operate. A few here have done so. For an example, 998 MXN delivered to your door: https://www.amazon.com.mx/Samsung-Xpress-SL-M2020-Laser-Printer/dp/B078TQF5SB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529786551&sr=8-1&keywords=laser+printer

How often do you have to replace the toner?  No, not from using it mucho but from not using it mucho?

TIA

Just now, pappysmarket said:

How often do you have to replace the toner?  No, not from using it mucho but from not using it mucho?

TIA

I have never heard of a non-use issue with the toner cartridges. The toner powder does not absorb moisture and cake like one might think.

1 hour ago, AngusMactavish said:

I have never heard of a non-use issue with the toner cartridges. The toner powder does not absorb moisture and cake like one might think.

I have to agree with Augus. I have had a HP Laser Jet 1300 more than 10 years. Even with high capacity toner cartridges, I never had one dry out or cake.  

The only problem I had was once the printer was shipped with the cartridge still in the printer.  What a mess.  HAHAHAHA

Note:

As of 2016, Canon supplies both mechanisms and cartridges for all HP's laser printers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_LaserJet

I am also a laser printer fan and have been since 1989. That one lasted until 2005. Tried an inkjet and turfed it within a year because they seem to be programmed to use ink as much as possible. I've had my current one since 2011 and it can sit happily for months until printing is required and then I just turn it on and it just kicks right in to do its job.

Now, I know you're filling in dates and wondering what I did between 2006 and 2011... it was a Brother Laser printer and then it was a Canon Laser printer. Am finally back to Hewlett Packard... they were the first makers of laser printers and know their stuff. Cartridges last forever and print thousands and thousands of pages.

A single cartridge in a small laser printer can last up to two years for the average person. I change mine perhaps once a year, and within that period I print a lot. A refill runs about 500p. And as mentioned, it does not dry up.

Nana, HP inkjet printers, if installed with the "update regularly" option ON (usually missed by most people when installing) will download a tool that checks to see whether the ink cartridge is an original, and if not, shut down printing. To get back to "normal", one must completely uninstall the printer and install it new again.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:38 PM, nana said:

I changed my cartridge with the original hp 56 for Hp 1315 all-in-one but the light "the change your cartridge" stays on

Are you saying that you installed an HP1315 cartridge instead of an HP56 cartridge, and that your printer when new came with an HP56 cartridge?

If so, that won't work. Even if the HP1315 cartridge looks absolutely identical to the HP56 cartridge and fits perfectly, the printer will not recognize it.

On 6/24/2018 at 7:25 PM, ComputerGuy said:

A single cartridge in a small laser printer can last up to two years for the average person. I change mine perhaps once a year, and within that period I print a lot. A refill runs about 500p. And as mentioned, it does not dry up.

Nana, HP inkjet printers, if installed with the "update regularly" option ON (usually missed by most people when installing) will download a tool that checks to see whether the ink cartridge is an original, and if not, shut down printing. To get back to "normal", one must completely uninstall the printer and install it new again.

I uninstalled the printer and installed it again and again and the red light showing that I need a new cartridge is still on. I even installed the printer in my other computer . . . same thing.

I brought my printer to have it checked. I'll know the situation my Monday.

On 6/25/2018 at 10:52 AM, El Bizco said:

Are you saying that you installed an HP1315 cartridge instead of an HP56 cartridge, and that your printer when new came with an HP56 cartridge?

If so, that won't work. Even if the HP1315 cartridge looks absolutely identical to the HP56 cartridge and fits perfectly, the printer will not recognize it.

I have been using #56 for a long long time, and it used to work. Also, my printer is Hp 1315 all-in-one, but Windows used to register it as Hp 1310 all-in-one. Now, it's showing Hp 1310 series. There's nothing else on the list to chose from. Maybe that is the problem.

HP names its printers by series. Anything called 1310 series covers any number in that lineup, and simply means small physical details are different, but not cartridges or drivers. For example, WalMart and other chains get their "series" made to order to fit specific price points. Red flashing light means printer problem, not software or computer problem.

It ought to be the printer. When I connect my printer alone without any computer, the light stays on. I have a feeling that we had a brown out when we were away, and it damaged the printer even being off, but the plug was in. 

My printer is still at the shop. They have to take it to Guad to check it out. Everyday, it's supposed to be ready mañana. 🙄

Thanks for all the information. I learn something every time.

Archived