Chapala.com Webboard

LG Mini Split A/C

That is another advantage of the battery backup system. Those of my panels connected to the battery backup inverter keep on working feeding the batteries when the sun is out. Those of my panels connected to a non battery backup inverter stop working when CFE is down

can anyone, with knowledge, recommend the most reliable minisplit brand and BTU's. I would like one with heat as well as air conditioning.  I see a wide range of life pricing.  I know some of that is BTU's, heat option, etc.  My house is small...probably between 1200 and 1400 sq. Ft.  I'm certain there is someone who knows how to calculate the size of unit needed to cover a certain space and how many kwh's it will pull.  It will no doubt put me into DAC. But, a solar pro thinks it might be better, because of my historical low usage, to get the A/C and see where it puts me in DACbefore investing in a solar system.  I have paid less than 500 pesos for many years.  Thanks for your help

The Whirlpool we have is a 18,000 Btu (1.5 Ton), 220v and would do you nicely. Tio Sam's might have a 24,000 unit. Heats and cools. Has a nice feature, Perfect Sleep, that I activate after running the unit an hour or so prior to bedtime. It cycles down in the wee hours of the morning and the light isn't on during this cycle. 

On 5/30/2018 at 2:21 PM, tomgates said:

The Whirlpool we have is a 18,000 Btu (1.5 Ton), 220v and would do you nicely. Tio Sam's might have a 24,000 unit. Heats and cools. Has a nice feature, Perfect Sleep, that I activate after running the unit an hour or so prior to bedtime. It cycles down in the wee hours of the morning and the light isn't on during this cycle. 

I have the same unit, from Tio Sams. I also have solar panels, tied to the grid. This unit has an inverter, which means it adjusts operating speed and therefore, supposedly saves power.

I run mine on 26 C, low fan,  starting 9 pm until about 7 am. Very large bedroom with high ceilings. It is using about  4 kwH per day...which seems like a lot, but we are finding that our current houseguest is running a floor fan high speed  and ceiling fan high speed  in her very hot room, and those two are almost coming in at 1.5kwH!  She had the evaporative cooler going, too, but that was drawing 210 watts an hour! So I told her to do what people in Brazil do, take a shower before bed and lie on a damp sheet.

Anyway, the Whirlpool ac is okay but it is pretty noisy, creaks and rattles all night...have to get the techies back out to check it while it is still under warranty.

1 hour ago, Cielo said:

The store next to the Guadalajara farmacia in Ajijic used to have them, have not noticed lately.  I do not know the name of the store but they have water heaters etc.

The name is Amutio

Archived