Chapala.com Webboard

Shaw TV

Contact Michael Merryman at Ajijic Electronics or there is a place in GDL (but can't remember the name atm). Read the threads here and TOB on Shaw service. Shaw seems to be clamping down on out of Canada service.

Oh and you posted this request a number of times so you might want to delete the others.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, WideSky said:

Contact Michael Merryman at Ajijic Electronics or there is a place in GDL (but can't remember the name atm). Read the threads here and TOB on Shaw service. Shaw seems to be

Shaw will ignore you if you don't advertise where you are.

1 hour ago, WideSky said:

Contact Michael Merryman at Ajijic Electronics or there is a place in GDL (but can't remember the name atm). Read the threads here and TOB on Shaw service. Shaw seems to be clamping down on out of Canada service.

Oh and you posted this request a number of times so you might want to delete the others.

http://www.cp-electronics.com/eng/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Go on to Facebook if you are a current and try Beg, Buy, Barter & Sell, Mexpat Chapala, Gringos Ajijic and there may be other sites.  Have seen a lot of people looking for service and offer to share their service.  I have heard the suggested provider is expensive.

• Sad 1

I think there are two issues - getting signed up with Shaw for access and obtaining/installing the necessary equipment.

If you are Canadian and have a legitimate Canadian residential address you have some options as far as signing up for service including signing up directly with Shaw yourself. Do not mention Mexico in any of your communication with Shaw - VERY important. If you don't have that option you will definitely need help getting signed up. Ajijic Satellite & CP Electronics can help. You might also find someone that can add you to their account but I personally would not do so. This is not something you want to get wrong as Shaw seems to be paying more attention to verifying "legitimate" users. Just my opinion.

For the equipment those two companies can provide you with the dish and box(es) you need. The equipment is not cheap to start with and when those folks import the equipment including shipping and duty the cost can only go up. It is possible to buy the equipment yourself and I have even found an online resource that will ship to the U.S. - but not to Mexico. As mentioned you might find someone selling equipment that could save you some money. My suggestions are that you make sure to buy up to date boxes - 600 or 800 series and not the older 300 or 500 models. Also I have heard of a few folks that bought used boxes that had previously been activated where they ran into problems reactivating them under a different name.

For the dish it doesn't really make sense to try to have one shipped. Size and shipping cost would be at least somewhat problematic. Probably best to buy at least the dish from one of the local providers and then have them install & align it. I guess you could bring a dish down if you were driving. I have brought more than one box down in my airline carry-on luggage - but never considered bringing down a dish.

Be prepared for a little "cost shock" upfront but once you are up and running you should be happy with the available content. I don't think you can go wrong with either of the recommended options. I use Ajijic Satellites in part because they are "local" but I have heard good things about CP too.

• Thanks 1

I want to compliment you for what you have written about Shaw. It was right on. The family has had a Shaw Direct, then Star Choice account since 1999 or 2000 at our cottage on Vancouver Island. And I had and have been paying my satellite account since that time at my northern WA state address which is just a bit south of the Vancouver Island, BC using my Bank of America account. No problem because many of us just over the boarder have weekend homes or cottages across in beautiful British Columbia with many of us on or near Vancouver Island.

I still remember waking up at 1:45 AM Monday morning February 21, 2001 here in Ajijic when then Star Choice activated there then Anik F1 for the first time. I was using an 18 foot satellite dish and a free to air receiver and the signal was scrambled. But at 2 AM when the signal went live, I knew then we could receive a signal this far south.  The rest is history.

We bought and installed a Shaw System from Ajijic Electronics in 2012. In 2015, they bought the system back from me. Mike Merryman is a good guy with whom to do business. My point being that they also probably have used systems to purchase as well.

Originally, I brought down a Shaw System from Canada for our house in San Pancho. Yes, even the elliptical dish fit in a large suitcase... well padded with towels. So it is possible.

Do the local thing. When your dish gets blown out of alignment or something else, they are an easy phone call away and a short trip for service.

• Thanks 2

• 2 years later...
13 minutes ago, Happy Gringo said:

I am looking for a Shaw Direct remote control. Mine is not working well Does anyone have one to sell? Pleasephone 376 766 5401 in Ajijic

There are many different remotes for Shaw receivers.  Perhaps you have a model number or picture of the remote you are trying to replace?

I have SHAW service that I share.  I have a spot and can sell you a SHAW receiver and Satellite dish 3000 peso.  You have to hire someone to set it all up. I know a man who can set it all up.  The monthly cost is 650 peso.  Send a message if interested

On 4/20/2018 at 9:04 AM, WideSky said:

CP Electronics.

16 hours ago, Happy Gringo said:

I am looking for a Shaw Direct remote control. Mine is not working well Does anyone have one to sell? Pleasephone 376 766 5401 in Ajijic

Teleservicio Calvario in San Juan Cosala can repair & clean Shaw remotes.

A Harmony learning remote is easy to order online. Harmony maintains a database of receiver codes, meaning you can instantly get Shaw access on one of their remotes without needing an original from Shaw to learn it. I could not tell you what the price differntial might be when comparing buying a Shaw remote lakeside vs. buying a Harmony remote online.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-915-000293-Harmony-Advanced-Remote/dp/B077Q9C8T8/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=harmony+remote&qid=1611842411&sr=8-18

You can get one for about $100 from Amazon US shipped here. Amazon Mexico is substantially more costly. For some reason, the price of these has more than doubled over the past year. Logitech's Website says they are sold out. Production issues during Covid?

Happyjillin posted a photo of his house above your latest post Happy Gringo. Drive towards Chapala from Ajijic on the highway. You will see Farmacia Guadalajara on your right and a plaza on your left. Slow down and keep going. His house is on the left... very obvious. If you see Delicias Restaurant on your left, you have gone too far.