Chapala.com Webboard

swimming in Lake Chapala

17 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Cedros, you don't have to be a degree graduate in a topic to be an expert. Just look at some of the people here who never graduated clown school, yet are still great at the job.

I was kicked out.

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Cedros, you don't have to be a degree graduate in a topic to be an expert. Just look at some of the people here who never graduated clown school, yet are still great at the job.

For someone who's still taking classes , you're doing rather well computergoy.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 2018-03-21 at 8:50 AM, ned small said:

No mystery. He and many other scientists and scientific organizations have done a lot of research over the years. Many people swim in it and not just Mexicans. i believe a couple of pictures are worth more than your constant negative words every time a lake topic comes up. Have a nice time swimming in your Raquette Club pool,cedros, but why don't you have it checked sometime for the urine to water ratio.

swimming oct 31,chapala beach.jpg

swim t-shirt 031.jpg

Urine is actually sterile, can't make you sick, unlike Ecoli.

On 3/21/2018 at 7:50 PM, ComputerGuy said:

True and you often don't need a degree to know when someone is making things up.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Read everything here and I'm still ready to go for a swim!  Anyone else up for it, please contact me.  Maybe take a boat to the middle of the lake?  Many kids swim next to the pier in Ajijic.  I'm 70 and am not too worried about developing kidney disease at this point.  I've swum open water for years in La Jolla Cove, California, which has got to be pretty polluted despite being a marine park.  Oh, and the reason people want to swim in the lake is for the adventure of open water swimming.  The views of the land are amazing and you don't have to do turns.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Beebee said:

Read everything here and I'm still ready to go for a swim!  Anyone else up for it, please contact me.  Maybe take a boat to the middle of the lake?  Many kids swim next to the pier in Ajijic.  I'm 70 and am not too worried about developing kidney disease at this point.  I've swum open water for years in La Jolla Cove, California, which has got to be pretty polluted despite being a marine park.  Oh, and the reason people want to swim in the lake is for the adventure of open water swimming.  The views of the land are amazing and you don't have to do turns.  

You are exceedingly  intelligent to disregard all the naysayers.

• 1 year later...
On 3/20/2018 at 11:46 PM, traderspoc said:

its safe people were swimming in Ajijic  next the malecon in front old posada.

Also fisherman are near the shore waste deep casting their nets,

water is cleaner then the east cost of the united states.

Tod stong drinks the water every year  in front of a crowd of 200 people with a little chlorine in it.

Sure, but i can drink the water from the Ganges with chlorine and it doesn’t kill me. But chlorine doesn’t take care of heavy metals. 

5 hours ago, AdamG said:

Sure, but i can drink the water from the Ganges with chlorine and it doesn’t kill me. But chlorine doesn’t take care of heavy metals. 

Relax, Adam. The topic is swimming in Lake Chapala. No one is advising you to drink lake water. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/21/2018 at 7:50 AM, ned small said:

No mystery. He and many other scientists and scientific organizations have done a lot of research over the years. Many people swim in it and not just Mexicans. i believe a couple of pictures are worth more than your constant negative words every time a lake topic comes up. Have a nice time swimming in your Raquette Club pool,cedros, but why don't you have it checked sometime for the urine to water ratio.

swim t-shirt 031.jpg

You are wrong. Stong has done a lot of work on the lake but I have never seen or heard of any proper research he has done on the lake. Urine to water ratio is not very relevant in a pool. I went to one of Stong's lectures once and thought that he would get booed off the stage if he tried to give the same speech at a place of higher learning.

• Sad 1

Here's a picture of kayak club first kids kayaking day on 2011, started with 14 to 18 years taking lessons for about  for about 20 minutes, they learned quick, then the 10 to 13 years old,

went, well, then we did the 6 to 9 years, there attention span was about 6 minutes, then they wanted to see how many kids could fit in  a kayak, this their fun day playing at the beach.

first kids kayaking day 2011.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This question is for Ficklepie. Could you explain what you mean that the lake is radioactive? I'm looking for some studies cause the crazy deniers on Facebook are freaking out with that mention. Of Course they won't be able to understand any scientific studies and they will continue to deny the reality. I don't think I could move to Chapala, number one for the water quality and two for the people. Thanks for your response several years later.

