Chapala.com Webboard

Good Rain In Chapala Last Night

On the topic of rain, I'm coming to Ajijic on 6/12 and I know it's close to the beginning of rainy season. I've got a lot of experience with this in Mexico City. There it typically rains in the afternoons for a couple hours (or more) and then clears up in the evening. But you can usually count on fairly clear weather until about 2:00 in the afternoon or so. Is it like that in Chapala? Is there some kind of pattern than one can plan around? 

Thanks for any replies to this question. I'm a newby to this board. 

We may get some occasional heavy rains starting at 6 pm or later and some at 7 or 8 am for a brief while.  But the grand bulk of the heavy heavy monsoon type rains mostly come at night, fortunately for us.  Every now and then, during a pacific hurricane, we may get an all day chipi chipi, light sprinkle type of rain, which is normally attributed to a passing hurricane.  The days are sometimes sunny and often times overcast.  Overcast days are much cooler, and the summer time temperatures in general hover in and around 80 degrees or so.  Very pleasant, cool, and refreshing feeling on most days.  A wonderful and welcoming change after our very hot and dry month of May!

15 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

I am surprised nobody mentioned the rain we had last night at around 1:30 am.  It rained a good heavy steady rain for over 2 hours or so.  ¿Será que esté empezando?

Monday, June 4th, we had .04 in West Ajijic around 02:30

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

Methinks, by the time you get packed and get here, the rainy season will have started.

Check out the 10 day forecast... https://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:00000.6.WMMGL?sp=IJALISCO38&hdf=1

So it looks from the chart that the rain mainly falls at night through early morning. Is that consistent with your experience/expectation? Thanks!

I’m going to go out onto a long limb here and either show my brilliance or ...... ignorance.

I’m not too sure how accurate WeatherUndergrounds long range forecasts are IN MEXICO. NOB, WeatherUnderground uses info from the NWS and NOAA as well as historical data to “forecast”. Since I’m not sure that the NWS or NOAA have a “presence” 1,000 miles into Mexico, I’m going to speculate - and it is purely speculation - that the Lakeside forecasts are more a product of historical data as opposed to current meteorological conditions on the ground here.  Anyone know for sure? Yes, there are a lot of ‘local neighborhood stations’ but they don’t/can’t predict the weather, just report was has/is happening.

In any event the probability that the forecast shown is/will be pretty accurate is statistically high as we all know that ‘just about now’ is when the rainy season starts!  BTW, did I miss the annual Start-of-the-Rainy-Season contest!?!

BIG and WELCOME news! We had good rain for two incredible hours last night north of PV, at least two weeks before normal. I slept through it of course, but this morning when I saw the giant puddle outside the back door, I thought, "Oh hell, problem with the aljibe!" Instead, a gift of Tlaloc! I've lost so many trees in the last few months, crape myrtles, lychees, and others...none so devastating as the Ruby Red Grapefruit I smuggled in as cuttings and turned into an orchard years ago, lost to the damned Chinese fly which carries the "greening" disease. Saw it for the first time last summer at the Lake. Our children will not see citrus by the end of their lives. 

No known treatment for greening as yet, but hundreds of thousands of acres of citrus are being ripped up in Florida, Cal, 

If you dig this kind of thing, then the fiestas, which have already started, are to promote the oncoming of the rain. So this year, as camille pointed out, Tlaloc is listening and I think getting started early, instead of waiting for the end of the party.

Archived