Chapala.com Webboard

Access to Smart TV by Phone

Wookie

This may be a stupid question but while watching TV, across the top of the screen appeared a question.  Something on the order of saying that a Samsung Galaxy 5 phone wanted access and gave a choice of allow or deny. We have no idea what this is all about and we denied this request.  Has anyone experienced this and do you know what the deal is?

Do you have such a phone?  That phone had "casting" turned on and your smart tv was asking if you wanted to display whatever was on the screen of that phone to your TV. If it's not your phone, someone else is in the vicinity.  Since Roku took USTVNOW from their platform casting from a phone is the easiest way to get the picture on your TV.

I do have a phone in the same room.  I always have my phone with me when watching TV and this has never happened.  I don't know about casting and my phone is a Motorola not a Samsung Galaxy 5.  Why would someone want access to our TV?

10 hours ago, Wookie said:

I do have a phone in the same room.  I always have my phone with me when watching TV and this has never happened.  I don't know about casting and my phone is a Motorola not a Samsung Galaxy 5.  Why would someone want access to our TV?

Chances are they simply had "casting" accidentally turned on in their phone and were passing by. Your TV and their phone made an automatic "connection" and like a good TV, it asked you if you really wanted to watch the screen contents of that device. No big deal.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Archived