Chapala.com Webboard

San Antonio Tlaycapan fiesta

Wookie

We are rather exhausted.  Does anyone know when this fiesta finishes?  The music starts at 8 :30 pm and goes until 3:00 am every night.  The fireworks are between 5:30 am and 6:00 am and then, of course, again some in the day and then again on the late evening.  We are in Upper Chula Vista and this celebration is at the square.  We can actually sing along as it is louder in our house than we play our own music.  Just need a date to look forward to getting some peace.  The days are filled with loud music and loud conversation from the construction workers next door that starts at 8:00 am and goes until about 7:00 every night.  We had no idea when we moved here that we would hear music from the plaza.  At least the construction will be finished hopefully in another 6 months.

I actually enjoyed listen to some of the music and the fireworks looked great from my home. Mexico is a country with lots of fiestas, better get used to it.

joco69, we are not newbies.  we have been here 13 years and plan on dying here.  We were just a little bit exhausted and wanted to know that the end was in sight.  Now tonight they are not playing and since we have been up every night for the last 11 nights my sleep cycle is going to need some adjusting back to an earlier bedtime.  We are very glad, ezpz, that we do not live near a noisy bar.  We scouted this area as much as possible, talked to the neighbors, etc. before purchasing are 3rd and last (hopefully) home here Lakeside.  We were not aware that we would be able to hear the goings on at the plaza ... never occurred to us.  We would never purchase a home next to a bar and we pray that since we live in a fracc that one will not be allowed to open up next door.  We too enjoy some of the music, however, 11 days of it from 9:00 p.m. until 3:00 a.m. is excessive for us especially with the constant daytime noise of the construction site.  I did use a white noise machine but at various times they would be so loud all of a sudden that it would wake me up.

The same sound situation exists all along the north shore of the lake: sound from the various towns' plazas travels up the mountains.  What happens in the plazas will sound louder to you up the mountain than it does close to the plaza.

12 hours ago, joco69 said:

I actually enjoyed listen to some of the music and the fireworks looked great from my home. Mexico is a country with lots of fiestas, better get used to it.

Glad the fireworks look great from your distance. From mine, the cohetes torture people and animals for hours. Enduring it is an option, getting used to it isn't so much, unless you're deaf.

1 hour ago, Sea said:

Glad the fireworks look great from your distance. From mine, the cohetes torture people and animals for hours. Enduring it is an option, getting used to it isn't so much, unless you're deaf.

Strategically planned vacations are another option.  These patron saint fiestas are the same dates every year. 

I live two and a half blocks from the plaza and can tell you that things have calmed down quite a bit in the 10 years I have been here. The music has toned down and the fireworks are less than half as before. The crowds are way down and there are hardly any vendors. The mechanical rides are just sitting in the street with no customers and it is kind of sad. The music stage is facing north so I think that this amplifies the noise to that direction. My house is on the lake, or south so I am not getting the full blast. I can live with it and my dogs are now used to the explosions. I know that the OP is frustrated and upset but just like other noise complaints, unkempt streets, dogs and smoking in restaurants; get used to it or.......

On 6/15/2018 at 11:52 PM, Wookie said:

joco69, we are not newbies.  we have been here 13 years and plan on dying here.  We were just a little bit exhausted and wanted to know that the end was in sight.  Now tonight they are not playing and since we have been up every night for the last 11 nights my sleep cycle is going to need some adjusting back to an earlier bedtime.  We are very glad, ezpz, that we do not live near a noisy bar.  We scouted this area as much as possible, talked to the neighbors, etc. before purchasing are 3rd and last (hopefully) home here Lakeside.  We were not aware that we would be able to hear the goings on at the plaza ... never occurred to us.  We would never purchase a home next to a bar and we pray that since we live in a fracc that one will not be allowed to open up next door.  We too enjoy some of the music, however, 11 days of it from 9:00 p.m. until 3:00 a.m. is excessive for us especially with the constant daytime noise of the construction site.  I did use a white noise machine but at various times they would be so loud all of a sudden that it would wake me up.

May I suggest getting an MP3 player and download sleep music from You tube, put ear buds in and that should do the trick. You can also buy Bose noise cancelling headphones. They are expensive but so worth every peso.

Archived