Chapala.com Webboard

Ceiling fan installation/repairs

• 4 weeks later...

Happy with his work and reasonable charges. Nice guy and knows what he is doing. Only problem is we are still waiting for a small part that he hopes to have by next week for one of the fans. The fan is quite old and I thought he would suggest replacement, but he thinks he can find the part. That was a nice surprise.

• 2 weeks later...

Ceiling Fan repair--------------

Now here is another first, who says I will see you tomorrow morning, Saturday, at 8 AM AND SHOWS UP A FEW Minutes TO 8?  This guy is a real mechanic, took the ceiling fan down, analyzed the problem, and came up with a capacitor being the culprit.

Now, he then goes and gets a new part, and returns to replace, and now it works just like new.  Price 500 Pesos complete. Total work time 3 hours.         Miguel Angel 376.765.4872    cell 045.331.045.3699 

Best of all he cleans up after himself, and has a smile on his face the whole time he is working.  His card says he is located in Chapala, and he specializes in plumbing  electrical work and general maintenance.

42 minutes ago, captnaselli said:

Now here is another first, who says I will see you tomorrow morning, Saturday, at 8 AM AND SHOWS UP A FEW Minutes TO 8?  This guy is a real mechanic, took the ceiling fan down, analyzed the problem, and came up with a capacitor being the culprit.

Now, he then goes and gets a new part, and returns to replace, and now it works just like new.  Price 500 Pesos complete. Total work time 3 hours.         Miguel Angel 376.765.4872    cell 045.331.045.3699 

Best of all he cleans up after himself, and has a smile on his face the whole time he is working.  His card says he is located in Chapala, and he specializes in plumbing  electrical work and general maintenance.

Sounds like he's living up to his surname.  I have filed this info. for future. Thanks.

11 hours ago, captnaselli said:

So great you got a responsible tradesman!  I'm pretty handy and have replaced the capacitors in most all of my fans myself. It's a common thing to wear out and they cost a grand total of about 35 pesos. Never needed to take the fan down, the capacitor is usually easy to find after unscrewing the top of the housing (shut off the electrical breaker first, kids!), there's just two little wires to reconnect to the new capacitor.  Have done this with stand fans as well- I have 300 peso Walmart stand fans that are still going strong after 6-7 years. If the fan starts to slow down, not moving the air as it used to, the capacitor is usually the problem.

5 hours ago, mudgirl said:

So great you got a responsible tradesman!  I'm pretty handy and have replaced the capacitors in most all of my fans myself. It's a common thing to wear out and they cost a grand total of about 35 pesos. Never needed to take the fan down, the capacitor is usually easy to find after unscrewing the top of the housing (shut off the electrical breaker first, kids!), there's just two little wires to reconnect to the new capacitor.  Have done this with stand fans as well- I have 300 peso Walmart stand fans that are still going strong after 6-7 years. If the fan starts to slow down, not moving the air as it used to, the capacitor is usually the problem.

The question is:  If it's that simple, I'm wondering why it took him 3 hours?

Well first we had to get ladder to do the job, had to go to the neighbors next door, get permission, and bring it to location. Next analyze the job, by testing the pull chains, electrical wall switch and then the remote control.  Remove fan, then find the problem, go to get the part, return to the job site, after going through the guard gate which was backed up with traffic, back to the fan, clean the blades, and reinstall the remote module, finally remove the old part and install the new one. Test the job and then receive payment.  Total time 3 hours.

Oh one other thing, when you are 87 years old, who wants to climb ladders, and try to take the fan down????  Another thing the ceilings are not low...........Not I. 

9 hours ago, gringal said:

The question is:  If it's that simple, I'm wondering why it took him 3 hours?

As captnaselli explained. I wasn't insinuating that he was overcharged, not at all. The tradesman sounds like he was very thorough, and wasn't going to replace a part on the off-chance that that was the problem, only to have to go out again to buy a different part. 

And I realize that a lot of people have no desire whatsoever, or are physically unable to get up on a ladder and it's great when you find a repairman who shows up when he says he will and works til the job is successfully completed.

The info I posted above was just to share with people who aren't opposed to doing a pretty simple job themselves, that a failing capacitor can be replaced with nothing more than a ladder, a screwdriver, a 35 peso part and about a half hour of time. Not having to do it yourself would be worth 500 pesos to many, and I often pay people to do things I'm capable of, but simply don't want to do.

Archived