Chapala.com Webboard

Scam Artists

ccw

20 hours ago, phxfunguy said:

A new scam from this couple, I think.  Yesterday my Shaw installer, José Anguiano from Chapala, was at my house upgrading my system and he had to drive to Guad to have my box repaired.On the way he received a call requesting a service call.  The man then called back after a short while requesting he stop at Oxxo and put $100 on the man's phone.  It seems that he was driving to town as well, a car stopped short in front of him and he rear-ended it.  The little girl inside didn't have a seatbelt on, hit her head, blood was flowing, and they were now all at the hospital in Guad where she needed a CAT scan.  Yet he only started out with the $100 request from José.  José immediately recognized the scam scenario that was about to roll out but played along with him for fun as he had three hours to kill in Guad while he waited for my box.  The guy called him back several times waiting for the $100 credit on his phone as he was "almost out of minutes."  José strung him along by saying he'd tried to make the transfer but the numbers must have been wrong as he'd tried "five times and it wouldn't go through."  

When he returned with my repaired box, he asked me to listen in on the next conversation with this guy on speakerphone.  So he called him to verify the numbers again and they were correct.  His voice bore a soft southern accent.  The man became irritated and said, "Listen, man, you been lyin' to me and I been lyin' to you but I never "aksed" you to do nothin' you didn't wanna do."  José then still maintained he'd tried and the guy hung up.  When I recognized the Gullah word "aksed" I read this thread to José and I strongly suspected this was the husband of the scam couple.

Some of these stories leave me completely baffled..how does Jose get involved.... or the person have his contact number..did Jose have some contact with them before????

They are usually random phone calls and then they hit on a "mark". I either don't answer calls when I don't know the number or play with 'em like a cat plays with a dead mouse and string 'em along.

The calls that are targeted and know relatives names etc have usually picked up the info from a social media page like Facebook. One of the reasons that I don't do Facebook or Twitter or ?

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Some of these stories leave me completely baffled..how does Jose get involved.... or the person have his contact number..did Jose have some contact with them before????

Easy, he had asked someone for a referral to fix a broken Shaw box and they gave him José's number

Lots and lots of scam artists.  NEVER lend anyone money.  Never, nope doesn´t matter if they have a great business idea, 99.9% of the people get scammed and never paid. You may be different and if not naive and you have some gift or ESP then day trading will still be more profitable.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1