Chapala.com Webboard

What Would You Do?

hensley

About a month ago a friend died suddenly and unexpectedly in her home. Her daughter in the States was concerned because she had been unable to reach her. She called a friend of her mom’s whose contact info she had. That friend called another friend who happened to live next door. That friend went over and the back door was opened as it always was during the day. She went in and found our friend dead on the floor. The contact friend had the doctor’s phone number and called him. He came over. He said he had to call the police because she had been dead more than 24 hours. As far as I know that went well. We all need to consider What If and plan accordingly.

3 hours ago, hensley said:

Calling the police is definitely something no one should do. Bad advice!!!!

The neighbors called the Consulate, they sent a warden out and he looked through the gate and said lets give this a couple of weeks and see if he shows up and off he went. They were a big help.

Go to a local locksmith.  Tell him you lost YOUR keys.  He will have the door open in no time at minimal cost.

If no one is home and everything looks inorder, lock the door when you leave.  If there is a problem, common sense will tell you what to do next.  

58 minutes ago, Oatsie said:

Go to a local locksmith.  Tell him you lost YOUR keys.  He will have the door open in no time at minimal cost.

If no one is home and everything looks inorder, lock the door when you leave.  If there is a problem, common sense will tell you what to do next.  

Don't do that..  You could be accused of stealing..   You have already lied Telling the locksmith you have lost YOUR keys.. You never enter the property without the police presence.. Or if you want to pay have a lawyer accompany you.. 

Call the police, explain the situation, they will accompany into the property..  

22 hours ago, Jeri said:

If its a gringo contact LCS, I think they have some sort of registry, perhaps can provide an emergency contact number.  For a Mexican neighbour, I would talk with other neighbours for more insight.

Edit to add: if the house is a rental find the owner/manager and request a check 

Landlords in Mexico do not legally have keys. A tenant should always have the locks changed when he moves in. 

Always give keys to a trusted neighbor/friend and/or your maid.  Have your instructions, phone numbers who need to be contacted,  info about your pets, etc. in a prominent place like your refrigerator.

A few years ago there was a company called Vida Alarms here.  But they didn’t have enough customers to continue.  It was a “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up” business.  Since I live alone I try to always have my cell phone with me just in case.  

Even if you don’t live alone, having emergency contacts is important.  What if both of you are in an accident, for example.  Who needs to be notified?  

TelZ4, I have been PM'd with the information this is just an exercise in learning what others would do .... Not an actual situation.  I do wish this had been made perfectly clear to begin with. ... Such as "This is not a real time situation but in case it ever happened what should we do?". If you go back and read some of the posts it is obvious I was not the same only on worried and sick at heart.  Not appreciated.

1 hour ago, Wookie said:

TelZ4, I have been PM'd with the information this is just an exercise in learning what others would do .... Not an actual situation.  I do wish this had been made perfectly clear to begin with. ... Such as "This is not a real time situation but in case it ever happened what should we do?". If you go back and read some of the posts it is obvious I was not the same only on worried and sick at heart.  Not appreciated.

I thought from the OP that it was a hypothetical, but when the original poster began answering specific questions and did not ever correct the assumptions being made I thought it was a real situation. I don’t find it amusing when compassionate people who are obviously concerned about a person possibly in trouble are just left dangling. 

It started out Hypothetical, so we could find out what to do.

The person in questioned has been found today.

He fell in the bathroom at night and waited until the housekeeper came the next day and she helped him get to the Dr. He did not stay at the hospital at Maskaras, they took him right to Casa Nosotros. He said he couldn't get to his phone so he dragged himself to the bedroom and grabbed a blanket and wrapped himself in it for the night on the floor.

The neighbors finally saw the housekeeper and asked her about him yesterday and that is how we found out where he is, they put him in Casa Nosotros for a couple of weeks while he heals from a cracked rib and banged up knee.

Now to give him hell about letting his neighbors and friends know what is going on and get him some crosswords, where do I find some for him, he loves them.

So he went missing for about 9 days before we heard anything.

Archived