Chapala.com Webboard

Caffè Mediterraneo in Riberas

Taaffe

A friend and I went for lunch. The chef is from Rome and a master at pasta dishes and sauces. I had a very generous plate of tortellini with different mushrooms and cream with a tang of lemon which was outstanding. My friend was very happy with ravioli al pomodoro. Price 130 pesos and well worth it.

1 hour ago, Lexy said:

Remind us where this is?

Hidalgo to 81A.  That is the lateral on the north side of the carretera, across from Zona Gym and El Huerto cafe, next to some bazaars.

I had the tortellini with the mushroom sauce and it was delucious, even warmed up days later!  The other four in my group raved about their meals too.  I want to try their pizza 🍕.

Had a very enjoyable dinner there with friends tonight. We had a salad brought tableside for us to share, then we each ordered a pasta, which everyone liked very much. They serve beer and wine; no spirits yet. All the pastas are cut and cooked fresh to order.  The only negative is that someone was smoking which, in a small and close space, is uncomfortable for those who either don't or are having breathing issues, especially at this time of year.

14 hours ago, jrod said:

Had a very enjoyable dinner there with friends tonight. We had a salad brought tableside for us to share, then we each ordered a pasta, which everyone liked very much. They serve beer and wine; no spirits yet. All the pastas are cut and cooked fresh to order.  The only negative is that someone was smoking which, in a small and close space, is uncomfortable for those who either don't or are having breathing issues, especially at this time of year.

Smoking being allowed is the deal breaker for me.  Too bad.

I thought there were regulations against smoking inside a restaurant. I know that about ten or more years ago places like Salvador's were forced to make the smokers move outside where they could smoke while eating.

I was there last week and had a wonderful meal . Three people were smoking in the the outside area  where I was siting . Couldn't smell a thing , no big deal. It's outside people ! Why the uproar ? If you don't like the smoking area , go inside . Some people aren't happy unless they find something to bitch about .

We went yesterday,superb tortellini with red meat sauce, the salad was served in bowl for two of us, great combination, with pine nuts and fresh,  they also have great Sangria, a keeper, the place was crowded at 3 in afternoon so we sat inside...

20 minutes ago, gcaschetta said:

I was there last week and had a wonderful meal . Three people were smoking in the the outside area  where I was siting . Couldn't smell a thing , no big deal. It's outside people ! Why the uproar ? If you don't like the smoking area , go inside . Some people aren't happy unless they find something to bitch about .

Apparently you didn't read the statement: "The only negative is that someone was smoking which, in a small and close space, is uncomfortable for those who either don't or are having breathing issues, especially at this time of year. "

Got that?

39 minutes ago, gcaschetta said:

It's not a " small closed space " It's OUTSIDE ! Got that ?

So, if it's all OUTSIDE, what are you saying?  " If you don't like the smoking area , go inside ."  Does or does not this restaurant have both indoor and outdoor seating?  jrod's post was clear enough about the smoker being inside, but perhaps he could clarify further.

No, I have never been there, and will not be there if smoking indoors is allowed.  Artsnob's post also indicates that there is both outside and inside space:  " the place was crowded at 3 in afternoon so we sat inside"

I don't like to nitpick, but your attitude begs for it. 😄  Maybe the heat makes people testy?

I believe there is one table inside. The rest of the seating is under roof, in what is a converted carport. This was the only factor to damper our experience, which was enjoyable in every other way. And we were eating when the other table arrived, so our option was to sit put.

Gcaschetta,  I said "small and close" space, which it is." And not everyone appreciates second-hand smoke. The Ley de protección contra la exposición al humo de tabaco, article 2 (albeit poorly enforced) says a terrace that has a roof and two walls is not considered outdoor, open space, and smoking is prohibited.

Also, the problem with a smoking area outside is that the smoke inevitably finds it's way into the interior of the restaurant where it hangs in the air.  For someone like myself that is allergic and absolutely can not breathe when around smoke it is impossible to continue eating.  I have to get up and leave and my husband then has to have the food bagged and we continue our meal at home.  By then, it just doesn't taste the same.  So, yes, we tried this restaurant when it first opened and really liked the food but had to leave and will never be back.  Our loss but when you can't breathe you can't eat either.  That, Gcaschetta, is what the big deal is. 

I guess that depends upon the restaurant. Those few who smoked at the tables in front of Salvador's Restaurant occasionally bothered persons sitting very close outdoors if the wind was blowing in the wrong direction. But the smell of smoke never made it inside Salvador's any time I was there.

Johanson, we were able to eat at Salvador's as well.  I would cover my mouth and nose and hurry to the back of the restaurant.  We could not sit at the tables at the front because the smoke did enter there.  However, the restaurant was large enough and the ceiling fans helped to disperse the smoke.  Sure do miss this option.

I stand corrected.  I guess I do not have a very sensitive nose. Because I never noticed it. But we never sat next to the windows. Usually in the second row more or less or farther back.

• 1 month later...

Sunday evening my wife and I had an excellent dinner at the cafe.  I had the spaghetti and sauce and she had a salad.  It was the best spaghetti I have had Lakeside and she bragged on the salad.  They make their own pasta and I will try something else next time.  They also have pizza but I did not see anyone eating it.   The chef came from Italy 3 years ago and he and his wife opened a cafe in Guadalajara before moving to Lakeside.  The service was good and the hosts very friendly.  There is 1 table inside and several more outside between two walls.  The cafe is located in Riberas accross from the new OXXO and The Huerta Cafe.  Hours from 12 to 9. ph 376.68.81.181

I ate there about three weeks ago, and it was excellent. I will go back. Pizzas were being made and delivered out constantly. Great little pieces of garlic bread from the pizza oven while we waited for our orders. I would not call the space "outside" any more; it's basically a tent roof and wall attached to the open garage.

Once was enough. If the chef is from Rome, one would expect a master at pasta and sauces. Wife is Mexican from Guadalajara. The kid was an annoyance rudely asking, "do you know what you want?" before I've  had a chance to read the menu. Chile sauce on an Italian table??  Furthermore, a glass of Pinot Grigio at a whopping 80 mxp. whilst it is 60 mxp. at most establishments that carry that particular mark. That is an enormous mark-up.

My sauce was excellent. Not clear on why the wife's nationality or home address is pertinent. Waiters around here are always asking before you are ready. Chili sauce on a Mexican table? You have to be kidding. As far as the wine prices go, I don't drink, so it wouldn't have occurred to me.

My wife ordered the house special drink and was brought a whole pitcher of freshly blended juices for 35 pesos.  The Chef's wife Miriam is Mexican and a delight to talk to.  She explained to me some of their pasta and how it is made.  I don't drink so don't know about wine prices but their food is excellent and I certainly didn't feel over charged.  Their son waited on us and was attentive and provided good service. 

Archived