Chapala.com Webboard

Permanente Needed

Arjay

(1)  My husband has had his Permanente for about 2 years.

(2)  I come into Mexico on a Visitors' Visa and now wish to apply for my Permanente.  I had understood that I could make the application from the Mexican Consulate in Toronto, and when I receive the paperwork bring it back to Ajijic and submit the application within 30 days.

(3)  I have subsequently read that I must have a Temporale for 2 years before applying for a Permanente, because my husband already has his Permanente.

Can somebody please clarify this for me or know if there's any way around this to shorten the process.  Otherwise it sounds as if I won't be able to get it for 3 years and I'm concerned in the event we need to sell our home, which is in both our names.

Any accurate help would be most appreciated.  Thank  you.

Suggest you contact a professional such as an attorney familiar with Immigration law rather than depending on a chat board for legal advice. I'm sure the cost would be worth the peace of mind of knowing you got the accurate advice you seek.

On the other hand if you're just looking for amateur opinions.........

You do not need to be Temporal before becoming Permanente.  You may apply for it directly from a Consulate outside of Mexico.  You will be approved as long as you can prove income requirements.  If income is joint, you will need to show original marriage certificate and it will possibly need an Apostille. 

This is not guess work on my part.  The information is directly from Immigration as well as an attorney here.

When the sponsor is a Permanent Resident the other family member/s will need to be a Temporary Resident for 1 year and in 12 months renew for 1 more year before becoming a PR. There is the need to apostille or legalize marriage certificate and to have the apostille and license  translated by a certified translator in Mexico. Same process applies for a child who is being sponsored by a parent with a Temporary or Permanent Resident visa. For a child the birth certificate requires to be apostille or legalized and both documents translated by a certified in Mexico. Child's name on passport and birth certificates must match to the letter.

Source: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/immigration---visas.html

Also note that while the Mexican immigration law is very specific, how it works out in practice is quite variable. I can not speak to the consulates in Canada, but in the US some Mexican consulates are notorious for refusing to issue the Permanente entrance visa even when the applicant meets all the criteria.

3 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

When the sponsor is a Permanent Resident the other family member/s will need to be a Temporary Resident for 1 year and in 12 months renew for 1 more year before becoming a PR. There is the need to apostille or legalize marriage certificate and to have the apostille and license  translated by a certified translator in Mexico. Same process applies for a child who is being sponsored by a parent with a Temporary or Permanent Resident visa. For a child the birth certificate requires to be apostille or legalized and both documents translated by a certified in Mexico. Child's name on passport and birth certificates must match to the letter.

Source: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/immigration---visas.html

This information is not correct. Granted my family came over 3 yeas ago, but the requirements have not changed. Me, My wife and 3 kids are all Permanente from day 1. Zeb's information is accurate.

28 minutes ago, Chapala Drone said:

This information is not correct. Granted my family came over 3 yeas ago, but the requirements have not changed. Me, My wife and 3 kids are all Permanente from day 1. Zeb's information is accurate.

You all applied as a family at one time NOB. That is not the case for the OP where she could apply inside of Mexico without producing financials.

Spencer, could you please step in here and let me know the situation.  Thanks.

You do not need to be Temporal before becoming Permanente.  You may apply for it directly from a Consulate outside of Mexico.  You will be approved as long as you can prove income requirements.  If income is joint, you will need to show original marriage certificate and it will possibly need an Apostille. 

This is not guess work on my part.  The information is directly from Immigration as well as an attorney here.

20 hours ago, Chapala Drone said:

Thanks for the validation Chapala Drone.  I appreciate it.

There is more than one way to become Permanente.  I got all my info from Immigration and Spencer.  I do not guess and do not pass on what "I think is right".  It's not helpful to anyone.

1. You can go to a Consulate as stated above and go the Permanente route that way regardless of your spouse's status. 

2. You can go through your spouse "Cambio de Condicion a Residente Temporal por Unidad Familar" in which case you can only get Temporal and no income requirements are needed.  You can do this right here in Chapala. No need to leave Mexico.  I have typed list of what is needed for this method directly from Immigration.  If you want to go that route, I suggest, you get a print out.