On another topic, if Lake Chapala was radioactive or nearly as polluted as Ficklepie suggests I seriously doubt that amphibians could survive in it for long since they are so susceptible to pollutants.  Every night on the Chapala malecón bull frogs can be heard croaking in the shallow water.  Years ago when the lake nearly dried up many studies were done, with much less water the pollutants were recorded in much more concentrated numbers.  Now with the lake full again, the pollutants are less concentrated.  The wildlife is testimony that it isn't as toxic as other places.  The lake is full of fish, all types of healthy looking waterfowl, snakes and frogs.  They appear to be surviving well. Snakes as in the famous Chapala black water snake that swims with the fishes.  I can't remember its true name off hand.

• Thanks 3

I have made many posts on how good this lake is including for swimming which I have done, Radioactive my backside!-SNORK! As well as my actual experience there are many scientific studies that contradict the goofs that keep throwing BS out about this lake,mostly ferners who know nadda.

chapala, cruz roja polar bear swim.jpg

chapala bass 2.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/21/2018 at 7:22 AM, ficklepie said:

The lake is filthy dirty. That's a fancy trick that Todd Stong does every year, but to what end? He's trying to prove that the lake isn't polluted... when it is? Forget about the lake itself -- its pollution travels from the water, through the air and to the towns along the lake.

(Read this for more info about that: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mexico-health-village/murky-business-a-hunt-for-answers-as-children-fall-sick-around-mexico-lake-idUSKBN1DY11E)

The lake is polluted with heavy metals. Tests confirm this -- just go to Mezcala and check out the huge banner they've posted on the quiósco about this. UNESCO or some similar organization was involved.

Certainly trust them much more than some guy named Todd Stong who EVERYONE always brings up whenever lake pollution is mentioned.

Compared to even 10 years ago, the lake is filthier than ever -- much filthier than the East Coast of the United States. But compared to 50 years ago, the lake is a radioactive nightmare. Anyone who has been here that long will tell you the lake used to be crystal clear.

But, if you don't mind a little kidney disease, go for a swim. A little town not too far from Ajijic has the second-highest kidney disease rate in the world.

https://www.google.com.mx/search?ei=o1iyWoWfAfHn5gKLkJhQ&q=kidney+disease+lake+chapala&oq=kidney+disease+lake+chapala&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i21k1j33i160k1l2.5878.13061.0.13213.27.22.0.0.0.0.286.2572.0j12j3.15.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..12.14.2424...0j35i39k1j0i203k1j33i22i29i30k1.0.MF0DtHYUEAY

It is a fancy trick.

1 hour ago, dichosalocura said:

On another topic, if Lake Chapala was radioactive or nearly as polluted as Ficklepie suggests I seriously doubt that amphibians could survive in it for long since they are so susceptible to pollutants.  Every night on the Chapala malecón bull frogs can be heard croaking in the shallow water.  Years ago when the lake nearly dried up many studies were done, with much less water the pollutants were recorded in much more concentrated numbers.  Now with the lake full again, the pollutants are less concentrated.  The wildlife is testimony that it isn't as toxic as other places.  The lake is full of fish, all types of healthy looking waterfowl, snakes and frogs.  They appear to be surviving well.

The lake is not full again-it is quite low.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2018 at 11:54 AM, Mainecoons said:

The one on the bottom is but the one on the top is not atypical during the warmer weather.  The Mexicans do swim in the lake.  Judging from the bottom picture the gringos must take strong drink in with them.

Not that long ago this was published:

https://www.worldcrunch.com/food-travel/to-kill-a-river-how-mexico39s-santiago-was-polluted-beyond-repair

This river is the principal tributary to Lake Chapala.  I think I'll let y'all swim in it.  :)

The principal tributary of the river is the Lerma. It is polluted with agicultural chemicals and waste.The Santiago river drains the lake some years.  It is very polluted downstream from pollution near the arirport. Clouds of foam floating above the river.

• Like 1