Chapala.com Webboard

Hoping someone can recommend a doctor locally who has successfully treated osteoarthritis of the knee.  It sounds a lot better than knee replacement!   Thanks in advance, from my aching knee !

Edited by Terri Davenport
Put headline in Bold

46 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

There is a female doctor in West Ajijic, near Dental Express, that I believe does this for around 2500 pesos per injection. Sorry, I do not have more specific info for you.

Do you have any info as to its long term success? (or is she putting in Cortisone)      

Not to stick my nose into your business and to assume that you will/have not already done this, but.....

All stem cell ‘treatments’ are not alike and all are not being done by people using the same procedures and the same equipment and the same training. So when one sees that (just an example) your local cosmetologist or maybe chiropractor is now doing stem cell treatments, be aware that you will not get the same results as you might/should if it were done by a truly qualified clinition. 

So to that end I’d be asking not only “who” might be doing it but also “how” and what “equipment” they are using to: 1) harvest the stem cells [and from where], 2) concentrate and enhance the stem cells harvested and 3) inject it into the precise spot where it can actually do some good.

Without all this knowledge one might just as well use botox and count on the plecobo affect to cure one’s problem.  :(

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Her name is Dra. Justina Jimenez 766-5563.  Dra. Justina used the stem cells on herself first for 7 months.  They greatly improved her life.  Call and make and appointment and go discuss this treatment with her.  If your condition is more than she can handle she will refer you to the doctor who owns the lab where the stem cells are grown.  These are a specific type of stem cells and I don't know if they are what you are looking for ... they are harvested from the placenta of young mothers ages 19 to 25 who have been tested for various diseases.  These young women have certain criteria that  they adhere to while pregnant and they have to have a cesarean birth because a natural birth poses to much of a risk of contamination of the stem cells.  It is certainly something worth exploring as it takes very little time and money to do so.  Dra. Justina speaks excellent English and she can also refer you to other types of treatments and doctors if you wish.  She and her staff have helped me in so many ways in the last 13 years ... from therapy after surgery to therapy to keep me from having surgery. 

I had the PRP injections done in my left knee in Guadalajara a year ago.  The doctor draws blood, then separates the plasma from the blood and injects the plasma into the knee.  The doctor told me it would last 9-12 months  which it did, actually 12 months.  The cost was 2500 pesos for 2 injections.  I should have had three but had to return to Canada before I had the third.  The doctor told me of the placenta injections they would be using in the future which were supposed to last a lifetime and no surgery would be necessary.   If Dr. Justina does this procedure in Ajijic I would definitely give it a try.  Good luck.

Your Post reveals that you do know that there is a difference.

My take is that the OP has knee pain and is looking for relief in “today’s” treatment world. She did specifically say ‘stem cell therapy’ but this is probably (as is common) a catch-all phrase to encompass some or all the procedures you mentioned. 

IMO, the best recommendation given here was from Wookie....  “Call and make an appointment and go discuss this treatment with her”.

I had a snow bird here who tried Stem Cell on his knee, and it made the knee considerably worse.  He had to go to another doctor to take out some of the stem cell stuff, because his knee was considerably worse.   reply to me and I can give you his email address, and perhaps you can email him and ask him about what the stem cell did for him.

I have discussed the option of treatment with Dr Aceves.  X-rays revealed degenerated cartilage but no fractures. Blood and fat would be drawn in his office then sent to a Guadalajara lab to become Mesenchimal stem cells.  These would then be injected into the specific areas required. Sometimes one treatment will work, sometimes  2 or 3 are needed.  I need to confirm with him how long they would last.    I thought it would be a permanent fix - if the stem cells took. He said his success rate is 80%  and that mine would be higher because of less degeneration and no pits or fractures.  Any comments welcome.  It’s frightening to think my knee might be made worse, as in post above.

I am wondering if mesenchimal stem cells introduced into the blood stream through means of an IV would be sufficient.  The stem cells that Dra. Justina is using are mesenchimal stem cells harvested from placenta.  I am aware that this procedure is being done in this manner and helping the whole body by the cells addressing all the problem areas and not just localized.  I am not an expert on this by any means :)  When we considered this procedure we did as much research as we could and then talked to a couple of doctors.  We will report the outcome of this more generalized treatment as time goes by.  We should know in a couple of months just how effective it is for our purposes.  My husband has had 1 infusion of 50 million mesenchimal stem cells and will receive the same once a week for the next 2 weeks.  We are told it will take 2 to 3 months to improve acute lymphopenia and a badly damaged immune system.  At any rate, this will be a proveable situation through blood studies.  He has had no adverse reactions whatsoever so far.  It is our understanding not only from our doctor but from research we read on the National Institute of Health's website that these type of stem cells have little or no side effects.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Mr doctor NOB said that the best treatment for knee pain was utilizing a bathroom scale.

Your Dr got that right -every lb you are over your ideal body weight puts an extra 6 lbs more weight on your knees. 3 lbs per knee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Dr. Jessica in Ajijic does a GREAT job on the PRP.  Both my wife and I had it done with excellent success.  1st time for me and 2nd time for my wife.  After the 1st injection, she actually had some cartilage re-growth.  My pain in the knee has subsided and I hope to have the same results.

On 4/11/2018 at 5:29 PM, Wookie said:

Once again, I strenuously object to Dr. Santiago being able to advertise his services on this webboard.

If the reply directly answers the question asked by the original poster, why should it matter who responds?  It could be a person who has used the services asked about or someone who offers those services. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

To have a doctor as qualified as Dr. Santiago answer so many questions and offer so many medical opinions is of great value.  Why would anyone object?  Thanks Dr. Santiago for your help.  And, I do not use Dr. Santiago services but do appreciate his dedication.  Wookie, do you feel the same when Spencer McMillan posts??  Just wondering!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/10/2018 at 9:21 PM, Terri Davenport said:

I have discussed the option of treatment with Dr Aceves.  X-rays revealed degenerated cartilage but no fractures. Blood and fat would be drawn in his office then sent to a Guadalajara lab to become Mesenchimal stem cells.  These would then be injected into the specific areas required. Sometimes one treatment will work, sometimes  2 or 3 are needed.  I need to confirm with him how long they would last.    I thought it would be a permanent fix - if the stem cells took. He said his success rate is 80%  and that mine would be higher because of less degeneration and no pits or fractures.  Any comments welcome.  It’s frightening to think my knee might be made worse, as in post above.

Having known Dr.Aceves for 30+ years I would trust his judgement, he was originally a GP -Microbiologist, years ago he got interested in new techniques such as Stem-Cell. I trust Dr.Aceves, he is a good man and doctor.