Chapala.com Webboard

Fish Tacos

stuphel

We're currently up north, but I'm craving good fish tacos, and my favourites are either lunch/comida only (Lake Taco), long gone (Magana's, Just Chillin').  Can you suggest your favourite fish tacos places, open at supper time?  And what makes a good fish taco in your mind?

Lake Taco offers mahi as an option as well.  I prefer the battered version and Lake Taco's batter is light and crispy and their oil is always fresh tasting.  Their grilled version is also good and they have a nice condiment bar so you can personalize your taco.  Their shrimp tacos are equally good, and again offered as either grilled or battered.   

They are open till 5 PM daily.  Not my dinner time, but may work for early birds.  

Fish and seafood tacos are usually day-time food in Mexico--anytime from almuerzo to comida.  It's unusual to see either fish/seafood street stands or casual marisquerías that are open in the evening.  Sit-down restaurants don't commonly serve seafood tacos or fish tacos.

That's why consistency seems to be the hardest of all facets for restaurants. I remember remarking when I had my meal that it was one of the best fish and chips plates I had ever eaten. Go figure.

I was sorely disappointed. Sometimes I feel like restaurants pick my visit to have their bad day, but I don't really believe it. I suppose they deserve a second shot, but for the life of me, what would they do differently? It was not cooked poorly, it was just yechy food.

We were in town for 2 weeks and almost every meal we ate out was very good to great and we went to a few places. Lake Taco and Fogon had good food but also an abundance of dogs. The pizza at Adelita's was probably the weakest of all but still quite acceptable. Bruno's, old Tony's, Tango and Pacenas and the place where Beverly Hunt's office used to be (sorry I forget the name) all gave us excellent meals. The festival kept us from Mario's or we would have been there. Take out from El Pechugon was also good. Some people eat to live (us) and others live to eat.  The liquid nitrogen at Dra. Monica's was our least favorite!  Almost forgot Simply Thai, just a few doors down from our old BnB served us a huge meal that was also excellent.

10 hours ago, Tiny said:

IMG_20180623_202511.thumb.jpg.277425553b2f7e1941648047080f10be.jpg

Sorry, no fish tacos. Just taco de carne, torta and tartaleta.

Note: No dog at taco stand. One dog at home under my chair waiting for me to drop something.

IMG_20180623_202514.jpg

Looks like Guadalajara?

OK, now that we're including Guadalajara in the mix, there is ONE place in GDL that offers the best fish tacos, the best shrimp tacos, tacos dorados de marlín, etc.  It's one of the places I miss most about GDL, always good for real Ensenada fish tacos: Taco Fish La Paz, corner of Av. La Paz and Calle Donato Guerra.  They now have a second location farther west in GDL, but I haven't been to that one (yet).  The original location on Av. La Paz (hence the name of the place) looks a little different these days, but OMG if you're in GDL don't miss it.  These tacos are the real deal:
http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2008/06/mexico-cooks-and-el-mural-at-taco-fish-la-paz-in-guadalajara.html

Yes, the pictures I posted is in GDL. It is two blocks from our house. I was there last night for some taco de pastor and fruit tart. I could not pass up take pics. I know that they have been in business 20+ years. 

2 hours ago, More Liana said:

there is ONE place in GDL that offers the best fish tacos, the best shrimp tacos, tacos dorados de marlín, etc.  It's one of the places I miss most about GDL, always good for real Ensenada fish tacos: Taco Fish La Paz, corner of Av. La Paz and Calle Donato Guerra. 

I agree about Taco Fish La Paz, the best I have had.

My order is deep fried shrimp taco with salad de cabbage in the taco. Nothing else. Nice and simple but so good.

Make sure you ring the bell before you leave.

Archived