Chapala.com Webboard

iLox @ LCS?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good presentation. Lots of people. They will have the 200 or so initial paid-in subscribers in short order if not there already. If you live near where there are CFE poles, it is a slam dunk for you. More challenging if you live in a Frac and have all underground utilities. The Frac will have to vote to trench a new conduit line. 

2 hours ago, tomgates said:

Good presentation. Lots of people. They will have the 200 or so initial paid-in subscribers in short order if not there already. If you live near where there are CFE poles, it is a slam dunk for you. More challenging if you live in a Frac and have all underground utilities. The Frac will have to vote to trench a new conduit line. 

The cost per house is substantial for a condo with u/ground lines. It can more than double your first year cost.

14 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Specific about what Rick? There are a couple threads here that have every detail covered. 

One detail previously textually copied from one such thread reads, "..Ilox has anengineer that has begun assisting developments with underground ducts. Here is his contact data: RMS INGENIERIA ELECTROMECANICA, ING. JESUS MONTES CASTELLANO Tel. 3313488300." 

Somewhere mention was also made by iLox of rigging fiber to enter homes from their back fences, for instance, obviating major excavation.  The neighborhood where my lot is, at the top of the hill about a km west of the RC in SJC, has buried electric lines.  If the system is engineered to modern standards, and it's just a few years old, and it's possible by CFE regulations vis a vis iLox, I hope it may be possible to use existing conduit, since 'conduit' is a dedicated tube often able to contain multiple kinds of cable.  Electrical power lines should not interfere with GPON fiber, where they would with ethernet cable.

For specifics, cost per month/annum, etc. contact Ajijic Realty or Lake Chapala Realty. They will also prepare forms for you and walk you thru entire process. All you will need to do is pay the money at Bancomer and sign the forms.

Some new info: The telephone and internet service only has been added to their offering.

For the early subscribers, the benefit is that the 50 Mbps service will be 75 Mbps for the first year, and will continue at that increased rate as long as you are a subscriber and agree to a monthly credit card billing after your first year. The same holds true for the 250/300 Mbps service.

Also, Ilox has added Chapala to their proposed services.

A clarification: The number of advance subscribers needed is fluid. The money amount is not. It is three million pesos, or about $150000 USD. At the internet, telephone and tv service, that;s about 300 subscribers. At the higher speed package, it is closer to 200. With the lowest cost package, it will be closer to 400.

It is unfortunate that the restrictions for gated communities exist, but that is just the way it is.

This is a phenomenal great service we have been given the opportunity to enjoy. Let's get to it to reach that MX $ amount so that Ilox can get to work on this project.

A while back, I stated elsewhere that i would not move here today because of the internet limitations. My daughter and her husband are both work-from-home computer professionals, systems and security. When they visit, they can't ever stay more than  a few days since their job 3  requires or 4 times a week internet conference calls.

They tell me even 50 Mbps is a bare minimum for them.

It mightn't be our generation, but the one just behind us, surely the one behind them, will never consider buying a home here.

Besides an increase in our home values, high speed fiber optic internet service would also mean quicker sales should the need for us to move on appear.

If you have the cash available for a pre investment in a service you will be happy you have, this is a no-brainer.

Your return for the loss of a few pesos interest over the next several months is a small price to pay for the availability of this service, not to mention the increased speed over your lifetime of using the service, nor to mention the increase in value and salability of your home.

2 hours ago, tomgates said:

Dave,

There is zero additional cost to a house in a Frac once the underground conduits are laid. 

Tom:

They have to be paid for in the first place. If the cost is per house to lay the conduits then of course there would be no additional cost per house after the conduits have been laid. The conduit installation cost has already been paid

3 hours ago, tomgates said:

Specific about what Rick? There are a couple threads here that have every detail covered. 

Tom, to my knowledge this is the first time that iLox personally has ‘presented themselves and their product’. I assumed that there might have been some additional info that came out of this person-to-person meeting at LCS. As it turns out ‘every detail’ has not been covered. For example ‘it’s not the number of people pre-signing - 200 as suggested for months -   but the amount of money represented by the early signers’. With that change, how will anyone know ‘how close’ the project is to becoming reality and not just a hope?

NLU has shared some additional information that I was looking for..... thanks.

RickS... From the beginning,  Ilox said that it needed 300+ prepaids at the top-tier package in order to proceed. They have received 200+, some not at the top level (like mine), which decreases the total $$ available to guarantee the project.

Therefore, I do not believe they have been inconsistent. On the contrary, Mr. Kessler said that the original number of pledges was at around 400, which would have guaranteed the 300 easily, even if some people did not want the top tier package.  

