Chapala.com Webboard

Pizza oven

Justathought

I considered having one built, but I am going to buy a stone floored gas oven instead. I'll just have it built into the bbq area. Mercado Libre had a good selection. 

Yeah, wood and coal fired pizza are nice, but I decided I didn't want to hassle the whole ash cleaning and disposal. 

You can get refractionary brick at HD or on Mercado Libre as well. Then you also need the correct mortar. 

Yeah, plain old brick and mortar will work, but longevity will be compromised. 

My husband built me one according to the proper specks.  It can bake a pizza in 1-2 min at 800 degrees.  Any hotter and it gets pretty toasty.  Takes a few hours to get it heated well.  Pretty authentic experience.  

You would want to make sure you install the proper brick floor so you don’t get cracking and it heats evenly.  

I can make a great pizza by flipping over a cookie sheet in the convection oven at 500 degrees, takes 6-8 min per pizza

Our woodfired oven is now used for special occasions.  

When we came down from Canada to Puerto Vallarta I had visions of building a wood fired oven on the deck. I brought down a heavy cast iron door, made by the Amish, sold by Lehmans. You can use this as a door to the oven, but maybe in an ash pit for the oven. Just push the ashes into the hole and empty it once in a while - fireproof. I also brought down the "Breadbuilders" book, which is about bread but also has an in depth section on wood fired ovens. I would like these to see a good home. I rarely eat pizza, my pizza taste buds have worn out. I like artisan bread and Arab flatbreads. But I can cook those on my wood/charcoal bucket stove. It only uses a quart bag of charcoal and gets up to 700 degrees per run, it is also is designed to hold a steel wok.

Archived