3. After you have your Temporal, IF you have the qualifying income, you can then apply for Permanente without waiting and can do so in Chapala.

It's a matter of your preference as to which route you wish to take. 

20 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

You all applied as a family at one time NOB. That is not the case for the OP where she could apply inside of Mexico without producing financials.

The OP was not asking to stay inside Mexico. " I had understood that I could make the application from the Mexican Consulate in Toronto". Thus your information was incorrect for the OP. But the OP does have the option of doing it that way.

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 12:41 PM, Arjay said:

(1)  My husband has had his Permanente for about 2 years.

(2)  I come into Mexico on a Visitors' Visa and now wish to apply for my Permanente.  I had understood that I could make the application from the Mexican Consulate in Toronto, and when I receive the paperwork bring it back to Ajijic and submit the application within 30 days.

(3)  I have subsequently read that I must have a Temporale for 2 years before applying for a Permanente, because my husband already has his Permanente.

Can somebody please clarify this for me or know if there's any way around this to shorten the process.  Otherwise it sounds as if I won't be able to get it for 3 years and I'm concerned in the event we need to sell our home, which is in both our names.

Any accurate help would be most appreciated.  Thank  you.

This is interesting. I did not know that you have to have same status when selling or buying  a house.

We are coming on visitors visa and although I know we can purchase a house as visitors I had no idea that when selling it the immigration status of both owners must be the same. People explaining  here how to obtain the a "permanente"  but do you need it?   There are people married to Mexican nationals. How are they  able to sell their house (in case that they have the joined title)?

I am outdated on the subject...rules change rapidly and not all make sense.

Oh we have another general on here...  To ask Spenser's advice on here is rude, crass,,  and CHEAP.  Spenser helps members on this forum enough and should be asked to give free LEAGAL advice..if he gives it freely then that's a different matter....  

2 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

Oh we have another general on here...  To ask Spenser's advice on here is rude, crass,,  and CHEAP.  Spenser helps members on this forum enough and should be asked to give free LEAGAL advice..if he gives it freely then that's a different matter....  

I never told them to ask Spencer to give them free advice!  But, given all the varying opinions on here, I still think that they should contact Spencer and get proper current legal information.  I agree that he should be paid for his time.  I used him when I first moved down, going from temporal to permanente.  Best money I ever spent!

4 hours ago, Islander said:

This is interesting. I did not know that you have to have same status when selling or buying  a house.

We are coming on visitors visa and although I know we can purchase a house as visitors I had no idea that when selling it the immigration status of both owners must be the same. People explaining  here how to obtain the a "permanente"  but do you need it?   There are people married to Mexican nationals. How are they  able to sell their house (in case that they have the joined title)?

I am outdated on the subject...rules change rapidly and not all make sense.

Just went through a closing today ( we were sellers) buyers are required to have Curps and RFC # now. Telmex wants the same when transferring a phone line. 

On 4/9/2018 at 2:56 PM, pappysmarket said:

Suggest you contact a professional such as an attorney familiar with Immigration law rather than depending on a chat board for legal advice. I'm sure the cost would be worth the peace of mind of knowing you got the accurate advice you seek.

On the other hand if you're just looking for amateur opinions.........

Yes to the poster about getting legal and correct advise....don't trust any web board...there is so much mis-information out there...and I have friends suffering from that..Re: car legalities.    Then there is the gossip or those who will argue and make useless comments....

15 hours ago, zerbit said:

Just went through a closing today ( we were sellers) buyers are required to have Curps and RFC # now. Telmex wants the same when transferring a phone line. 

This is correct...we have them all...until the next change......

19 hours ago, suegarn said:

I never told them to ask Spencer to give them free advice!  But, given all the varying opinions on here, I still think that they should contact Spencer and get proper current legal information.  I agree that he should be paid for his time.  I used him when I first moved down, going from temporal to permanente.  Best money I ever spent!

Us too....Spenser did it all and in a timely manner...and he should never ever be asked to give it free.....if a serious issue, go to his office with an appt....           He does cover many issues here, but that's by choice..HIS choice..... 

Archived