Chapala.com Webboard

Ilox Subscription Update

https://go.frontier.com/recommended-internet-speed-for-streaming

Recommended Internet Speed

You need a minimum download speed of 3 Megabits per second to watch a single video stream in clear, standard definition. The best Internet speed for HD streaming is 5Mbps, and if you go all the way up to 4K streaming, or ultra HD, your bandwidth should start at 25Mbps. You can get by on a congested network if you lower your app's image quality settings, but for a consistently clear streaming experience, aim higher.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Internet speed and WiFi throughput were mentioned on page 1 of this thread. And on many others when discussing streaming: basically, as you say, without good speed, forget it.

5 hours ago, NLU said:

Recommended Internet Speed

You need a minimum download speed of 3 Megabits per second to watch a single video stream in clear, standard definition. The best Internet speed for HD streaming is 5Mbps, and if you go all the way up to 4K streaming, or ultra HD, your bandwidth should start at 25Mbps. You can get by on a congested network if you lower your app's image quality settings, but for a consistently clear streaming experience, aim higher.

People forget that these speeds are for one device.  They think they can also use the internet on other devices at the same time.

Yes, for sure. In fact, just by following threads like this one, it becomes clear that there are a whole lot of things to consider and understand. My post was aimed at Adirondacker, who may not have started reading at the beginning.

Streaming takes over while it is being done, and other users experience drops and slowdowns. And vice versa: someone who wants to stream while I'm downloading files is going to see problems. So your post about speeds is right on.

26 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Streaming takes over while it is being done, and other users experience drops and slowdowns. And vice versa: someone who wants to stream while I'm downloading files is going to see problems. So your post about speeds is right on.

This is from experience. I have one family member doing on-line shopping and another doing on-line gaming. I just turn down the transfer rate so there is no stopage of video. And this is in the city.

(Then you are the IN CROWD, because the sale of pickups has never been higher. Mind you, the kits I've seen, I would never use one for actual work... such an easy way to mess up a $35,000 exterior.)

TelMex introduced dual-band modems over a year ago, and then quickly stopped when they discovered (via people like me, no doubt) they couldn't support the download speeds already available. In my case, the max speed attainable dropped 50%.

You can, however, buy third-party dual-band routers, for those who might be interested.

I completely understand that some folks just can't take the leap of faith that is required to make the ILOX deal have a chance of going forward. I really do understand that perspective as well as the reality that some folks just can't afford the upfront cost. There is definitely some risk involved and everyone has to do that risk/return assessment on their own. Makes sense to me but I understand that others just can't get there.

The reality is that ILOX put forward a proposal and not enough folks have agreed to that proposal so it won't go forward. Absolutely no problem with ILOX's proposal OR with anyone's response to that proposal. However, saying that ILOX should do this differently is really a moot point. They get to say what they will/won't do and we all get to agree - or not. Just like the pricing and terms/conditions of any other product or service - Superlake, restuarants, cabs/car service, and a ton of others that are debated over and over.

So the one thing that is absolutely certain as a result of the response ILOX has received is that we will not have any options that could be described as "high speed internet" anytime in the near future. Telmex and Izzy/Telecable are clearly not going to make the investment needed to really change anything here. In fact, as more people come to our area, the actual reliability, quality and speed available to us is more likely to get worse rather than better. We have lost the one real chance we had for that to change for a long time.

I understand - I REALLY do. I am just disappointed. I REALLY want higher speed but am obviously getting by with what is available. My only observation is that we shouldn't gripe about Telmex or Telecable since we passed on a chance at an alternative. Just like ILOX they have made business decisions and we have to live with what they have decided. The only thing less effective than debating how ILOX should have handled this is expecting things to get better with Telmex or Telecable.

All the posts about workarounds to try pick up very small increases in speed are sort of funny.

First: I "REALLY" hate to put it this way, but your post comes across as shaming those who didn't go along with Ilox's proposal for reasons that vary from not being able financially to pay the upfront cost, or who don't feel they need it, or just are not confident about the service they will get, so maybe "shame on you."  You moved here with the service being what it is, and you had the choice of moving elsewhere.  You chose not to.  :010:

Second: You posted " Telmex and Izzy/Telecable are clearly not going to make the investment needed to really change anything here."

Do you have the ear of the top dogs at Telmex? Why state it as if it's the solid truth? As far as I know, none of us knows what may or may not be in the pipeline.

Where is Tom Kessler while this debate is going on?

The  tongue in cheek comments about a less expensive version suggested a plan at about 5000p and I would certainly go along with that. Now it seems that option is not available lakeside so I will wait and see, the next higher amount is more that I want to risk and need.

