Chapala.com Webboard

Lawn Mower Mechanic

I haven't used this person but I see a lot of activity in front of the business. Lateral road in Chapala heading out of town on the left, many lawn mowers for sale. It is just past the cut out to turn left off the main road. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Maybe. We gave him our electric mower for a tuneup, and when he returned it, it wouldn't start. He had never checked that. Properly tuning a motor includes running the darn thing for troubleshooting. I'd say that everyone makes the odd mistake, but that's a pretty basic consideration, which to me reflects on the whole of a person's abilities.

Very few gas mowers need actual repair.  If there is an engine problem you are probably better off replacing it.  Most mowers just need a few basic things done every year or two depending on how much mowing they actually have done.  They need a new filter, a new spark plug, the oil changed, and the blade sharpened.  Be sure to check the freshness of the fuel.  If it smells like varnish then that is what it is and should be dumped.  That's it.  Don't let the traveling sharpening guy with the whistle "sharpen" anything...ever.  Take out the old plug and filter and take with you to buy ones that match.  Most gardeners know very little about basic repairs so maybe the repair shop could change the oil and sharpen the blade for you.  Alan

It needed the starter rope replaced. I tried but getting the return spring back it was beyond my abilities. It hadn't been taken care of so I asked the mechanic to check every thing.  Leaving to pick it up now.

T

I would like to recommend the mechanic that worked on my mower. He sharpened the blade, new spark plug, new fuel line, new starter rope, changed the oil and replaced an electrical stater thingy. All for 700 pesos. I was very pleased. It a shame how equipment is neglected in Mexico. That's something I don't understand, only fix it when it won't work anymore. No maintenance. His shop is opposite Sorianas on the hi way going to Guadalajara.

Archived