Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for Veal

mcintlm

Never seen it. Tony might be able to get it. His shop is just to the west of SuperLake. Costco at Galerias had it Christmas before last, scallopini, osso bucco, and veal roasts. 

22 minutes ago, mcintlm said:

Does anyone know where I can buy Veal in Ajijic or Chapala?

At the Mercado in Chapala, on the north side of the building, there is a butcher that carries it with the name of Carniceria "La Popular".

Capture.JPG

It's hard enough to get true veal NOB. the meat needs to be light pink and if it is any shade of red it's not veal. If you want it to make wiener schnitzel use pork tenderloin sliced thin and pounded. That actually has more flavour than veal and has the same consistency.

13 hours ago, camillenparadise said:

Ask for "ternera". I am craving some vitello tonnato right now myself!

Depending on who you're talking to,that can just mean  regular heifer or calf to them, both of which are too old to be considered as a veal source which comes from a milk fed calf no more than 20 weeks old. Economically,I can't picture anyone selling the real thing around here because the live weight of the animal would not exceed 500 pounds.  The true veal meat is very light pink to almost colourless. I was fortunate that there was an Italian butcher in Edmonton that sold it because Safeway never did but tried pawning off non veal as the real thing. Thankfully the Italians really like their veal dishes.

The French and Italians used to have great veal but the quality has gone down hill too.. I do not know why but the first thing I used to eat when I went back to France was veal roast..No more the quality is different, it does not taste the same so I gave up even in Europe. I make the veal dishes with pork now..

1 hour ago, ned small said:

Depending on who you're talking to,that can just mean  regular heifer or calf to them, both of which are too old to be considered as a veal source which comes from a milk fed calf no more than 20 weeks old. Economically,I can't picture anyone selling the real thing around here because the live weight of the animal would not exceed 500 pounds.  The true veal meat is very light pink to almost colourless. I was fortunate that there was an Italian butcher in Edmonton that sold it because Safeway never did but tried pawning off non veal as the real thing. Thankfully the Italians really like their veal dishes.

Viva Italia... 

https://goo.gl/images/S6uave

Veal is no big deal in this part of the world. The proverbial "fatted calf". The dairy farmers have to breed a milk cow once to produce milk. When the cows produce a male calf, they are sold off, just after weaning, and scoured. Some farmers raise the Toros to a bigger commercial size, they often keep one calf back, and fatten it up for family consumption.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/18/dining/18veal.html

23 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Veal is no big deal in this part of the world. The proverbial "fatted calf". The dairy farmers have to breed a milk cow once to produce milk. When the cows produce a male calf, they are sold off, just after weaning, and scoured. Some farmers raise the Toros to a bigger commercial size, they often keep one calf back, and fatten it up for family consumption.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/18/dining/18veal.html

No personal knowledge about veal then? But it's interesting that you did your usual google just so that you could comment. Calf once weaned is no longer a producer of veal no matter what the PC chefs and organizations say in that United States article. Yes they can be in a pasture where mother cow can feed but once the calf starts doing the same it is no longer veal meat producing.

Here's more interesting information than the BS you started, Nedro, with your massive authority on pink and red: virtually every animal raised for slaughter is still a baby at time of death. Cows, before they reach sexual maturity at the age of 30 months. Chickens are 12 weeks old, tops.

I might add that the OP was looking for veal, not a **urinating** contest.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Here's more interesting information than the BS you started, Nedro, with your massive authority on pink and red: virtually every animal raised for slaughter is still a baby at time of death. Cows, before they reach sexual maturity at the age of 30 months. Chickens are 12 weeks old, tops.

I might add that the OP was looking for veal, not a pissing contest.

Veal is the topic and most of the persons in the article that your buddy Gary has linked are trying to change the criteria that has been established long before you and I were born Senor computergoy. They have moved away from true veal and are selling a scam for all intents and purposes. And sticking further to the topic , the OP has a snowballs chance in hell of finding the real thing around here.

