Chapala.com Webboard

Bolillos

Alpha1

Avoid those at SuperLake. Not only are they in bags, but somehow they manage to source "fake" bolillos. Different taste and texture. The Rainbow abarrote in Riberas gets theirs at 3:15 pm, which is great if you aren't able to run out in the morning. Not sure there is anything near WalMart, although there must be something in San Antonio.

I think it is ARCO IRIS, and it is in the strip mall near where Parker Insurance and Magaña used to be, which yes is close to the Catholic Church. Or am I guessing because they have a painted rainbow on their sign?

51 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Some people confuse a bolillo with a birote as it looks very much the same, but is dense enough to be drowned in tomato juice (ahogado).

Crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside, the “birote” (also known as “bolillo”) is a delicious French-style baguette native to Guadalajara. Together with the Mexican Institute of Industrial Property (IMPI), birote manufacturers are to file a Denomination of Origin claim to protect the savory bread.Jun 19, 2012

Birote-fleiman.jpg?fit=700,467

If you can not tell the difference in the two, you don't get around much.

The birote is a variety of bread of Mexican origin that is baked until golden. It has a similar consistency to the roll and its shape is very similar to the baguette , but its flavor and consistency are different. It occurs particularly in the state of Jalisco , in the city of Guadalajara .

Sure the locals may call them bolillos, but they don't get out much either.

You can ask for bolillos for ahogadas, and stores lakeside might say no or might send you to a bakery, because the average Josefina never buys them. They make even correct your reference as birote. They are saltier and tougher, able to stand up to the sauce used for tortas ahogadas. I love 'em, but would never try to make a sandwich with them.

20 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I love 'em, but would never try to make a sandwich with them.

You should try it with fried cheese. Cut the bread length wise. Put a slice of good melting cheese on the bread . Put cheese side down on pan. Fry the cheese until it brown and crispy. 

I like to put fill pickles between the bread and cheese before frying.

5 hours ago, Alpha1 said:

Crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside,

Birote-fleiman.jpg?fit=700,467

These are available in a large basket at the west entrance to the Chapala Mercado. One would be advised to get there fairly early in the AM. The vendor also have these among other things. tomato tomato comes to mind as to what you want to call either one. Just point.

birote-fleima.jpg

19 hours ago, ned small said:

These are available in a large basket at the west entrance to the Chapala Mercado. One would be advised to get there fairly early in the AM. The vendor also have these among other things. tomato tomato comes to mind as to what you want to call either one. Just point.

birote-fleima.jpg

I bought these (joined in the middle, which have a denser interior) there once but the taste was definitively strange, almost as if they contained hot sauce! ? 

To clarify:
In Ned's photos, bolillos are the bread with rounded ends.  Birote is the bread with pointed ends, and it's the birote that is used to make tortas ahogadas.

The so-called bolillos served at Café El Popular in Mexico City are the same awful ones you can buy at any supermarket.  A travesty and not worthy of the name bolillo.

I have not found a single bakery in Mexico City that produces true bolillos.  You guys at Lakeside are lucky, lucky, lucky.  If anybody's coming over here and could bring me a dozen, I would be eternally grateful.  

10 hours ago, miraval52 said:

She is asking for bolillos..wallmart is the only place who make it.... the price  1.50

birote.... you can found at many places   the price 5.00 or more....

The bolillos at Walmart are NOT BOLILLOS.  They are labeled bolillos but they are a fairly recent awful modern "invention" that bears NO resemblance to the real thing.  Neither is the bread in AngusMactavish's video bolillos--those are the dumbed-down no-flavor no-texture Walmart/Superama/Soriana/every supermarket in Mexico version of bread that is labeled bolillo but is not a bolillo.  Don't be fooled, newbies.  

Maybe the Rosas family bakery still makes real bolillos--Panadería Rosas is the bakery where a sign on a post at the corner of Calle Juárez and Calle Ángel Flores simply says "PAN".  If you go there, ask what time the bolillo comes out of the oven.  If it's still the same bolillo as it used to be--dense, chewy interior, slightly crusty exterior, big bread flavor--you're in for a treat.   

16 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Capture.JPG

That sounds like the bread, plus a couple of other kinds, that is delivered every morning to the local corner markets here in the city. It is kept a bread bag during the day. Toward the end of the day they either don't sell it or tell you " no good". 

Don't you have that Lakeside?

Archived