Chapala.com Webboard

Induction Range

amckean

We currently have a propane range in our kitchen. It's a bar-bones range... no broiler, doesn't get very hot. I am considering replacing it with an Bosch induction range like the one we have in the states. Does anyone have experience with using electricity to cook with? Is it much more expensive than using propane? It would be a project because we would have to have a 40 amp 220 v circuit put in behind the range.

Neither electricity (if you go into the DAC rate) nor propane is what most would consider cheap in Mexico. We all have to pick our poison. If you like an induction range and can afford the installation and electric bills go for it.

I'd say go for it. I am planning to convert to induction just as soon as my solar panels install.   Will be nice to get away from propane. If you go to Ecuador you can buy them cheap.  There the whole country is converting. 

I just ordered this little gem yesterday.

https://www.fisherpaykel.com/us/kitchen/cooking-appliances/cooktops/36-5-zone-touchslide-induction-cooktop.CI365DTB2.html

I have solar panels so the little bit of electricity is actually going to be cheaper than my existing gas stove.

I will unfortunately be unloading about 20 pieces of Paderno stainless steel cookware that ain't magnetic.

SunFan

• 3 months later...

I based the 40 amp requirement on the fact that my Bosch induction range in the US requires it. It's a four-burner range and I love it. And yes, I had to buy another set of All-Clad cookware because my first set was not magnetic. tkessler: Can you ship a range in from Ecuador brand new? It is my understanding that, at least from the US, you have to be able to show that you have owned major appliances for six months.

You will use a lot of expensive electricity. I have only seen one electric stove here. The house renters had to move out as their CFE bill was so high. Propane is quite cheap in comparison.

Amckean,

The average gas cooking session uses about 0.2 kg of LP Gas, in MX  running about 20 MXN/Kg.    You´re talking 4 MXN.

The same  session with Induction uses about 0.5 kwh.   My last CFE bill I paid 5 MXN/kw-h or  about 2.5 MXN. 

I just put in solar panels and bought a Nu-Wave single burner on Amazon to play with; cost about $100 USD.    It plugs into a regular wall outlet.  The current limit on a 127V wall connection is 15 amps.  The maximum power you can get is  1750 watts, which is on the low side for induction cooking.   For serious cooking you need 2000-2500 watt burners which is why you need 220 40A service for a good stovetop range. 

There are induction stovetops for sale in Mexico at all price points. The President of Ecuador got upset they were importing so much LP gas and he set up a program to phase out LP appliances, offer incentives for  local manufacturing,  build hydroelectric dams,  and convert homes.  They have some  good deals there, but I don't know how much trouble you'd have bringing one back or whether the savings would be worth it..

http://www.ecuadorcambia.com/

good luck

Tom

We had an electric oven with option of convection installed in our first home here.  Our cook top was propane.  When we moved and installed a propane oven our electricity bill went from $3500 every 2 months to $500 on average (I am talking pesos of course).  It won't matter much if you have solar.

I have an induction cooktop and didn't notice a much higher electrity bill. It is somewhere arround de 800 pesos per 2 months but most of it is because heavy computer use and some older refrigerator.
An induction cooktop use way less electricity then normal electric cooktop as it heats way more efficient and much much faster. I'm pretty sure i spend less money then when i was still using a gas cooktop.

Archived