Chapala.com Webboard

THUN financial

idocdan

Never heard of them. In my 30 years with major US financial firms, all of the cases of fraud or misappropriation of client assets occurs at solo practices that are outside of mainstream client protections.

elisabeth-

I will need to move my acct to schwab, but not sure i want to pay their fees for managing.  I know little about it, but as you say, ETFs are what is used instead of mutual funds.  They are low cost, but I would have no idea what to invest in.  What guides you?

They give me advice at no charge, and I do not pay them tomanage my investments ( they charge if they actively manage a portfolio, i.e. stocks instead of mutual funds or ETFs). I am maintaining a US address for the present, and the issue of buying ETFs won't arise until I want to change investments ( I can maintain the investments I already have). For info on ETFs you might see if Morningstar or one if the money magazines rates them.But as I said, whenever I have wanted advice on mutual funds I just call and talk to someone. If you call to tell them you want to set up an account, I imagine they will give you some advice to get started. But it's vworth researching on your own too unless you want to pay them to manage.

That looks to be reasonable.  I'm in mutual funds for the most part.  I will be putting in more cash after my US home sells, and can invest that in another mutual before I tell them I'm SOB, or may take a look at ETFs with some advice.  I guess active management isn't needed at the moment--just let the mutuals ride.  Thanks, elisabeth.

Archived