Chapala.com Webboard

TURP prostate surgery with Dr Fabian Garcia Buenrostro????

6 minutes ago, Lexy said:

I found him overly eager to operate the minute my husband walked in the door. Surgery was not called for, it turned out. Maybe he's calmed down a bit.

lexy

Ah, thank you Lexy.

I saw a urologist who came into Maskaras at the request of Dr. Garcia about 8 years ago and I don't remember his name. I had been advised by my urologist in Houston I needed a biopsy. Knowing the risks involved with a prostate biopsy, uncontrolled bleeding so surgery has to be postponed even if advised, I decided for a second opinion. He did an internal exam and sent me to Guad for an ultrasound. Said I have a good case of BPH but no reason for surgery. He said every day when he goes into the hospital for rounds he hears the screams of men in Recovery and told me that he will never have that surgery unless it's a last resort. YMMV

Be sure to do your research and due diligence on the TURP procedure and its myriad of potential complications before you proceed!!

Three years ago in 2015, when faced with my own acute urinary retention crisis related to an enlarged prostate, I rejected TURP, HoLEP, ThuLEP, green light laser, and all other  procedures that involve "cutting away" prostate tissue, whether surgically or via a laser. They all seem barbaric, and the possible complications (uncontrolled bleeding, impotence, retrograde ejaculation, incontinence) were off-putting, to say the least. I prefer not to have to depend on Depends for the rest of my life, thank you very much.

Instead, I opted for prostatic artery embolization (PAE) performed by these guys (click on link):

Hospital St. Louis, Lisbon - Prostate Artery Embolization

Send me a PM if you want more details, but I can say this: the PAE procedure under local anesthetic was successful, I was up and around in less than 24 hours with no significant complications, and I've been off all meds for BPH and peeing freely for the past three years.

Today, 2018, there are several other options that were either experimental in 2015 or simply not available at all. An overview is here at this link:

Update on minimally invasive surgery and benign prostatic hyperplasia

The one alternative to TURP that does seem to be readily available (at least in the States) is the prostatic urethal lift:

UroLift System

Don't know much about it, but I think it's become available in Mexico, too. Sr. Google is your friend...

HTH,

Don

4 hours ago, CharlieG said:

Yes, he is a urologist who comes out once a week to the Quality Care clinic.

Thank you CharlieG.  Before moving any further, you might communicate with bmh if you haven't already.  Their, along with Lexy's experiences have convinced me that I need to keep searching for a urologist.  

Best of luck to you!

pm

Archived