By the way a steer is not a cow and that is generally what is slaughtered for beef. It's a neutered bull and if you had any sort of experience ,which you clearly haven't, you would know that and have had prairie oysters at spring branding. Cows do not have such an appendage.😀😀😀😀

Just ned small

A quick check of Wiki says that veal is:

Types

Free-raised calves

There are several types of veal, although some terminology varies by country. Types of veal include:

Bob veal

Calves are slaughtered when only a few weeks old (at most 1 month old) weighing up to 60 lb.[3]

Formula-fed ("white" or "milk-fed") veal

Calves are raised on a milk formula supplement. The meat colour is ivory or creamy pink, with a firm, fine, and velvety appearance. The calves are usually slaughtered when they reach 18 to 20 weeks of age, weighing 450 to 500 pounds (200 to 230 kg).[4]

Nonformula-fed ("red" or "grain-fed") veal

Calves that are raised on grain, hay, or other solid food, in addition to milk. The meat is darker in colour, and some additional marbling and fat may be apparent. It is usually marketed as calf, rather than veal. The calves are slaughtered at 22 to 26 weeks of age weighing 650 to 700 pounds (290 to 320 kg).[5]

Rose veal (in the UK)

Young beef (in Europe)

Calves raised on farms in association with the UK Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals' Freedom Food programme. The name comes from the pink colour, which is partly a result of the calves being slaughtered later at about 35 weeks of age.[6]

Pasture-raised veal

Special-fed veal

Calves are fed a balanced milk or soy-based diet, fortified with 40 essential nutrients, including essential amino acids, carbohydrates, fats, dietary iron and other dietary minerals and vitamins. As of 2013, the majority of veal calves in the US are special-fed.

Fine, Pedro, a steer. Yep, I slipped: your favourite thing! How about if I said beef cattle, would that make you happy? And truly, who gives a cowpie toss? Only you and your continual ranting. Show me your certification in the butchery business, and then lay off.

You already told the OP his chances of getting veal locally; now you are just repeating yourself, only in your typical flowerly vitriol. Completely unnecessary, and done only to continue with your own sturm und drang.

41 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Fine, Pedro, a steer. Yep, I slipped: your favourite thing! How about if I said beef cattle, would that make you happy? And truly, who gives a cowpie toss? Only you and your continual ranting. Show me your certification in the butchery business, and then lay off.

You already told the OP his chances of getting veal locally; now you are just repeating yourself, only in your typical flowerly vitriol. Completely unnecessary, and done only to continue with your own sturm und drang.

How about. I was an advertising account executive  for a major meat packer so slipping and misnomers, etc. were not options. Angus has used WIKI to more or less say the same things that I have been saying.

Just ned small,not Pedro.

On 5/13/2018 at 9:36 AM, bmh said:

The French and Italians used to have great veal but the quality has gone down hill too.. I do not know why but the first thing I used to eat when I went back to France was veal roast..No more the quality is different, it does not taste the same so I gave up even in Europe. I make the veal dishes with pork now..

The pork tenderloin is excellent for Wiener, Pariser, natur schnitzel and medallions and is available here at every butcher,Soriana and Walmart.

I tried to buy some from our part time gardener, who is raising 9 Vacas at this time, all totally natural. The problem is he falls in love with them, looking up to him with their big calf eyes. He sings to them too, he swears that makes them happy, and they swing their tails  to the music. He can't bear to slaughter them, he says when they are ready for the U.S. and Mexico feedlots (at this point they need more expensive feed to fatten them up) he loads them on the cattle truck, gets his cash, and says goodbye. Only in Mexico, huh?

Its a country thing, you have to get out into the countryside farms and stores which sell it, who are not too fussy about getting the expensive slaugter stamps because they know the farmers where the meat came from.

21 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

I tried to buy some from our part time gardener, who is raising 9 Vacas at this time, all totally natural. The problem is he falls in love with them, looking up to him with their big calf eyes. He sings to them too, he swears that makes them happy, and they swing their tails  to the music. He can't bear to slaughter them, he says when they are ready for the U.S. and Mexico feedlots (at this point they need more expensive feed to fatten them up) he loads them on the cattle truck, gets his cash, and says goodbye. Only in Mexico, huh?

You posted this before verbatim  and it has absolutely nothing to do with veal. Are you bored Gary?

That's funny coming from you Ned - another border promotion from how many years ago?. So long ago wouldn't be surprised that you weren't' extolling the benefits ofBuffalo meat!

My friend is raising organic veal and I told you the best place to find it.

3 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

That's funny coming from you Ned - another border promotion from how many years ago?. So long ago wouldn't be surprised that you weren't' extolling the benefits ofBuffalo meat!

My friend is raising organic veal and I told you the best place to find it.

You have told us he is raising "cattle". Veal calves are not sent to feed lots,therefore your friend is not a source and you are far from being a source of veal information.

Archived