Chapala.com Webboard

converting spanish windows 8 control panel to english

Are you sure you can't just go to 'Settings' and change the language setting there? I did that to a friend's laptop (Windows 10 - English - originally French) She was given the laptop and wanted it in Spanish. It worked without a hitch. Maybe I just got lucky?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Sorry, that's not the case. You can set an Ethernet connection to metered.

Yes, you are correct.... my apologies, that changed last year. It used to be WiFi only. However, when a user clicks on that setting, a notice will appear indicating that Windows will continue to send out "necessary and important" updates.

15 hours ago, Dave W. said:

Are you sure you can't just go to 'Settings' and change the language setting there? I did that to a friend's laptop (Windows 10 - English - originally French) She was given the laptop and wanted it in Spanish. It worked without a hitch. Maybe I just got lucky?

You can change the language of the locale, but not the overall language of the Operating System, unless you reinstall the entire thing. There are various versions of Windows available online from Microsoft. Supposedly, if you have a Single Language version purchased here, you can down download an English single-language version from scratch, and it will allow you to use your existing Windows license.

As far as I know, only Windows Pro and Enterprise will allow you to download the language packs necessary to change the display language without having to reinstall the whole OS. So you may have been working on one of those.

I'm not denying that they exist. I'm well aware that they exist. I'm well aware that profit-making and altogether technologically superfluously separate and expensive Language packs exist. I'm mocking the fact that they exist, and now, that you didn't pick-up on that, I'm mocking you.

2 hours ago, MarkWebles said:

I'm not denying that they exist. I'm well aware that they exist. I'm well aware that profit-making and altogether technologically superfluously separate and expensive Language packs exist. I'm mocking the fact that they exist, and now, that you didn't pick-up on that, I'm mocking you.

Oh, ouch. Well, they say it is much harder to read the minds of trolls and angry and befuddled people. Couldn't read yours at all.

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2018 at 7:35 AM, MarkWebles said:

the GUI is just an external wrapper (shell) on the CLI ". Yes, Doug, that is a reasonable description of Linux, as it is of all operating systems that have a graphic user front end. 

I suppose,  but my understanding is there is a difference between using C# in Windows to do OS commands using GUI and overlaying your OS (Linux) with a script to do your OS commands with a GUI.     You can purchase a script for basic Linux and install it on your computer for easy GUI, where as using C# requires you to learn a complex programming language to get an easy to use GUI

But your original statement was that Linux is everywhere, whether we we know it or not.    I agree, but few care.

Remember IBM's , OS2.    It is still very predominant in banking applications (ATM ), and has an active User base, but who cares.  

On 7/22/2018 at 11:02 AM, BCdoug said:

I suppose,  but my understanding is there is a difference between using C# in Windows to do OS commands using GUI and overlaying your OS (Linux) with a script to do your OS commands with a GUI.     You can purchase a script for basic Linux and install it on your computer for easy GUI, where as using C# requires you to learn a complex programming language to get an easy to use GUI

But your original statement was that Linux is everywhere, whether we we know it or not.    I agree, but few care.

Remember IBM's , OS2.    It is still very predominant in banking applications (ATM ), and has an active User base, but who cares.  

Doug,

"This isn't right. This isn't even wrong."  - Wolfgang Pauli

Stick with Windows before someone gets hurt.

16 hours ago, MarkWebles said:

Doug,

"This isn't right. This isn't even wrong."  - Wolfgang Pauli

Can you be more specific

1. Windows GUI isn't written in C#

2. Banks never used OS2 for ATMs and OS2 does not have a current user community

3. A shell is not used by Linux to give a GUI 

or all of the above 

do you know C#

do you know OS2

are you a Linux developer

23 hours ago, MarkWebles said:

OS/2, it's a dead product.  Doug, is the flayrod still out of skew on the treadle?

