Chapala.com Webboard

JOINT MEXICAN BANK ACCOUNT PROBLEM

I have tried to open a joint Mexican bank account at Bancomer with my Mexican spouse. They said that I could be on the account as someone who could get the money if something happened to my spouse but they could not give us a joint account. I was astounded. I pointed out that my teacher's pension would not transfer money into an account that did not have my name on it. Their solution? Open a separate account in my name. I told them that that makes no sense to me because I have my SS and pensions transferred to my U.S. bank now. When I asked why this could not be done she actually replied that this is Mexico. I am not disoriented and I have lived here 6 years so I know where I am. 

Does anyone know of a traditional Mexican bank that does allow joint bank accounts (both names) in the Lakeside area? Like my Mexican friends say; you can't give people in business here your money. They make the rules so difficult that you just give up. Maybe they are right.

My friend had to go to another Mexican State when his mom died in January and he wanted to pay her outstanding CFE bill and take over her account. They refused his money even when seeing her death certificate because the will still is in process of being accepted (it was made and certified 3 years before her death and named him as her only heir and he showed them a copy of it). Meanwhile the bill continues to run up because they won't take the money for payment. I was with him and just had to ask the clerk who cared who paid  the bill as long as CFE got their money. No answer. The bill still hasn't been paid because " the powers that be" in that city and State still aren't done with a very straight forward will! Astounding business model. At one point my friend turned to me and said; "its Mexico." I said ; "Yes. I see that you can't give them your money!"

Any way back to my question of applying and getting a joint bank account in the Lakeside area. You know; someone who WILL take our money.

We also have a joint account in HSBC (across from Walmart). Must admit at one time it was in my name only, but there was no problem in making it joint at a later time.

NOT my favorite bank, but serves the purpose.

Worth noting:  you can designate another person to be the "beneficiary". Their ID and other info will be required to do this, but the good thing is if you  both die (accident, etc) , this person can access the funds, death certificate in hand, to cover immediate costs as needed.

We bank at bancomer and both our names are on the account but I am the primary holder so it is not like you call a joint account in the States but it works.. We also have an account at Banamex where my husband is the primary holder  and I am the secondary.. 

mu;ltiva is the best bank in town,  when a few years ago other banks would not cash US checks, multiva had no problems.

they speak English and can solve anything, and really care about you and want your business

they must be number 2 in banking  they try harder.  They have 2 teller, can get money out at any tine with proper ID

i cancelled my account at intercam, they do not allow withdrawal in the afternoon, and were difficult to work.

• Like 2

Whoever you talked to at your banks is right. 

You cannot have more than one name in the account. This is what shows up on bank statements and what you use to do wire transfers. 

You can however add a second person to give him the power of attorney to make transactions for you. Their name only shows up in a bank contract but not in any statements. They can also go in the branch and whithdraw cash and complete wires without the primary account holder being there  .

The easiest solution would be to open an account with your name on it.

Source:  have three bank accounts in Mexico. All operate the same. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, 

we're selling our house in Mexico. I have given my Husband power of attorney to complete the sale. The house is only in my name, how can I have the money deposited in my name and then (i'm leaving MX before the sale is complete) my husband go to the bank and wire the money to his USA bank account? As the beneficiary on the account, can my husband go into the bank and request a wire transfer to his bank in the states? I was thinking of opening up the account at Santander, what do you think? any suggestions are well appreciated! 

I think it would have to be a joint account, in order for him to do a transfer. 

Perhaps it would be better to have the buyer's money transferred directly to your account, in the USA, at the time of closing.  I once closed on a property, for a friend in the USA, and that is what was done; the money went straight to him, I confirmed that he had it, then signed with the Power of Attorney that I held for just that purpose.

My husband and I have had a joint account at Actinver in Ajijic for years. Recently we added a niece living in the States to the joint account with no problems. This is better than making her a beneficiary, as she has immediate access to the funds if need be and avoids the complications of an inheritance. My husband and I have another joint account in USAA bank in the US to receive our SS checks. All this works exactly as we want it to.

Lexy

On 3/15/2018 at 12:39 PM, Crazydog said:

Whoever you talked to at your banks is right. 

You cannot have more than one name in the account. This is what shows up on bank statements and what you use to do wire transfers. 

You can however add a second person to give him the power of attorney to make transactions for you. Their name only shows up in a bank contract but not in any statements. They can also go in the branch and whithdraw cash and complete wires without the primary account holder being there  .

The easiest solution would be to open an account with your name on it.

Source:  have three bank accounts in Mexico. All operate the same. 

I am on a checking account a Bancomer with 4 names 

On 3/12/2018 at 5:20 PM, Monessen said:

I have tried to open a joint Mexican bank account at Bancomer with my Mexican spouse. They said that I could be on the account as someone who could get the money if something happened to my spouse but they could not give us a joint account. I was astounded. I pointed out that my teacher's pension would not transfer money into an account that did not have my name on it. Their solution? Open a separate account in my name. I told them that that makes no sense to me because I have my SS and pensions transferred to my U.S. bank now. When I asked why this could not be done she actually replied that this is Mexico. I am not disoriented and I have lived here 6 years so I know where I am. 

Does anyone know of a traditional Mexican bank that does allow joint bank accounts (both names) in the Lakeside area? Like my Mexican friends say; you can't give people in business here your money. They make the rules so difficult that you just give up. Maybe they are right.

My friend had to go to another Mexican State when his mom died in January and he wanted to pay her outstanding CFE bill and take over her account. They refused his money even when seeing her death certificate because the will still is in process of being accepted (it was made and certified 3 years before her death and named him as her only heir and he showed them a copy of it). Meanwhile the bill continues to run up because they won't take the money for payment. I was with him and just had to ask the clerk who cared who paid  the bill as long as CFE got their money. No answer. The bill still hasn't been paid because " the powers that be" in that city and State still aren't done with a very straight forward will! Astounding business model. At one point my friend turned to me and said; "its Mexico." I said ; "Yes. I see that you can't give them your money!"

Any way back to my question of applying and getting a joint bank account in the Lakeside area. You know; someone who WILL take our money.

Others have addressed your interest in having a "joint account" at Bancomer.  As far as I know, there can only be one titular (owner of the account) but you can have other names listed on the account as users.  At one time I was the titular on a Bancomer account and my wife was a second user.

Regarding your CFE situation, the easiest thing to do is download the CFE app on your cel phone and pay your bill on the app.  I pay the CFE bill that comes in my landlord's name; CFE doesn't care who pays, as long as someone does.  The app is very user-friendly and takes literally a minute to pay.  Once you have it installed on your cel phone, you use your cel phone to scan the bar code on the bill, the account pops right up with the amount due, you pay it with your Mexican bank account, and done.  You immediately receive a confirmation email showing that the bill is paid.  I also use Bancomer and up until now, have had no problems with CFE accepting the payment.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bill_d said:

The reason is your wife is a Mexican citizen. 

Doubtful.  I am a Mexican citizen and was the titular on an account with my wife, who was a foreigner when I asked Bancomer to add her to the account.  

7 hours ago, More Liana said:

Doubtful.  I am a Mexican citizen and was the titular on an account with my wife, who was a foreigner when I asked Bancomer to add her to the account.  

Sorry, but it is not doubtful. Amerkkka must keep track of dollars going into a foreigner's account.