BTW does everyone know that Telmex has had fibre-optic cable on the carretera from Jocopec to Chapala for many years. Maybe they are just waiting for Ilox to put in theirs and then offer discounts. Alternatively they may be just looking at what is going on, to decide if there is a viable market by someone else doing the survey.

Just a thought

First, REC, I don't know why you are the only one who seems to know that the Ilox project will not go through. Where did you get your information?

Second, dave0415, same question: where did you get that information? I can find no evidence or proof of such a thing; just years of speculation.

By the way, those were not tongue in cheek discussions: there was a post by someone who had no idea what they were talking about as it relates to lakeside.

Third, I'm with you, Gringal. And I should add that in the time I've been here, my TelMex Internet has gone from 512 kpbs on a dialup modem, to 40 Mbps, with included WiFi. Yes, TelMex is slothlike here at lakeside, and so different areas are still suffering from slow speeds. But most of Chapala gets 20 Mbps, and even Ch. Haciendas and Brisas are getting 10, so... where's the beef, REC?

3 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

First, REC, I don't know why you are the only one who seems to know that the Ilox project will not go through. Where did you get your information?

Second, dave0415, same question: where did you get that information? I can find no evidence or proof of such a thing; just years of speculation.

By the way, those were not tongue in cheek discussions: there was a post by someone who had no idea what they were talking about as it relates to lakeside.

Third, I'm with you, Gringal. And I should add that in the time I've been here, my TelMex Internet has gone from 512 kpbs on a dialup modem, to 40 Mbps, with included WiFi. Yes, TelMex is slothlike here at lakeside, and so different areas are still suffering from slow speeds. But most of Chapala gets 20 Mbps, and even Ch. Haciendas and Brisas are getting 10, so... where's the beef, REC?

I got the info from a well known local contractor and it was confirmed in a telephone conversation with Tom Kessler. PM if you want a name

2 hours ago, REC said:

Absolutely no problem with ILOX's proposal

If there are no problems, why is the funding not done? Maybe 200 customers (investors) are too many to convince. If it is such a great proposal, why isn't there a small group of investors jumping at the proposal to make money for themselves. 

Computer Guy

I'm lucky when my internet works at all down here on bottom of La Floresta.

It's seldom 5, often buffers while streaming due to less than 2Mbps

T\Last week, The Telmex service guy said it was a frayed wire on my roof.

Today, Telmex said that all of Lakeside is having this problem due to problem in Guadalajara.

Bad service to no service iced with lies.

Pi**ed ain't the word

At Telemex and at those who bitch without a dog in the fight!

Gents,

Sorry I've been travelling on business in Monterrey and just saw this thread.  Wow...what a huge amount of rumor mongering!    So lets set the record straight:  The project is going very well.  Nothing has been cancelled nor is there any indication it will be, au contraire,  about 5 to 10 people keep paying in daily and 6 gated communities have lined up banging on the door for contractor quotes.   

There seems to be a lot of emphasis on how many have paid in, etc...well...yes, people take a while to get to the bank....and it takes a while for people to get their data in correctly and get their contracts...and yes a lot of the high income folks are in gated communities that have infrastructure obstacles,   and all that was exactly the reason Ilox wanted to see a few hundred people paid up showing skin in the game...and I expect we'll be there pretty soon.    The email based pledge process has been cumbersome...mail goes to spam folders, people send in smudgy ID's,  language issues..etc... but its all getting worked just fine. 

Here is the link to signup instructions with some needed clarifications.  If you've pledged and wish to continue, please just follow the instructions:  

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NFc0OPJEE5PT6GlPMHvq5V4f05hV7zUq

If you have pledged and are expecting to hear something and haven't, we are starting to follow up with all the stragglers to see what is going on.  But please take the initiative if you can and follow the instructions. 

Let me reiterate for all those that think Ilox should be doing more...They didn't ask to come to Ajijic.  My group and I asked them to come here.  Because their high speed fiber optic ring happens to go right through Jocotepec.   Because they're a business grade carrier who's been around 22 years with the lowest complaint level in the country.   Because Telmex wouldn't give us the time of day.   All they asked is for a few hundred people to show enough interest to seed the project.  The amount of money that will raise is but a fraction of the investment required.  Can anyone blame them? 

When we reach the paid-in, Ilox will commit internally to the project, open an office, start marketing, etc.  Until then its incumbent upon us to welcome them. 