It appears that many people who originally pledged have not carried through, which is not Ilox' fault. 

They asked for "pledges" and "expressions of interest". I think at one point they were added together to come to 400. An expression of interest is exactly that it is not a pledge and I was one of those expressing interest. I did not and have not made a pledge. I am following through but at the expression of interest level. I am still not sure that I need that level of internet speed especially as I now get 10mbps and Telmex are offering me 30mbps for another 100 pesos per month

Unfortunately, it seems that a goodly number of the original 'pledgers' live in gated communities and cannot fulfill their initial pledge. Too bad, but let the rest of us keep on with the project.

I'm wondering if there is not 'hope' for gated communities with iLox's  "Reseller" program which permits resale via radio links. From a previous info-packet: "For remote sites a few Km from a fiber node, high speed radio links are perfectly possible.   iLox would drop 1gb service to the distributor who could redistribute via short haul inexpensive radio links."

If I were in a gated, I'd be asking about this possibility.... at least as an interim solution.

And if I were an Entrepreneur I might be checking into this potential to become an iLox Reseller to those folks Lakeside whom iLox cannot or do not want to service with physical fiber.  

1 hour ago, Honorandfaith said:

RickS... From the beginning,  Ilox said that it needed 300+ prepaids at the top-tier package in order to proceed. They have received 200+, some not at the top level (like mine), which decreases the total $$ available to guarantee the project.

Therefore, I do not believe they have been inconsistent. On the contrary, Mr. Kessler said that the original number of pledges was at around 400, which would have guaranteed the 300 easily, even if some people did not want the top tier package.  

It appears that many people who originally pledged have not carried through, which is not Ilox' fault. 

I was not at all meaning to be critical but rather trying to show that there was new information being given out.  Earlier communications, I believe from Tom, suggests that they were looking for 'critical mass level of interest - about 200 people will to prepay 1 year of their Triple 50 package'.

Lo siento.

Just to clarify; this meeting was not a presentation by Ilox; it was a presentation by a guy named Lyle who is a customer of Ilox in Guadalajara; and Tom Kessler added some info. It seems both Lyle and Tom have worked very hard to get Ilox to recognize our need for faster internet.

It was very clear to me that Ilox is only interested in this business if we put up the capital to kick it off; therefore i don't think this is going forward until there is enough prepaid contracts to pay for the initial cost to run the cable and hookup the prepaid customers.

I am certainly looking forward to as many as attended the meeting joining the prepaid group to show Ilox that we are very good customers.

1 hour ago, RickS said:

iLox would drop 1gb service to the distributor who could redistribute via short haul inexpensive radio links." 

Just as above, in an ideal situation where capacious buried conduits to each home were built into a well designed Frac, iLox should have no objection to providing a wired node or two to the gate of a Frac, and the denizens of that neighborhood could then contract elsewhere for a router box and to run the internal wired connections, which needn't be fiber (though, as they say, it wouldn't hurt). Telecom gear at that level is rather generic, and can be surprisingly cheap. One Gig is 50 x 20 Mb.  Someone Frac-side would have to administer billing and eventually repairs, etc.  If enough Fracs were able to follow this pattern, they could cooperate, standardize, buy wholesale, etc.  I'll donate the domain name LakeLux.org in the unlikely event such a scenario is plausible.

2 hours ago, RickS said:

I'm wondering if there is not 'hope' for gated communities with iLox's  "Reseller" program which permits resale via radio links. From a previous info-packet: "For remote sites a few Km from a fiber node, high speed radio links are perfectly possible.   iLox would drop 1gb service to the distributor who could redistribute via short haul inexpensive radio links."

If I were in a gated, I'd be asking about this possibility.... at least as an interim solution.

And if I were an Entrepreneur I might be checking into this potential to become an iLox Reseller to those folks Lakeside whom iLox cannot or do not want to service with physical fiber.  

Isn't that basically the concept of 5G that is being rolled out in the US?  No need to physically connect each house with fiber optic?

Point of interest. My Seattle Condo has fiber optics however the last some 50 to 70 feet of my fiber optic feed are two of the four telephone lines that go to my condo unit. And as a result, I am not getting the maximum speed offered of 100 Mb/sec but only 90 something down

7373068886.png

Which is faster than I need. So I am suggesting that maybe the wiring from the Telephone/power pole to the house doesn't have to be fiber optics,

Yes, but there would have to be some 'electronics' there to convert from fiber to copper. I don't personally know whether or not those 'electronics' would have to be powered and whether they would have to be weatherproof. Either of those might be difficult from a pole.

I still think the 'radio link' option (if there is one!) would be the way to go.

Archived