Chapala.com Webboard

Dental Health One: Dr Candy's brother

suep

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he is the male dentist that I saw at her office 6 months ago,  he is waaay to green to be working on patients by himself.  He cleaned my teeth, but only on the outer side not the inside toward my tongue.  In his exam he said I had cracked tooth and needed a crown.  Went to Dental Express about crown as cheaper and much faster and he said my longitudinal crack was normal and didn't need to be repaired.  Went to my regular dentist and she said the same thing about the crack but saw that I had cavities just above the crown next to the "cracked" tooth.  Got cavities fixed and a root canal and new crown.  Very happy--I will never return to Dr. Candy as she didn't examine my teeth after her brother did his work.  Perhaps she would have found my other problems but I don't think much of her lack of judgement about the work her brother did under her supervision.

13 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

My appt. was at her office to get my teeth cleaned.  I didn't know and wasn't told that someone else would be cleaning my teeth other than her.  Or that she wouldn't be checking any abnormalities or problem areas that he found.

Same thing with me. I believe things changed about a year ago when Dr Candy became to busy to do cleanings.   I asked for an appointment for a cleaning and that's what I got.. I now knows I should of asked for a cleaning and check up.

5 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

Same thing with me. I believe things changed about a year ago when Dr Candy became to busy to do cleanings.   I asked for an appointment for a cleaning and that's what I got.. I now knows I should of asked for a cleaning and check up.

In the U.S. dentists do not clean teeth. However, when the cleaning is finished the dentist comes in and examines your mouth making sure the cleaning was done properly and checks for problems. I guess Dr. Candy is too busy to do that? 

About 3 months ago I went to Dra. Candy for a consultation and cleaning. Dra. Candy did the consultation and I thought she would be doing the cleaning. But her brother did. It was a marginal cleaning at best and was significantly more expensive than Dental Express... more on the lines of the cost at Dr. Barragan.  Dra. Candy told me that he was in dental school, so unless he ‘graduated’ in the last few months he does not have a dental license. 

I will not go there for a cleaning again until/unless I talk with Dra. Candy and see what’s up.

He told me he was a dental student.  I think Dr. Candy is a very nice and personable. I was not pleased by the cleaning either. I, however , am not going to return to her practice and I intend on telling her why. Not in anger but if it were me, I would want to know. People often get upset and the person or persons never know why .I was in a great deal of pain when I saw her. It was x-rayed.  She told me I had a crack in the tooth but the oral surgeon looked at the  xray and said you have a massive infection. Yes, the tooth was pulled and no doubt that, it had destroyed the roots. 

I then had to have 8 caps in the front because something was causing my dentin to dissolve.  First the 4 front were straight across so looked very fake . I did ask and she filed the side ones down. There was a crust like substance on the top each tooth. It could not be removed and the gum never came down to cover it as I was told it would. Lastly one of the 2 front teeth started to push out so they looked uneven  and felt slightly loose. The tooth on the left side near the front could be pulled out manually. A black spot developed on one and could not be removed with brushing.

I went 4 times to get a bite guard and it never fit.  I did have a second and third opinion and was  x-rayed every which way and was told it would have to be done all over again. I had something called leaking from 2 teeth and showed me the residue, the black spot was a bubble and on the top was the dental adhesive. Yes my front tooth was moving out in front of the other. I was told I could wait a few months but at the end of the year , if I didn't have it redone, I would have some big dental problems. Now one could say the doctor just wanted money so told me these things, but two dentists? Like I said, as a person I really like Candy. Perhaps she needs a little more professional guidance before taking on these sort of procedures.

12 hours ago, RickS said:

Actually you had two... but that was a Looooong time ago.....   B)

You mean the baby ones?  Yeah, that was so looooong ago I forgot about 'em.  Still have most of the next set issued but didn't get my fair share of "wisdom" since those are gone.  In any case, I'd like to keep the remainder by going to a real dentist who does his own cleaning.:D

Back home, dentists stopped clean teeth themselves decades ago. Now, dental assistants have been opening their own offices, and hiring "dental chairside assistants". So you go to a dental surgeon for the big stuff, and for basic stuff, he sends you to another office, and the chairside assistant now does what the assistant used to do.

The last time I had cleaning done up there, it was called scaling. I had dental insurance from work, but the entire year's worth was wiped out from the scaling of one quarter of my teeth.

Does that mean that he has just started the actual hands-on part of his training, as in the USA, where the first two years are classroom study and the second two years are lab and practice under supervision?

My wife is getting ready to start some extensive dental work at this clinic; could someone PM me with the name of this "technician"?  I want to be sure that she is in the hands of a "licenced" experienced dentist.  The man that she saw yesterday looked very young; that alone is no indicator of expertise of course but we want someone who will get it right the first time as it has taken me years to talk the patient into going to the dentist.

2 minutes ago, J.Miller said:

My wife is getting ready to start some extensive dental work at this clinic; could someone PM me with the name of this "technician"?  I want to be sure that she is in the hands of a "licenced" experienced dentist.  The man that she saw yesterday looked very young; that alone is no indicator of expertise of course but we want someone who will get it right the first time as it has taken me years to talk the patient into going to the dentist.

It's pretty clear from previous posts that Dr. Candy is out of commission right now and the brother is not yet a dentist, so you might not want to go back there until there is a licensed, experience dentist on board to treat your wife.  Somewhere in this thread a poster said that there would be a regular dentist there, so best to call first.

Who and where is Dr. Barragan?  Also, can anyone recommend someone experienced and English speaking in the area?  We are willing to spend more to make sure that the work is as painless as possible and that the work is done properly the first time.  PM me if you would rather not make a public announcement!

14 minutes ago, J.Miller said:

Who and where is Dr. Barragan?  Also, can anyone recommend someone experienced and English speaking in the area?  We are willing to spend more to make sure that the work is as painless as possible and that the work is done properly the first time.  PM me if you would rather not make a public announcement!

Dr. Barragan has been our dentist for around ten years.  He is very competent and I highly recommend him.  His office is located on the frontage road by Mirasol.  (East of Riberas).

Archived