Chapala.com Webboard

Social Security US

I don't recall receiving this. I did get a mailing early in Jan with new 2018 amounts. I would suggest going onto their site and looking up the forms.

Yes, it is quick and easy if you can get them to change your address in order to receive the form they are mailing to you.  We are not allowed to change our address on line; not allowed to use the Laredo mailing address service; not allowed to seek help from SS office in the States and not allowed to go directly to the office here in Guadalajara without an appointment; that appointment has to be made online and when we tried to secure an appointment it wasn't working.  We called 5 years a row to change our address and were told each time that it had now been changed (it never was) ... We wrote in red on the forms our new address and notes to please change our address so we could receive the form.  So, this year when we had bad health issues and had forgotten about this form and at the exact time that we were truly in need of our checks... they suspended our benefits ... both of us.  So, you see, it isn't always so easy to comply.  Sorry for the rant.

Instructions for downloading, completing and submitting the form. I think DHL or Fedex would be the quickest and most reliable way to send it to SSA. I have also read that the form can be submitted by fax but some folks have said that didn't work for them.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms/images/SSA7/G-SSA-7162-OCR-SM-1.pdf

https://nanlevin.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/g-ssa-7162-inst-1.pdf

https://cl.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security-2/form7162-2/

If you read the downloadable form, right at the top it says to fill out and send back in the enclosed envelope.  There's, of course, no enclosed envelope and no address listed to send it to.  We did finally get to the office in Guadalajara by email.  They gave us an email address to send the scanned form to.  All this took 3 days of back and forth ... Then about 10 days more to receive the first check and another week for the second one.

7 hours ago, Wookie said:

Yes, it is quick and easy if you can get them to change your address in order to receive the form they are mailing to you.  We are not allowed to change our address on line;

I did it via email with the consulate in Guad last year. I have since received forms to my address, so I know it was done. It also appears on "My Social Security" account at ssa.gov.

On 3/15/2018 at 3:25 PM, Wookie said:

If you have a Mexico address and do not file this form each year they definitely cut your check off.

My experience (in Canada) has been different.    About every 4 years, SS sends me the form, I sign it and mail it back.   I have not had any disruption in SS cheques.     With your warning, perhaps, I should be more pro active and mail in the form each year.     Any feed back ?  

16 hours ago, Wookie said:

Yes, it is quick and easy if you can get them to change your address in order to receive the form they are mailing to you.  We are not allowed to change our address on line; not allowed to use the Laredo mailing address service; not allowed to seek help from SS office in the States and not allowed to go directly to the office here in Guadalajara without an appointment; that appointment has to be made online and when we tried to secure an appointment it wasn't working.  We called 5 years a row to change our address and were told each time that it had now been changed (it never was) ... We wrote in red on the forms our new address and notes to please change our address so we could receive the form.  So, this year when we had bad health issues and had forgotten about this form and at the exact time that we were truly in need of our checks... they suspended our benefits ... both of us.  So, you see, it isn't always so easy to comply.  Sorry for the rant.

Isn't it great that we have government OF THE PEOPLE for the PEOPLE.  It is evident that the whole thing is so out of wack and we are now accountable to them instead of them to us!

29 minutes ago, Zeb said:

Isn't it great that we have government OF THE PEOPLE for the PEOPLE.  It is evident that the whole thing is so out of wack and we are now accountable to them instead of them to us!

You can ignore them and not draw your pension. You could also move to a Libertarian Paradise.

On 3/14/2018 at 4:31 PM, Ellie said:

You only receive this form if SSA has a Mexico address on file. If you signed up for SS in the states or used a US address, it's not a problem.

I wonder if is part of SSA's effort to crack down on the huge misuse of the US SSA. 

4 minutes ago, Tiny said:

I wonder if is part of SSA's effort to crack down on the huge misuse of the US SSA. 

No, it's to verify if you are still alive. In the US, all deaths are reported to the SSA, outside it is not.

2 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

No, it's to verify if you are still alive. In the US, all deaths are reported to the SSA, outside it is not.

So they will never know that I am dead and my better half will get my benefits forever. 

I have never got that form.  I know that the address on file is my Mexican address because I receive mail from them.  The key is a filed for SSA in the US.  What possible misuse of the system?

Bud Light for everyone.  Dilly Dilly

1 hour ago, Tiny said:

So they will never know that I am dead and my better half will get my benefits forever. 

I have never got that form.  I know that the address on file is my Mexican address because I receive mail from them.  The key is a filed for SSA in the US.  What possible misuse of the system?

Bud Light for everyone.  Dilly Dilly

You will know if SS sent the letter and didn't get a response because you won't receive a check until SS gets the information. Maybe someone is already receiving the letter, filling it out and mailing it back. The funeral home sends Death Certificates to the consulate so they should know when you die but the survivors can tell the funeral home not to do it. I know a widow who send the Death Certificate so that she could continue to receive the dead husband's pension. Not good for her when the state finds out.

1 hour ago, Joco said:

You will know if SS sent the letter and didn't get a response because you won't receive a check until SS gets the information. Maybe someone is already receiving the letter, filling it out and mailing it back. The funeral home sends Death Certificates to the consulate so they should know when you die but the survivors can tell the funeral home not to do it. I know a widow who send the Death Certificate so that she could continue to receive the dead husband's pension. Not good for her when the state finds out.

Who needs a funeral home?  If you see a big fire, you will know what is going on.

On 3/18/2018 at 11:41 PM, Wookie said:

If you read the downloadable form, right at the top it says to fill out and send back in the enclosed envelope.  There's, of course, no enclosed envelope and no address listed to send it to.  We did finally get to the office in Guadalajara by email.  They gave us an email address to send the scanned form to.  All this took 3 days of back and forth ... Then about 10 days more to receive the first check and another week for the second one.

Oh heavenly day!  You have the email address for sending the scan!  Brilliant!  Would you care to share it??

8 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Just so everyone knows: the Urban Dictionary defines "Dilly dilly" as: A word that shows "approval" of an action. It also can be used as a sort of cheer. Always used in response to a sentence spoke by another first.

Not really a HaHa.

Thank you for correcting me. 

On 3/18/2018 at 11:11 PM, REC said:

Instructions for downloading, completing and submitting the form. I think DHL or Fedex would be the quickest and most reliable way to send it to SSA. I have also read that the form can be submitted by fax but some folks have said that didn't work for them.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms/images/SSA7/G-SSA-7162-OCR-SM-1.pdf

https://nanlevin.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/g-ssa-7162-inst-1.pdf

https://cl.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security-2/form7162-2/

The last link talks (if I read it correctly) about the form being required every other year, based on the last digit of your SS number. That link is for Chile but I think it would be true here.

Archived