Chapala.com Webboard

Question about hiring a full-time live-in housekeeper

JeffWeico

Hello,

I will be moving down in September. I had planned on renting a small one bedroom place when I got there as I am a single person with a cat. But my brother decided to interfere in my life once again. Don't get me wrong, he is an awesome guy and I love him, but he has always been just a little bit overprotective of me. He wanted me to be inside a gated community, so he made arrangements to rent a 4 bedroom house in the Racquet Club area. 3,856 square feet. I would have been fine with 700 square feet. Anyway, it is clear that I will need a housekeeper.

What we were thinking of is a live-in housekeeper who would have his or her own bedroom, their food would be paid for and we would pay into the necessary system so they get benefits. Since it will only be me most of the time (I'm sure my brother will visit frequently) and him sometimes, this will not be the most demanding job. Cleaning the house and keeping it clean, some cooking, perhaps shopping and taking care of the cat. I have always cleaned up after myself, so it is not like a huge mess will be created everyday. Part of the job will just be to keep tabs on me. A couple of years ago, I passed out, hit my  head on a filing cabinet and was taken to the hospital. After many tests, they found out I had a rare type of Muscular Dystrophy. It has not disabled me (they have a very good drug to control it) but when it flares up, it can temporarily cause me a problem, like that passing out incident I mentioned.

So, the duties would be keeping the house looking good, light cooking, some shopping and calling the appropriate emergency services number should I have another episode. I don't expect that this person would work 24/7. In fact, it does not seem like there would even be enough work for 8 hours.  But I am willing to pay this person full time with benefits. I am also willing to pay above average wages to get a good person who will want to keep their job. Of course they would have days off, paid vacation and all of the other normal benefits as well.

So my questions are: Where do we find such a person? Do they have agencies for this somewhere in the Lake Chapala area? Do we take out an advertisement somewhere? And as far as the pay goes, what is a reasonable starting salary? What would be a good above average salary? And what would be too much? I don't want to be cheap because when we get a good person, I want them to stay. As for us we are generally nice people, and are pretty laid back.

Thanks,

Jeff

5 hours ago, JeffWeico said:

Hello,

I will be moving down in September. I had planned on renting a small one bedroom place when I got there as I am a single person with a cat. But my brother decided to interfere in my life once again. Don't get me wrong, he is an awesome guy and I love him, but he has always been just a little bit overprotective of me. He wanted me to be inside a gated community, so he made arrangements to rent a 4 bedroom house in the Racquet Club area. 3,856 square feet. I would have been fine with 700 square feet. Anyway, it is clear that I will need a housekeeper.

What we were thinking of is a live-in housekeeper who would have his or her own bedroom, their food would be paid for and we would pay into the necessary system so they get benefits. Since it will only be me most of the time (I'm sure my brother will visit frequently) and him sometimes, this will not be the most demanding job. Cleaning the house and keeping it clean, some cooking, perhaps shopping and taking care of the cat. I have always cleaned up after myself, so it is not like a huge mess will be created everyday. Part of the job will just be to keep tabs on me. A couple of years ago, I passed out, hit my  head on a filing cabinet and was taken to the hospital. After many tests, they found out I had a rare type of Muscular Dystrophy. It has not disabled me (they have a very good drug to control it) but when it flares up, it can temporarily cause me a problem, like that passing out incident I mentioned.

So, the duties would be keeping the house looking good, light cooking, some shopping and calling the appropriate emergency services number should I have another episode. I don't expect that this person would work 24/7. In fact, it does not seem like there would even be enough work for 8 hours.  But I am willing to pay this person full time with benefits. I am also willing to pay above average wages to get a good person who will want to keep their job. Of course they would have days off, paid vacation and all of the other normal benefits as well.

So my questions are: Where do we find such a person? Do they have agencies for this somewhere in the Lake Chapala area? Do we take out an advertisement somewhere? And as far as the pay goes, what is a reasonable starting salary? What would be a good above average salary? And what would be too much? I don't want to be cheap because when we get a good person, I want them to stay. As for us we are generally nice people, and are pretty laid back.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff, talk to an attorney. When I came here 20 years ago most Mexican estates here had live in help. the government changed the law and ALL of these households got rid of the live in help. As I recall it the government folded in the value of residence and meals supplied and that had to be figured into severance and alquinaldo. There may be other considerations as well. But now no one has live in help, except on ranchos in Texas. So far the IRS hasn't figured out the value of that bunk house. Talk to an attorney, or find a gringa roomate who will do the cleaning.

When I read the OP's post, my jaw dropped.  However, I've experienced a bit of family pressure myself and know the feeling.

