Chapala.com Webboard

Passport Renewal

I found the on the American Conslate website. Passport Renewals – If you are eligible to renew your passport without an interview, you may walk in to Consulate General Guadalajara Monday – Thursday from 2:00 PM to 2:30 PM except holidays or days we are closed to the public. Has anyone had experience doing this?  Any information will be appreciated.

Yes.  I renewed my passport a few years ago at the consulate in Guad.  Went in with my old passport, supplied what they required and then filled out a request on site in the same office to have my new passport delivered by courier to my place in Ajijic.  They will also bring the new passport when they come to LCS on their regular visit.  I believe I was also able to track and update the process on line so I knew they had issued the new passport.  I forget what the charge was to have it delivered by courier as opposed to no charge for them to bring it to LCS but I do remember I had my new passport within a week to ten days.  

Yes, I did go between 2:00 and 2:30.  Relatively painless as far as bureaucracy goes.  Had a little wait but not too bad.  Don't take any electronics though such as E-reader, Ipod or laptop.  They made me put mine in a locker in the same facility and had to pay a small locker charge.  No problem taking your cell phone.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I renewed our passports today. As the above posts said, we did the 2.00 to 2:30 walk-in. My wife decided the last minute to renew hers so she had not filled out the form yet. She started filling out the 2 page form when we got there and sat down. The wait time between when we sat down and was called to the window was so short that she had not finished filling out the form. So I went first. I ordered a passport book and a passport card. She only wanted a passport book.  I want the card for a id to carry in  my wallet. 

It turned out, my wife's photo was not correct. But that did not hold up anything.  The lady at the window finished the paper work. While I went to another window to pay, my wife went around the build to a photo shop and quickly got the right photo. I paid with my US credit card. It was $250.00 USD for both books and card.  After she returned, she walked right up to the pay window and handed the photos in.  

Then we went to the Fed Ex desk to have the passports shipped to us.  To our GDL address, it was 89 pesos for each person.

We were done in 20 to 30 minutes.  After that, we had a great lunch at the Indian restaurant which is about 2 to 3 blocks from the consulate.

http://goagdl.com.mx/

Note: There was no dogs in the restaurant or on the sidewalk.

I renewed my U.S. passport at the Lake Chapala Society about 4 years ago. If I remember correctly a representative of the consulate came every month and you give your old passport and a new photo and then picked up the new one the next month. You pay the fee through a special bank that I do not remember now. Call LCS to find out it this is still happening. Piece of cake.

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

I renewed my U.S. passport at the Lake Chapala Society about 4 years ago. If I remember correctly a representative of the consulate came every month and you give your old passport and a new photo and then picked up the new one the next month. You pay the fee through a special bank that I do not remember now. Call LCS to find out it this is still happening. Piece of cake.

When you to Banamex to pay for your check to give to the consulate person, they ask for a second ID (other than the expired passport).  But they will not tell you which other kind of ID they will accept.  It was simpler for me to go to Spencer McMullin, give him my passport photo and have him do everything.

Archived