Please join me in signing up.  Ilox is a federal carrier with an impeccable record.  The deposit contract has been reviewed by several lakeside attorneys who have given a clean bill of health.  Your money is safe.

thanks,

Tom Kessler

My apologies - especially to Ted who has done us all a great favor by taking on this initiative. I definitely expressed some opinions rather than stating facts and I should have known better. I guess my frustration is that this shouldn't even be close. As I understand it almost 500 people said they would pay in advance and as of the last update I saw only around 100 had actually done so. In the absence of an update I made assumptions and that was definitely a mistake and very unfair to Ted - and Ilox.

Ted - thanks again for your efforts on our behalf. I do agree with Ted that it is not appropriate to criticize the way Ilox has handled this as they did not come to us. We (actually Ted) went to them. That is a separate issue and I bundled that in with some other issues.

Also, I definitely take responsibility for my comments about Telmex and Telecable not making significant investments here. I definitely don't have any inside information but made assumptions based on what they have done previously, what I have been told and knowing how budget decisions for this type of capital expenditures are often made based on having been responsible for those types of decisions in a previous life. But I don't have inside information and should have made it clear that I was expressing what I still think is a reasonable assumption but I should have said it more elegantly.

My last comment on all this is that I do reject the idea that because the infrastructure was not very advanced when I moved here that I shouldn't want an improvement. Or that I should move rather than wanting anything to get better. Sorry - I don't understand that argument but that is not important and I should have ignored those comments. And I will do so going forward.

Again, my thanks, apologies and admiration to Ted for starting all this and sticking with it. I am very happy to hear that things are moving forward. THANKS Ted!

" My last comment on all this is that I do reject the idea that because the infrastructure was not very advanced when I moved here that I shouldn't want an improvement. Or that I should move rather than wanting anything to get better. Sorry - I don't understand that argument but that is not important and I should have ignored those comments. And I will do so going forward" (REC)

The argument that those who moved here with full knowledge of the lack of (for them) adequate facilities to meed their wants or needs have no business whining about it after the fact, is valid.  They had choices at the time.  This is not to say they can't hope for improvement and work towards getting it.  What's been annoying to others is the "attitude problem" as demonstrated in REC's first post above.  I'm glad he toned it down, and that he stopped spreading fake news about the failure of the project.

2 hours ago, gringal said:

The argument that those who moved here with full knowledge of the lack of (for them) adequate facilities to meed their wants or needs have no business whining about it after the fact, is valid.  They had choices at the time.  This is not to say they can't hope for improvement and work towards getting it.  What's been annoying to others is the "attitude problem" as demonstrated in REC's first post above.  I'm glad he toned it down, and that he stopped spreading fake news about the failure of the project.

You keep saying that people move here with full knowledge of lack of facilities. Perhaps you're unaware that there is a huge variance in the quality of internet speed from one neighborhood to the next, or even parts of the same town, from street to street. I am not "whining" when I complain about the poor 3 mbps download speed at my house. I will continue to do it. I won't move to Guad to get better broadband, as has been suggested.

The hostility of some posts on the subject of trying to get good internet service is kind of amazing.

Just one more try:  Intelligent people do research before moving to an area or a specific neighborhood. They prioritize their needs. If having high speed internet is very high on their list, they don't move to a neighborhood where it's low.  If they do it anyway and then complain about it.......it doesn't make much sense.

When some entity, be it Telmex or a newcomer on the scene can provide me with better internet speed, I'll be prompt to sign up.  I'll expect to pay by the month.  I don't have to pay any other utility a year in advance, so why should this be different?  (The  "skin in the game" cliche doesn't work for me since the deal doesn't include shares in the company.)

The claim about "hostility" doesn't fly, either, since some of the enthusiasts in favor of having Ilox have stooped to ridiculing others who aren't coming on board with insults such as having a horse and buggy mind set.  That's a poor method of persuasion.  Could we stick to logic and civilized discussion instead?

We didn't get internet lakeside until Lagunanet went active in May 1997.  I had already chosen my house by then and had made an offer. It closed later in 1997.  And gee we were excited when we got 28.8 bits per second download speed. Now I would complain if I were only getting 3megbit/sec down.  I got lucky I have been getting 10 down by 0.45 Mb/sec up for a couple of years. Sure I want faster internet. 30 down by 2 up would be great. But I will take what I get with a smile.

My primary reason for living here is not the internet. But I sure hope ILox comes lakeside. I might even start streaming instead of getting great TV via satellite.

When we moved into La Huerta, the telmex speed was 5 mps down. Enough for our needs. Then it started to get slower with lots of "no service" moments and we also took on cable so we could switch back and forth. Cable was fine and then it started to get slower too. When I left there, my speed was about 2.5 mps down on either service.

I also pay my water bill, my car tags and my house taxes one year in advance.

Archived