Sorry, I am not a Monty Python fan

I attended an OS2 user group meeting in Mountain View, CA in 2003,  this 2017 link didn't get your memo on OS2 being dead  - https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/19/new_version_of_os_2_arca_os_5/  

Suffice it to say,  you are a great fan of Linux, so am I, as I have a lot of great utilities written in Linux, but Linux &  OS2 are for the geeks like us.   I will stick to Windows for practical use

According to the bible, Arca Noae (Noah's Arc) was a last-ditch effort to keep the world from dieing during the purge. I have to hand it to the OS/2 group apparently trying to do something similar.

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

According to the bible, Arca Noae (Noah's Arc) was a last-ditch effort to keep the world from dieing during the purge. I have to hand it to the OS/2 group apparently trying to do something similar.

I got some help with OS2 from a Genetics Prof  at UC Berkley and he loved OS2 so much that he wouldn't use anything else.    My brother, considered brilliant by some, also swore by it.   For mere mortals, like me, we are happy with Windows. 

See, at this point in my "career", I know for a fact that 98% of my customers... even the younger ones... only care about their email, their photos, their kids... and maybe their FaceBook. A handful are artists, and PhotoShop works fine on Windows for them. A handful are not retired, and their co-workers online use Windows. Several have Macs with Windows software installed, because that's the only way they can use their favourite tools. So it comes down to one thing for me: while yes, I can help and repair all kinds of things computer-wise, I keep Windows for my own use because it is ubiquitous and the programs are easy to get.

I have no problem at all with those who like to fiddle with Linux or anything else, but to suggest that the hundreds of millions of copies of Windows in use should be cast aside because Linux is "better", well... that's just not logical, Mr. Spock.

15 hours ago, BCdoug said:

I got some help with OS2 from a Genetics Prof  at UC Berkley and he loved OS2 so much that he wouldn't use anything else.    My brother, considered brilliant by some, also swore by it.   For mere mortals, like me, we are happy with Windows. 

Trust me, Doug, I'm an actual professional. or once was. OS/2 was discontinued back in 2001and for good reason, it was complicated, expensive, and was difficult to troubleshoot and to obtain adequate support for. And I include IBM's own helpdesk here. It was fine used as a simple desktop, but start adding 5250 or 3270 emulation into the mix, then all bets are/were off. System resource tuning was a nightmare. At the point of it's demise, and it pains me to admit, MS had a better product with Windows 2000. The fact some people continue to use OS/2 is no reflection on the viability of the product, after all there are user groups for Atari and CP/M.

12 hours ago, MarkWebles said:

Trust me, Doug,  difficult to troubleshoot and to obtain adequate support for. And I include IBM's own helpdesk here. 

I do trust you.   Yes, OS2 is very difficult to use.    You mentioned Linux was ubiquitous and many didn't know it (Android), I only mentioned OS2 because, it to (at one point) was ubiquitous and many didn't know it (ATMs).    And I find it interesting that people, who are much smarter than me (Genetics prof at UC Berkley and my chip designer brother) are ardent fans who will not use anything else.   My NAS drive runs on Linux, the OS is wonderful.  

14 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

See, at this point in my "career", I know for a fact that 98% of my customers... even the younger ones... only care about their email, their photos, their kids... and maybe their FaceBook.

If we use the remarkable growth of Android and IOS to the average non techie user, then perhaps Linux could replace Windows for the 98%, but not for me

And it's a problem, this massive growth, because the OS on Android devices is not accessible in the way Windows is, so repairs often amount to resetting the whole device back to scratch. Certainly, when they slow down (and they all, for a number of reasons), that is the best way to get them working properly again.

17 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

And it's a problem, this massive growth, because the OS on Android devices is not accessible in the way Windows is, so repairs often amount to resetting the whole device back to scratch. Certainly, when they slow down (and they all, for a number of reasons), that is the best way to get them working properly again.

I  am just waiting for the Android OS on my PC. HAHAHA

Archived