Chapala.com Webboard

swimming in Lake Chapala

As one that has kayaked and now rows on the lake I can state for a fact the lake is usually surprisingly warm. I could be wrong but I surmise that the depth of the lake has a lot to do with that. It's not a particularly deep lake.

This thread really has run the gamut, hasn't it? From someone asking if it is safe to swim, to personal knocks against Dr. Stong, to complaints about how disgusting it is. I refer to you numerous studies of The Great Lakes that border Canada and the U.S, that have been published for decades, even declaring Lake Erie "dead" at one point. And those are two countries with almost unlimited resources and funding to fix that kind of problem. Maybe ease up a tad.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bdmowers said:

...At the end of his talk he then takes water from the bottom of the container, the sand having thoroughly filtered the water.  There are towns to the east of Mezcala that use this method for their communal drinking water.

A sand filter no matter the size will only filter the particles larger than bacteria or viruses, they pass through along with dissolved heavy metals. It may be pretty, but maybe not so safe to drink.

3 hours ago, dcstroker said:

As one that has kayaked and now rows on the lake I can state for a fact the lake is usually surprisingly warm. I could be wrong but I surmise that the depth of the lake has a lot to do with that. It's not a particularly deep lake.

The average temperature of the lake from many, many readings is 20° That is not warm for most people.

9 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I'm not surprised, but kind of amazed, when people castigate experts on a given topic simply because they are mentioned frequently. Talk about reverse logic. Dr. Stong has been researching this lake and assisting Mexican officials for years before your name ever came up. Probably knows more about this lake than everything I ever learned in my entire lifetime.

He has also restored the business lives of untold numbers of fishermen by debunking the mercury issue. I suggest you read this latest report before firing off your blanks. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwibw8eczv3ZAhUDXq0KHXlGAogQFggpMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.focusonmexico.com%2F%3Fdownload_id%3Da6e1ba29b2755968a99f22e39766641a&usg=AOvVaw3e8BYsTB2hejrivfkRblHZ

I think Dr. Stongs findings are flawed. Who says he is an expert? He is not a Limnologist but an engineer.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, ibbocat said:

From his talks he only takes samples others (labs) test them.

Yes. Who interprets the results?

I was looking at some property in San Juan some years back on their water front street (properties on lake side of street were lake front lots).  I notice a manhole cover open and raw stinking sewage with all the disgusting chunks of fecal matter and paper that one might imagine, gushing at a considerable volume and pressure, streaming down one of the side alleys directly into the lake.  That answered the swimming question for me!

pm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, bdmowers said:

Interesting, but Master Stong lives and breathes still as do the people in the towns with the sand filters.  Life versus facts.  Life always wins.

Maybe there was no bacteria or viruses in the water. Life that wins may be short lived too.

4 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

A sand filter no matter the size will only filter the particles larger than bacteria or viruses, they pass through along with dissolved heavy metals. It may be pretty, but maybe not so safe to drink.

This is correct.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gypsyken said:

Many thanks to everyone for the stimulating exchange.  The reason I prefer to swim in lakes is simply that I do not like swimming in pools.  But as I forgot to bring my aqua shoes, I guess I'll forego Lago de Chapala.

After all of that, he FORGOT his aqua shoes. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

3 minutes ago, Tiny said:

After all of that, he FORGOT his aqua shoes.

I would give him mine if I could watch him swim in the lake. How about my mask and fins too?

17 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Cedros, you don't have to be a degree graduate in a topic to be an expert. Just look at some of the people here who never graduated clown school, yet are still great at the job.

Dilly Dilly