Practical suggestion would be to PM Rony (who posts on here) about some of his contacts who need a job.  If a person is found who wants the live in situation, I would suggest going to Spencer McMullen, the attorney, and having a good solid contract drawn up to avoid any messiness.

I hope this works out for the OP.

Wouldn't the best solution be a housemate who receives a discount on their share of rent and the house expenses.  Doesn't necessarily sound like you need a nurse/housekeeper.  At least not yet.    You should try the housemate angle first.  There are plenty of people moving here with reduced circumstances who would appreciate having the opportunity.

That way they would not be working, you wouldn't be responsible and a whole bunch of probable problems wouldn't come your way.

I find it amusing that despite the OP saying the housekeeper would have “his or her” own bedroom, a “gringa” housemate who would clean was suggested and followed by other posts assuming a housemate who would clean would also be female. Are men unable or unwilling to keep a house clean? 

The brother of the OP has put him in a stressful situation. Whether he goes the paid help or cleaning roommate route the situation will likely cause more issues and problems than either ever considered. The OP sounds like a nice person. I wish him well.

Actually on Facebook pages for local rentals and information there are several single men looking for shared housing opportunities.  Everyone keeps their own mess picked up and shares the main area maintenance.  And housemate contracts would be a good idea with outline for breaking the contract.  We are going to see a lot more shared housing situtations as the housing availability diminishes and people coming here continue to look for places that cost $600 +/_ which is the amount it seems to be averaging.  At that it will take two and sometimes three individuals to rent a home.

3 minutes ago, bournemouth said:

I think the OP might be smart to tell his brother that the brother just rented himself a lovely home to use when he visits, and go back to his original idea of a small place for himself and his cat.  Life would be much less complicated.

LOL, that would clearly be the best idea for the OP but somehow.................I doubt he will go that route, sad.

3 hours ago, barcelonaman said:

There a lot of pretty and obliging young mexican girls who wouldnt be opposed to coming to an arrangenent !!

The OP is looking for someone who can clean and look after him should the need arise. "Pretty and obliging" was not the prerequisite. And yours was an ignorant and misogynistic comment.

9 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

The OP is looking for someone who can clean and look after him should the need arise. "Pretty and obliging" was not the prerequisite. And yours was an ignorant and misogynistic comment.

Didn't take long for the attacks to begin ! Actually, the post by the bman is accurate and whether you like it or not does not change its validity. I don't think you can call the bman's comment "misogynistic". Check the definition.

57 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

Didn't take long for the attacks to begin ! Actually, the post by the bman is accurate and whether you like it or not does not change its validity. I don't think you can call the bman's comment "misogynistic". Check the definition.

You are correct, Jim. It did not take long for you to attack. Whether you agree with or like what mudgirl said does not change the validity of it. I doubt she cares what you think she can or can not say in her comments. I am sure she appreciates you mansplaining misogyny to her though. 

28 minutes ago, Wookie said:

One thing more.  The Racket Club has never struck me as a true gated community.  We had relatives there and also friends.  We have never been stopped by any guard nor  do I remember ever seeing one.  Has that changed?

There is a guard at the gated entrance however they are not allowed to stop you from entering because the roads are publicly owned by the municipality of Jocotepec. The most they will do is record your name and license plate number, if that.

Misogyny (/mɪˈsɒɪni/) is the hatred of, contempt for, or prejudice against women or girls. Misogyny can be manifested in numerous ways, including social exclusion, sex discrimination, hostility, androcentrism, patriarchy, male privilege, belittling of women, violence against women, and sexual objectification

It is pretty obvious that the use of the word "pretty" and "obliging" together represents sexism, which is sexual objectification, as it implies "something more", and it also smacks resoundingly of "male privilege".

Androcentrism (ancient Greek, ἀνήρ, "man, male") is the practice, conscious or otherwise, of placing a masculine point of view at the center of one's world view, culture, and history, thereby culturally marginalizing femininity.

I don't think barcelonaman was being intentionally unpleasant, but his comment needed to be challenged. And attacking those challenges is just typical.

Many men are so used to using "locker room talk", either mild or extreme, that they don't even realize their basic attitude is belittling to women. When accused of being "misogynistic", they get bent out of shape. "Who, me? I LUV women."

In reality, there are Mexican (or same in any other country)girls who are willing to trade sexual favors for various considerations.  It's the world's oldest profession and is alive and well today.  It is not, however, an honored profession in the same class as nursing, and suggesting that the OP get a whore to care for him was at the least, inappropriate.;)

Careful. Al, they will accuse you of promoting homosexuality, instead of just reporting a fact, like bman did.

Sad when people are put down for stating the truth. But, then it easily identifies the "Elitists" among us.

Archived