Chapala.com Webboard

Hard working gardener available Chapala/Chapala Haciendas or Ajijic east.

Our housekeeper's husband currently works in Chapala Haciendas three days per week as an experienced gardener.  Not a lot of English but knows the basics.  We are told he is hard working and reliable.  Available Monday/Wednesday/Friday.  60 pesos per hour.

PM me if you'd like to know more.

• 1 month later...

Mainecoons, I tried to pm you but your inbox is full.  Could you please let me know if this gardener is still available for one day a week for between 4 to 6 hours depending on his assessment of time needed?  This would be for Upper Chula Vista and he needs to have his own tools and transportation.  

"This gardener works for us.  We are very pleased with his work.  He comes to work on time and is very detail orientated.  We are very happy.  Ours is his first gardening job, he is still learning about our plants, hedges etc.  If you have any questions, please pm me.

He is looking for more work - and as Maincoons says, he is available Monday, Wednesday and Friday,  He comes to us on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

But seriously, not much. If his job is gardener, then he has tools. If he is a waterer, then he is basic labour. A jardinero should have a truck and a gas mower, a weed-eater, and a knowledge of gardening. There are not too many around with that last requirement.

I will just be happy, Computer Guy, with someone with his own transportation and tools and a willingness to learn about plants and do the work of caring for them.  The person I have now is not happy doing the pruning and winds up botching the job every time.  I have had it and am tired of replacing plants and/or waiting for them to grow out again.  I wish I could take care of the plants myself but my back says a definite NO!

It is very tough indeed to find a good one. The best one we had, who knew his stuff, got bored with small jobs like ours, and managed to get larger venues. So we are stuck with a few guys who can prune, but won't water, and think that grass lawns should be mowed bald. (Every so often, one of them will reset the mower wheels to their lowest. We tell them never again every time, and yet eventually it happens again: a new employee, a son helping out... whatever.) But most attempts at finding replacements have been futile.

Archived