Chapala.com Webboard

Social Security problem

My friend's SS deposits stopped in January, and they are telling her the only way to fix it is to go into the American Embassy in Guadalajara.  Has anyone out there had any experience dealing with a SS problem at the Embassy in Guad?  Any help will be much appreciated.

Just did this yesterday. You go on the Website fbu.guadalajara@ssa.gov.  (Federal Benefits Unit) Fill out the short form of what you want. They will e-mail you in a day or so. And in my case they made a phone meeting at a certain time and day. It was simple to apply for my benefits. My husbands case, address change to Mexico. Since we are now linked with same bank account. He didn’t need to change his address if we live together. But the gal called his cell phone later and confirmed address change. It was simple and the gals spoke perfect English. 

We had an interruption in benefits and were able to handle it via a phone conversation with a representative in Guadalajara. 013332680800  No visit was required, answered questions, check direct deposited in 2 days after the phone call.

40 minutes ago, ibarra said:

We had an interruption in benefits and were able to handle it via a phone conversation with a representative in Guadalajara. 013332680800  No visit was required, answered questions, check direct deposited in 2 days after the phone call.

Things have changed. Try to call the number now. They won’t answer it.

36 minutes ago, thegogulskis said:

Things have changed. Try to call the number now. They won’t answer it.

I have received great results using their email communication system and method.

The American Embassy is in Mexico City where the United States Ambassador lives. Guadalajara has one of three US Consulates in Mexico.

LCS recently published the following number as being answered by an actual human being: From within Mexico 001-883-772-1213. They should be able to transfer you to the SS Division within the Consulate. They mention that " Calling later is better; you can talk to a real person". No indication exactly what "later" means.

This phone number goes to an SSA employee in the United States and is what you would use calling from a Mexican landline. The US warden here has confirmed with the Consulate in Guad that there is no person in Guad that you talk to..... only communications locally are thru the FBU.guadalajara@ssa.gov.  The return phone call mentioned above comes from an office in Monterrey....   I did though receive ONE return phone call from the 883 phone number above.  And as I am the volunteer submitting the info from LCS newletter.... I called at 10 P.M.  our time and after a few menu selections got a real live person who was quite helpful.       

I did also receive a prompt reply from the email address above.        

2 hours ago, sm1mex said:

Did it stop being deposited here or in the U. S. 

If they know you are not in the US, you need to fill out the form proving you are alive. It doesn't matter if the check is deposited in the US.

2 hours ago, Al Berca said:

The American Embassy is in Mexico City where the United States Ambassador lives. Guadalajara has one of three US Consulates in Mexico.

LCS recently published the following number as being answered by an actual human being: From within Mexico 001-883-772-1213. They should be able to transfer you to the SS Division within the Consulate. They mention that " Calling later is better; you can talk to a real person". No indication exactly what "later" means.

But why, it’s so fast and easy by writing what you want by email. To the proper federal benifits Unit. Then the proper person will call or email you back.it was completed and done in 2 emails and they set up a phone appt, boom done in 3 days.

32 minutes ago, Joco said:

If they know you are not in the US, you need to fill out the form proving you are alive. It doesn't matter if the check is deposited in the US.

No you don’t. I just did this yesterday. Well yes you have to give them your info, why wouldn’t you to get paid.

They know we are in Mexico. It gets deposited in US BANK. But don’t forget to pay your federal taxes. See, that’s why some people won’t be honest about if they live here or not. Think they don’t have to pay them while living here. My husband and I have been filing  fed. taxes here for 5 yrs. we are retired. We have gotten more money back than we ever have. I’m not kidding it doubled. 

IF your address with SSA is in the U.S, there is no problem... The only difficulty is if your registered SSA address is in Mexico and regardless of what country where your bank is located, your will  then receive the "are you alive?" letter.

10 hours ago, thegogulskis said:

No you don’t. I just did this yesterday. Well yes you have to give them your info, why wouldn’t you to get paid.

They know we are in Mexico. It gets deposited in US BANK. But don’t forget to pay your federal taxes. See, that’s why some people won’t be honest about if they live here or not. Think they don’t have to pay them while living here. My husband and I have been filing  fed. taxes here for 5 yrs. we are retired. We have gotten more money back than we ever have. I’m not kidding it doubled. 

I cannot understand your post. "you have to give them your info, why wouldn’t you to get paid," giving them the info about any changes, if you married, divorced, working, or anything else, keeps the checks being deposited. A dead person cannot answer the letter. 

18 hours ago, thegogulskis said:

Just did this yesterday. You go on the Website fbu.guadalajara@ssa.gov... It was simple and the gals spoke perfect English...

One, that is not a website, but an email address. Two, is there some reason it wouldn't be in English? It's a U.S. government site.

When I have had problems with S.S., I usually contact my US Senator's office. His people have been most helpful and gotten through the red tape. Keep in mind that the State Department has had its budget slashed and they are not able to assist us as much as they did in years past.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, exactly, the fbu.guadalajara.ssa.gov is an email address. Two years back when I had some issues with SSA about identifying who I was legally and denied receiving benefits, I scheduled an appointment with them via that email address, and I was seen a few days later at the US consulate in GDL. It is NOT an embassy! And besides, SSA issues are handled by American consulates, not embassies (or a consular division of the embassy). When you enter the consulate, they give you a number and you enter a closed booth where a Social Security rep talks to you. He or she is in direct contact with your local SSA office in the States. They can call or email them while you are there. They resolved the situation and I received a letter of approval from the SSA.

When I have had problems with S.S., I usually contact my US Senator's office. His people have been most helpful and gotten through the red tape. Keep in mind that the State Department has had its budget slashed and they are not able to assist us as much as they did in years past.

I don't understand this last one. You wouldn't go through your senator to coax SSA into doing something. It's not as though a regular American citizen can get special help from a gov't official to speed up the process! At least not here in Mexico. You'd have contact the FBU for any issues or stop in payments.

5 minutes ago, bostonfrog2012 said:

I don't understand this last one. You wouldn't go through your senator to coax SSA into doing something. It's not as though a regular American citizen can get special help from a gov't official to speed up the process! At least not here in Mexico. You'd have contact the FBU for any issues or stop in payments.

That was done in the 1950's and 60's.

4 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

Ahhh but I have a Senator who actually cares - Sen Michael Bennett from Colorado - and his office has helped me on several occasions. You just need to elect the right people. .

Good use of "No Action Senators".

2 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Michael Farrand Bennet...  was appointed to the seat when Ken Salazar resigned to become Secretary of the Interior.

The current Interior Secretary is Ryan Zinke, appointed by President Trump, FYI.

34 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

Ahhh but I have a Senator who actually cares - Sen Michael Bennett from Colorado - and his office has helped me on several occasions. You just need to elect the right people. .

Bennet is available to do lots of "honey do " stuff, as his voting record is really clear; he is what is referred to in Washington as an "obstructionist", a senator that puts the interest of non-Americans above those of American Citizens. (FYI).

Archived