Chapala.com Webboard

Bad water odor

What kind of odor?  Better to find the cause than treat the symptom.   

Are your neighbours having similar issues?

If yes, then a common source problem

If no, you might want to have both the aljibe and tinaco checked and cleaned....any chance something got in the aljibe, but not out....?   :blink:

As the dry season progresses, wells become less able to produce enough water. It is not unusual for hydrogen sulfide odor to be evident until the rainy season raises the water table again and the aquifers regain their “freshness“.  Since there are many wells serving the area, it may also be a case of having to use a well that is not always on line, while hoping for others to recover.  The odor is harmless, but rather unpleasant.

Yes, definitely experiencing the same thing in our house in San Antonio.  We’ve had this happen a few times over the years, the  tap water can smell very swampy sometimes.  We did put some chlorine pucks in our ajibe but so far we haven’t noticed that it has improved the smell.  

I expect you have some sedimentation filters before water enters your aljibe/tinaco/house

If you have 2 filters, replace the first one with the cleanable/reusable pleated paper filter.

Replace the second with a charcoal filter.

It will remove most odors including the hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg) odor.

• 1 month later...

A major cause of hydrogen sulfide smell in hot water can be relieved by replacing the sacrificial anode rod in the water heater. It is/was there to accomplish the reduction by electrolysis and does erode away after time.

• 1 month later...

If it is a sulfuric smell there is not much you can do. We lived near Calistoga in California and our water smelled of sulfur..nothing could be done.. It is not harmful , actually people paid to get to the baths and mud bath .. but it is not a pleasant smell.Drink bottle water.

We put 2 chlorine pucks in our ajibe every couple of weeks.  The odor is stronger sometimes than others, the hot is worse than the cold but they’re both pretty rancid.   Our filters are full of sediment and our toilet gets dirt in it too the past 2 weeks.  Walking on La Paz near the lake in SAT I can smell the same funky smell so I’m guessing we’re all experiencing it.  I think once the rains really come the smell will improve.

Thanks. I've read that chlorine will hook up with the sulfur gas to make a particulate that the filters may catch. I want to give that a try but I've never chlorinated the aljibe and don't want to overdo it. Now by "Pucks" do you mean the little 1" tablets I use in the fountain?

bmh,  I lived in Calistoga, but the water always smelled liked that. Here it just started smelling like that maybe 4 months ago. I pulled the anode on the heater, not that. Chlorine tabs, did not stop it. I did notice that after the last big rain, that it became less smelly 3,4 days later. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the water table. Possible??

8 hours ago, dennis clark said:

bmh,  I lived in Calistoga, but the water always smelled liked that. Here it just started smelling like that maybe 4 months ago. I pulled the anode on the heater, not that. Chlorine tabs, did not stop it. I did notice that after the last big rain, that it became less smelly 3,4 days later. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the water table. Possible??

Yes

The problem is with the chlorinator that handles SAT water, it is broken. I was told by the SIMPASA?  to add a chlorine tab to the aljibe, 1 a week. However, the tab took too long to break down initially so I poured a quart of chlorine in for starters. Chemical reaction=no more odor. However, now the rains have arrived the water table is higher and no more worries, for now.

Archived